Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 08:12 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Maybe I can't see the humor in it. I don't consider myself lost at all. I don't understand how it would be funny considering the history of the USA and my own family history.
Slavery has always been part of human history. I searched my New Testament for hours looking for a condemnation of slavery. Jesus never condemned it.

Thank goodness, we have a more human view of the world today. But in my town, slavery is alive and well.

What do you want to call bringing in undocumented people, paying them less than minimum wage, putting them in corporate housing, and charging them huge amount for rent? Happens all over this country, all day every day. Get offended about that. Get offended about the sex slavery all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 08:19 PM

23,548 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
You don't get to tell me how I should feel about this. I might not be a slave, but I'm descended from slaves, and stuff like this is not funny to me. Got a problem with how I feel? Too bad!! I don't take crap from anyone.
I agree with you on this, it is wrong. I also feel the same when those on the left casually point at those on the right and call them hitler or a nazi. There are just some things that shouldn't be done or said. With that being said, the left has been going overboard with the pc crap so it would be no wonder if there is a push back with people looking the other way when the pc crowd gets revved up.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:29 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
My father is in his 60s and would likely find that sign off putting. He is the type of man who would walk out of such an establishment if he saw that sign. He would be polite, but he'd walk out, and then encourage me never to eat there.

I'm 32 and I'm more likely to raise a stink over it.
I think it’s funny getting upset over something so unimportant it’s overwhelming , everyone seems too be getting thier panties in a bunch over nothing. More worried about a sing that’s harmless then our country going down a sink hole before our very eyes.

Tell me where the sign touched you.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:01 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Honestly that does seem in bad taste, even as a libertarian leaning moderate. It's not even really that funny. There's a place in Rapid City called "Philly Teds" that has more humorous stuff hanging on the walls. Would I leave the establishment? Bleep no. Freedom of speech is good. It's their liability though and if I was the owner I wouldn't use the sign.

With that said, nobody likes listening to screaming young children in a restaurant. Same as the people who leave their dogs out barking in the yard all day without giving it a second thought. Some people just don't care about anyone but themselves.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:04 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This is hilarious.

Have to say -- from my experience being around lots and lots and lots and lots of parents over years and years......the ones that tend to be the kind to complain about this kind of a sign -- are you sitting down -- are the most conservtive, religious. Their children are precious and please don't ever say anything so nasty about them. It's disturbing........lol

The most liberal parents are like - oh heck my kids are the worst -- please lock them up -- lol......

Old 10-06-2018, 09:05 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
I've actually been in that café. It's just like a lot of mom and pops out west that tack up anything and everything on their walls. I didn't even notice it. I seriously doubt that they meant to offend anyone.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:10 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times
It's always funny to the person in power......

Old 10-06-2018, 09:13 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I've actually been in that café. It's just like a lot of mom and pops out west that tack up anything and everything on their walls. I didn't even notice it. I seriously doubt that they meant to offend anyone.
No one thought that anyone in anyway shape or form would be offended from a sign. I truly believe people like and want too be offended, it gives them something too think about then thier own lives.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:40 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
Quote:
You don't get to tell me how I should feel about this. I might not be a slave, but I'm descended from slaves, and stuff like this is not funny to me. Got a problem with how I feel? Too bad!! I don't take crap from anyone.
You are a drama queen.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:15 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
You don't get to tell me "lighten up". I'll lighten up when I see fit. In this instance, I don't see it fit to do so. What I feel about it is what I feel, period. Nothing you can do about that.
Have fun with that life I guess. I will laugh my arse off at good jokes whether they are at my expense or someone else’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies