Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

My client is a large US corporation where 95% of the IT workforce in Dallas are from India. The trend of Indians taking over the IT industry has been going on for a long time, but now I notice the same happening in healthcare. The last 5 doctors I have seen are either from India, Pakistan or mid-east. Later today I will see a Syrian doctor. Also, the interns accompanying the doctors are also foreign.

It seems upside down. I would prefer low skilled immigrants do jobs Americans do not want (landscaping, fruit picking, construction etc) and keep the highly skilled / highly paid jobs in American hands.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:44 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Low skill people create low skill babies who wont pick vegetables when they grow up.

CONTROLLED high skill immigration is good. NOT H1b style. Green card to citizen style. Had an Indian/Pakistan customer at my 2nd job yesterday. ZERO accent and probably born here. Kind of freaked me out but that will be the trend. Coworker at same job is from India. Two native born kids. BOTH doctors. Her and her kids are net pluses to the USA.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:46 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
My client is a large US corporation where 95% of the IT workforce in Dallas are from India. The trend of Indians taking over the IT industry has been going on for a long time, but now I notice the same happening in healthcare. The last 5 doctors I have seen are either from India, Pakistan or mid-east. Later today I will see a Syrian doctor. Also, the interns accompanying the doctors are also foreign.

It seems upside down. I would prefer low skilled immigrants do jobs Americans do not want (landscaping, fruit picking, construction etc) and keep the highly skilled / highly paid jobs in American hands.
You can never have enough bright, highly skilled people in a country. If we wanted to migrate to Europe, Australia or New Zeland, we’d all have to jump through hoops to make sure they were letting in people who would contribute and be a good addition. The US should do the same.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Low skill people create low skill babies who wont pick vegetables when they grow up.
If they grow up in US, they will learn English and get educated, so hopefully they will find better jobs, serve in the military etc.

Quote:
CONTROLLED high skill immigration is good. NOT H1b style. Green card to citizen style. Had an Indian/Pakistan customer at my 2nd job yesterday. ZERO accent and probably born here. Kind of freaked me out but that will be the trend. Coworker at same job is from India. Two native born kids. BOTH doctors. Her and her kids are net pluses to the USA.
H1B is a form of "merit based" immigration, and a pathway to green card and citizenship. They have decimated the IT industry, and are in process of taking over healthcare.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
You can never have enough bright, highly skilled people in a country. If we wanted to migrate to Europe, Australia or New Zeland, we’d all have to jump through hoops to make sure they were letting in people who would contribute and be a good addition. The US should do the same.
We are doing the same, and as a result we have allowed Indians to take over one highly paid industry already.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:54 AM

1,261 posts, read 567,695 times
Deport all non-Christian Indians and 3rd world immigrants

Old 10-08-2018, 06:55 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,339,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why? We already have enough low skilled people here we have to take care of, we don't need more burdening the system.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Why? We already have enough low skilled people here we have to take care of, we don't need more burdening the system.
There is a severe of construction workers for example, and it is driving prices up. Give them a temporary visa, make them pay taxes and they will contribute to the system.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:01 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times

Old 10-08-2018, 07:04 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Wellll do we blame immigration or do we blame our universities and culture?

I have met foreign college aged kids from all over the world and have inlaws in Ireland and the difference between them and American kids is that their studies are the number one concern for them whereas many American kids study hard but they also party hard.

I think foreign people apply themselves to their studies and jobs more so than Americans do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies