Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:49 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times

Advertisements

The ferocity of the left at various times over the last 10 years is far bigger than the issues. Liberals know that they took control of the culture in the 1930s and 40s. They know that FDR was pretty much the greatest president ever and that the history books have always taught kids that. They know that Republicans were pretty much dead and gone by 1980.
No-fault divorce, legal abortion, a totally different immigration pattern, the growth of The State, etc. etc. Everything was going their way, and was destined to keep doing so. They now had control of the schools and Hollywood, so they felt pretty confident that most young Americans would never even find out about the liberal takeover that had taken place.......not the full story, at least. People would think that American society had ALWAYS been liberal. (And even with foreign affairs, things were going in the "right" direction: it made them happy that America had been taken down a notch or two, by the Vietnamese, by the Russians, by the Iranians......Communism was preeminent and growing around the world and we had accepted that.......those were good developments.) Sure, Nixon had snuck in there, but they had taken him OUT, big time. Carter had governed as a pure liberal.
So 1979 and 1980 were about the best years for liberals, in hindsight. Their future looked golden.

But then Reagan (the "clown") happened. And here is the key point: THAT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. The "alternative ways to view the world" and politics were assumed to be long-dead. Liberals OWNED everything.....so how did Reagan happen?? It was impossible, and because it was so "impossible", it infuriated liberals. The "proper" ordering of the universe was not happening the way it was supposed to! And this led to the shock and the raw, emotional energy. The left had worked hard to own this country, and they thought they DID have it, and then that shockingly turned out to not be true at all. How did this happen?? They couldn't believe it.

Well, they thought FOR SURE that they had it all under control by 2008. Things had gotten back on track and a Reagan could never happen again. It had been a fluke. We were even more secular than ever. Demographics had changed in an even more "progressive" direction. Obama was God, Republicans' name was mud, and liberals still owned the culture lock, stock and barrel.
But it's been one bitter disappointment ever since. Midterm elections, Trump getting elected, and now the Kavanaugh fight......none of this was ""supposed to happen". Look, when you have owned the culture for 80 years, and your opponents' party was on its deathbed 40 years ago, none of this is "supposed" to be happening! Any one would feel the same.

And this is why the left gets as frantic, angry and rageful as they did during the Kavanaugh fight. It's not really the issues that matter....it's more psychological. The left has felt entitled to have everything go its way, yet these alternative ways to view the world still somehow persist (and are actually even victorious at times). And THAT is infuriating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 12:56 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
No, the issues matter a hell of a lot but with most of the priority given to two of them. 1. Liberals fear Roe v. Wade getting overturned. 2. Conservatives fear an eroding of the 2nd Amendment. Both the left and right can get severely wound up over those two issues.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:01 AM

14,764 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Because we see the current Administration and the far far right wing as a threat to our Democracy, our Constitution and everything that America has ever stood for. There has been an out and out assault on human rights and dignity.
It seems to me to be the beginning of an effort to separate people by religion, gender and race.

There is a war from the right on everything America has ever stood for. That is how I feel...totally outraged. Of course, I can only speak for myself. ( Keep in mind also that I was a Republican myself until two years ago...and I had been a republican since the 70's when I became of voting age.)

Old 10-07-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No, the issues matter a hell of a lot but with most of the priority given to two of them. 1. Liberals fear Roe v. Wade getting overturned. 2. Conservatives fear an eroding of the 2nd Amendment. Both the left and right can get severely wound up over those two issues.
Yeah, but at no time over the last 75 years have conservatives felt that they had the country and society "all sewn up". If anything they felt like they were wandering in the desert as pariahs......dispossessed of their home. Liberals have felt that they had it all sewn up ever since the late 1930s......the trajectory guaranteed complete victory.
And now this craziness is somehow happening to them!! How can this be??!

Their response has much more to do with emotion and psychology than the issues.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:09 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Yes liberals thought they were entitled to hold power forever after 8 years of Obama. They thought the open borders had changed the electorate to the point democrats were now invincible. They were prepared to run roughshod over America worse than even Obama had. They are losing their minds because that didn't happen.

While do agree with you liberals have been taking control of everything since the 1930s. I don't think Democrats thought they had the electorate sewn up till sometime in the 2000s and during the Obama administration.

And to the Crazee Cat Lady you might've been a republican but you were clearly not conservative.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The ferocity of the left at various times over the last 10 years is far bigger than the issues. Liberals know that they took control of the culture in the 1930s and 40s. They know that FDR was pretty much the greatest president ever and that the history books have always taught kids that. They know that Republicans were pretty much dead and gone by 1980.
No-fault divorce, legal abortion, a totally different immigration pattern, the growth of The State, etc. etc. Everything was going their way, and was destined to keep doing so. They now had control of the schools and Hollywood, so they felt pretty confident that most young Americans would never even find out about the liberal takeover that had taken place.......not the full story, at least. People would think that American society had ALWAYS been liberal. (And even with foreign affairs, things were going in the "right" direction: it made them happy that America had been taken down a notch or two, by the Vietnamese, by the Russians, by the Iranians......Communism was preeminent and growing around the world and we had accepted that.......those were good developments.) Sure, Nixon had snuck in there, but they had taken him OUT, big time. Carter had governed as a pure liberal.
So 1979 and 1980 were about the best years for liberals, in hindsight. Their future looked golden.

But then Reagan (the "clown") happened. And here is the key point: THAT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. The "alternative ways to view the world" and politics were assumed to be long-dead. Liberals OWNED everything.....so how did Reagan happen?? It was impossible, and because it was so "impossible", it infuriated liberals. The "proper" ordering of the universe was not happening the way it was supposed to! And this led to the shock and the raw, emotional energy. The left had worked hard to own this country, and they thought they DID have it, and then that shockingly turned out to not be true at all. How did this happen?? They couldn't believe it.

Well, they thought FOR SURE that they had it all under control by 2008. Things had gotten back on track and a Reagan could never happen again. It had been a fluke. We were even more secular than ever. Demographics had changed in an even more "progressive" direction. Obama was God, Republicans' name was mud, and liberals still owned the culture lock, stock and barrel.
But it's been one bitter disappointment ever since. Midterm elections, Trump getting elected, and now the Kavanaugh fight......none of this was ""supposed to happen". Look, when you have owned the culture for 80 years, and your opponents' party was on its deathbed 40 years ago, none of this is "supposed" to be happening! Any one would feel the same.
And this is why the left gets as frantic, angry and rageful as they did during the Kavanaugh fight. It's not really the issues that matter....it's more psychological. The left has felt entitled to have everything go its way, yet these alternative ways to view the world still somehow persist (and are actually even victorious at times). And THAT is infuriating.

This whole rant is ridiculous and nonsense. I do think FDR was one of the best Presidents ever...right along with Washington, Kennedy and Lincoln.

No American was happy with the rise of Communism or Iran. You're just being delusional if you think this. The Left thinks them no better than you do.

Nixon wasn't "taken down" by any one else but his own self and his own bad choices.

Reagan a mistake? I am sure you consider me a Liberal, and I loved Reagan. (Not everything he did, but there were things about him that I really liked at times.) You can't lump everyone together in one big group. It's not that simple.

Trump and Kavanaugh are low points in American History. They are both ideologically opposed to American ideas and tradition. A blight for Humanity and Social Justice.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
This whole rant is ridiculous and nonsense. I do think FDR was one of the best Presidents ever...right along with Washington, Kennedy and Lincoln.

No American was happy with the rise of Communism or Iran. You're just being delusional if you think this. The Left thinks them no better than you do.

Nixon wasn't "taken down" by any one else but his own self and his own bad choices.

Reagan a mistake? I am sure you consider me a Liberal, and I loved Reagan. (Not everything he did, but there were things about him that I really liked at times.) You can't lump everyone together in one big group. It's not that simple.

Trump and Kavanaugh are low points in American History. They are both ideologically opposed to American ideas and tradition. A blight for Humanity and Social Justice.
You were a Republican in 1980, so of course you were happy that his miraculous election happened.
Dems were just shocked and PIs$ED.

(MANY western leftists were happy with the international rise of communism. For example, Trump's arch-nemesis and hero of the left, John Brennan, voted for the Communist candidate in 1980. Obama's mentors thought very highly of Russia, China and communism.)

Old 10-07-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yes liberals thought they were entitled to hold power forever after 8 years of Obama. They thought the open borders had changed the electorate to the point democrats were now invincible. They were prepared to run roughshod over America worse than even Obama had. They are losing their minds because that didn't happen.

While do agree with you liberals have been taking control of everything since the 1930s. I don't think Democrats thought they had the electorate sewn up till sometime in the 2000s and during the Obama administration.

And to the Crazee Cat Lady you might've been a republican but you were clearly not conservative.

I don't think any Liberal thought that we would hold power forever....that would be the most dangerous thing to our Country, that could ever happen. When one party become too dominant in all the branches of Government, it's not good (what we have at present)...because that much power breeds corruption (The Democrats didn't have complete control, you still controlled the Legislative branch of Government..esp after the midterms.)

Yes, I was a more Moderate Republican (started out very young as very Conservative though)...I never have believed in voting for someone just because they were a Republican or Democrat, I vote my conscience and have often voted over party lines. I never saw one side or the other as completely evil or good, like so many do....until maybe now that is....Trump and this extreme wing of the GOP is
sobering and frightening.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:27 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Both sides are wound up, locked in a bitter struggle. Among other things, every battle between the two parties starts with either a social issue, or ends up there, to wit a Supreme Court issue degenerating into a sexual abuse issue. As far as I am concerned, both parties have betrayed what were once core values that were argued out in the Congress. The debates over social issues took place in state and local governments. As a result, both parties more resemble social movements than governing bodies, leaving the Congress unable to debate, or pass important bills.

Both parties could benefit from re-inventing themselves. But I see no real prospect for this.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:28 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I don't think any Liberal thought that we would hold power forever....that would be the most dangerous thing to our Country, that could ever happen. When one party become too dominant in all the branches of Government, it's not good (what we have at present)...because that much power breeds corruption (The Democrats didn't have complete control, you still controlled the Legislative branch of Government..esp after the midterms.)

Yes, I was a more Moderate Republican (started out very young as very Conservative though)...I never have believed in voting for someone just because they were a Republican or Democrat, I vote my conscience and have often voted over party lines. I never saw one side or the other as completely evil or good, like so many do....until maybe now that is....Trump and this extreme wing of the GOP is
sobering and frightening.
I think you have a very superficial understanding and viewpoint of the whole matter. Trump's policies themselves are the most moral I can remember and more so than even the mainstream GOP, while the democrats are just operating on not much more than identity group politics .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies