Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the midterms actually about Donald Trump?
Yes, because Congress will oppose Trump. 1 20.00%
Yes, because Congress will enact Trump's MAGA agenda. 2 40.00%
No, its only about the relative benefit of liberals vs conservatives and nothing to do with Trump. 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 01:59 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing this, and its actually coming from both sides of the aisle. There are liberals saying the midterms are all about getting control of Congress, but then they clarify that its so that they can "resist" Trump. And they don't mean legislation, they mean they will use Congressional committee power to harass him and members of his administration, or do things like "impeach" Kavanaugh.... because Trump can just veto any legislation they put forward if he decides to and they won't have enough votes to override him.
I have seen this first hand because my Representative has spent literally almost all of his time since the election "obstructing" and "Resisting" Trump. He refuses to do his actual job very often, and instead has made over 200 TV appearances this year alone, all about "Trump-Russia" and "collusion this and that" and other such things. Its like he thinks his job is just to oppose Donald Trump. Its kinda crazy!

On the right I've seen pundits and people in the conservative caucus acting basically as RNC spokespeople talking about GOTV activities and being very specific that the midterms are about supporting Trump's agenda. But there they ARE talking about legislation - about making sure that they can pass laws that promote the conservative ideals and reflect the MAGA ethos with regard to defense, trade, taxes, and immigration.

So here are two opposing groups saying the same thing, but meaning different things by it, but it still doesn't seem that simple. How can representation be distilled down to the support for or the opposition to one person? When we elect Congress, we aren't hiring them to enact the President's "agenda"....its the opposite - we elect the President to enact the laws passed by Congress - that's his job!

So I feel like its deceptively worded and counter-productive. You should be picking your representatives based on what they can do for your state as the representative, and for the nation in general...not whether they might (hopefully) obstruct, or support, Donald Trump.

Because Trump isn't the one coming up with laws that you might like or not like! That's all Congress!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies