Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 12:06 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Two kinds of people in the world: those who can take a joke and those who can't.

Only thing different about modern society versus "back in the day" is that now we grovel and beg before the people who can't take a joke, and back in the day, we didn't.

This is why a lot of comedians refuse to perform at colleges anymore. The snowflake generation not only can't take a joke, they get hysterical and insane over jokes period, and the law/culture sides with their hysterics.

America needs to lighten up.
Oh please. One of my favorite comedians is Daniel Tosh. He's about the most "offensive" comedian out there. The establishment owner is not a comedian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 03:36 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
I only see it racist if they specified the race of the kids. However, it was very insensitive andvery unprofessional for a company to have such a sign.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:53 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
. Not to mention the business posting the insensitive sign should be aware of how it could be taken given the history.
I am tiring of hearing this bit. Private citizens are not responsible for every single stranger's particular sensitivities.

Last edited by Jimbo302; 10-08-2018 at 05:52 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 05:21 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Stuff like that isn't funny at all. It is really disturbing. I am the descendant of slaves. If I ever saw that sign in a restaurant, I would walk out, never come back, and tell other people not to eat there. However, there would be some people who say "it's just a joke" or "don't take it so serious". My thing is that maybe if that person fears losing money, said person will think twice.

I also know there are some persons who know that this is quite insensitive and crass. Some will excuse it by saying "the more offensive it is, the funnier it is", or "humor is suppose to be offensive".

By the way, what was going through your mind when you were part of that "auction" as a kid?

You're kidding right? When was that? Over 150 years ago? 200 years ago? 400 years ago? You must be super-traumatized to live in the richest country in the history of the World where opportunity abounds, and yet you still suffer from the experiences of ancestors you've never met. It must be tough to read a history book about how rough things were hundreds of years before you were born into unlimited opportunity. But please, by all means, tell us all how rough you've had it because several hundred years ago you had a distant cousin who would have killed to have the choices you have today.

Get a sense of humor and get over your self-pity. It's pathetic.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:22 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I read this and think "wow", you wasted that much space just to tell me my feelings about this are invalid. You could have just said "I don't care how you feel about it" and moved on.

1) I'm not a slave, but my ancestors were. And that pisses me off alot because of how my ancestors were treated in America and how things continued to be bad after slavery ended. All that stuff is in the past, but I'm not going to forget about it, and I do know there are some people who still want those bad old days back.

2) If you think people are "pretending" to find racism and oppression, you are part of the problem. Just because Jim Crow is illegal now, just because other things that took place back then are now illegal doesn't mean racism has ended. There is still alot of stupid stuff going on today. It just takes place in a more covert way, or in other cases, justified under other guises. The fact that job discrimination and police brutality is still major issues should be evidence of that.

3) I haven't "blamed" anyone for injustices. I was talking about a sign that has some very stupid connotations and likely should never be found funny because of this country's history. And if you think this is about "coddling" to race baiting, then you are the one who is lost.

Something else. I am aware of how Jews have been treated. I don't see anyone telling Jews to "get over it" when it comes to talking about the Holocaust. Why? Because we understand it should never be forgotten. It could happen again. I'm not going to forget what happened to my ancestors. It could easily happen again.
The holocaust is different. People who experienced it are still alive.

Those who experienced slavery in america are not.

Discrimination is not slavery and I dont practice it and have rarely seen it.

If your attitude is as expressed here I have no doubt you have experienced it but it had little to do with the color of your skin.

In a related issue this is why people with names like Latwanda etc. often do not get responses to job resumes. The businesses do not mind employing blacks. They do mind having employees they can expect to start trouble and having a name that shouts out your ethnicity is a good indicator of that. Parents who name their children names like that usually raise them to be racially divisive. Put african ancestry over being american. Many like you feel strongly that they can never "get over" slavery.
Why would white people hire you knowing you come to the job with such preconceived contempt for them?
Im not saying you need to have a name like Bob or Dave. But black discrimination is often self created.
People are just tired of the stress and tension for something we had no part of.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:34 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Its makes sense most black people don't support Republicans. They are the party of white supremacy and excusing the actions of police officers who execute black people in the street. Not to mention pushing policies that help the wealthy and screw the working class. It only makes sense to be a Republican if you are white and wealthy.
So let me quote you on this the next time I see people saying that Trump supporters are all uneducated trailer park trash.
I mean the wealthy are like the 1% right?
How did Trump win lacking 99% of the vote?
So why dont you care about the white people being executed by police in the street? Theres twice as many of them as blacks.
But anywsy you still have not explained what donald trump had to do with blacks being shot. He had never held public office not as republican or anything else.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:42 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
My HS had a senior slave day to raise money every year. Underclassmen would buy them. All races and ethnicities participated with no outcry or complaints. I am sure that practice went by the wayside years after I graduated or maybe they call it something else. I "bought" one of my friends and made her drive me everywhere for a week. People are too offended by every little thing.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:50 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
My HS had a senior slave day to raise money every year. Underclassmen would buy them. All races and ethnicities participated with no outcry or complaints. I am sure that practice went by the wayside years after I graduated or maybe they call it something else. I "bought" one of my friends and made her drive me everywhere for a week. People are too offended by every little thing.
My school had the same. I recognized at the time that it was probably a bad idea.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:00 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Many places/businesses/organizations did, because it is not a unilateral term. Reasonable people understand this.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:02 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Thumbs up 'Unattended & unruly children will be arrested & sold as slaves': Colorado restaurant apologizes after coming under fir

Seen in a store in Cloudcroft, NM:

"Unattended children will be given an energy drink and a free puppy."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies