Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 04:51 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why does everyone assume that only minorities will be targeted?

If a cop is on patrol in a high crime area and he sees some nefarious looking guys of any colour hanging out what is wrong with stopping to have a chat with them and a possible pat down?

If crime happens in black neighborhoods then guess where the cops will be patrolling?

If crime happens in hispanic neighborhoods then guess where the cops will be patrolling?

I used to live on Martha's Vineyard and I was stopped in traffic in Oaks Bluff and I watched as 2 white guys one carrying a case of beer were stopped by a cop walking his beat. The guys looked young. I couldn't hear the exchange but the guys produced their ID's and they were on their way. Some may look at that as a violation of the guys rights. Why should the cop stop them for walking down the sidewalk but I see it as a cop that cared about his community and cared about those young men that may have been heading to a party to get drunk and then later the same cop would be responding to an accident scene.

What is the difference if the cop is keeping the public safe on a posh island or the inner city of Chicago?

Imagine if a cop was to stop and frisk a guy and he finds an illegal gun. A gun that has been used to shoot people and would likely be used again.

Stop and Frisk is a good way to get the bad guys to stop carrying guns and then they would be less likely to pull one out in a fit of rage to murder a rival.

How about getting drugs off the streets.

There is nothing wrong with stop and frisk.
Theory is one thing. What actually happens is not obligated to prove theory.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
so harassing anyone that looks brown?

And i dont condone treating drug addiction as a crime, its a mental health issue, thry need help.

And satging pants? The 90s called, thry want their stereotype back lol
Not, skin color isn't the main or sole criteria and never was even for enforcement campaigns that use profiling, which have been extremely effective.

If you're willing to lock up the mentally ill for treatment, then you have my complete support. But its the left that demanded that stop. So not my problem....I didn't do it.

Yes, saggy pants is still something they are wearing. In addition, there is now the Summer Hoodie, the Summer Ski Parka, and the ubiquitous Summer Beanie - all pretty good indicators of Thug Life, yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Former mayor Guilliani claimed stop and frisk was a part of the strategy used in NYC to reduce crime.

What he fails to mention is that violent crime substantially reduced all over the US, regardless of strategy or no particular strategy used.

Those who study crime patterns have all sorts of theories as to why violent crime declined all over the US b
Actually stop and frisk was an integral part of it...it was part of the community policing model and the Broken Window theory that were together responsible for the big drop in NYC crime...and that was because it allowed police to have more frequent contact with known criminals. BTW, its not even a disputed practice or illegal to stop and frisk someone on probation..its part of their release conditions. They HAVE to submit to that, because they AGREED to it so they could get out.

The issue was that it was a small core population of people creating most of the crime. So just like a Gang Violence Unit, you have to focus on the people you KNOW are bad. So yes, you stop them, you talk to them, you shake them down to see if they're in violation, you call their PO if they are in a place or with associates they are not supposed to be, etc and so forth....and the second they get out of line, back they go! That's how they cleaned up NYC.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:40 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Not, skin color isn't the main or sole criteria and never was even for enforcement campaigns that use profiling, which have been extremely effective.

If you're willing to lock up the mentally ill for treatment, then you have my complete support. But its the left that demanded that stop. So not my problem....I didn't do it.

Yes, saggy pants is still something they are wearing. In addition, there is now the Summer Hoodie, the Summer Ski Parka, and the ubiquitous Summer Beanie - all pretty good indicators of Thug Life, yo.

Actually stop and frisk was an integral part of it...it was part of the community policing model and the Broken Window theory that were together responsible for the big drop in NYC crime...and that was because it allowed police to have more frequent contact with known criminals. BTW, its not even a disputed practice or illegal to stop and frisk someone on probation..its part of their release conditions. They HAVE to submit to that, because they AGREED to it so they could get out.

The issue was that it was a small core population of people creating most of the crime. So just like a Gang Violence Unit, you have to focus on the people you KNOW are bad. So yes, you stop them, you talk to them, you shake them down to see if they're in violation, you call their PO if they are in a place or with associates they are not supposed to be, etc and so forth....and the second they get out of line, back they go! That's how they cleaned up NYC.
They stopped and frisked thousands of people who were not criminals, to maybe catch a few who were. Not ready to give up my rights.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:21 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So you would have preferred that we not bomb ISIS? Team blue was in fact fine with that. Notice how little is said about Trump doing it either?
When was ISIS ever in Yemen? Or Libya when Gaddafi was in power?

The U.S. is ISIS's air force.

Little is said because Trump drone-bombing babies is fine with both Team Red AND Team Blue. Both gangs LOVE war.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:43 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Stop and frisk is fine by me. You only have to worry if you're doing something wrong. And cops should be the only ones who have guns so there's no risk.

- Combined Team Red and Team Blue thinking in one fell swoop

Old 10-09-2018, 06:45 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
The NYC mayor went on record pointing out that there has been no overall rise in crime since he ended stop-and-frisk.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:50 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
I don't agree with Trump on this as I feel it's unconstitutional.

However, I'm a little surprised at some of the comments here considering this is mainly a tactic used in areas that are about as blue as a smurf.

...and nobody wants to touch that reality.

Last edited by Mathguy; 10-09-2018 at 07:23 PM..

Old 10-09-2018, 06:51 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
When was ISIS ever in Yemen? Or Libya when Gaddafi was in power?

The U.S. is ISIS's air force.

Little is said because Trump drone-bombing babies is fine with both Team Red AND Team Blue. Both gangs LOVE war.

Yawn. Most of us still arent caring no matter which side. Sauidi is the ones killing the folks in Yemen, as for Libya, that was sort of a long time ago, and he did things like help blow up a airliner, so forgive me if I dont cry tears for the guy like you seem to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_103

Old 10-09-2018, 06:54 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Trump supporters are fine with this because they just assume its all the minorities that will be harassed this way. They don't care about everyones rights. Just their own. They dont recognize the danger in that even.
Yeah until someone decides to stop and frisk them or their kid and then they will scream about the liberals taking away their rights.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:58 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
[=green_mariner;53320019]Actually, the stats would disagree with you.

ht
tps://www.washingtonpost.com/news/th...=.7d40ed65c0cd

I spent nearly three years living and working in a small, over-the-hill southern industrial city, 85 percent non-white, so I don't think I qualify as a redneck from Peckerwood City. And during those years, I saw and learned enough to recognize that the majority of people of color are law-abiding, hard-working, and want to fully assimilate.

But it doesn't alter the sad fact that there remains a hard core who account for a disproportionate share of the crime in America, And while the proportion of these who are non-white is somewhat larger, they can usually be identified early-on, by both the police and the local residents. And for them, an assumption of "guilty until proven innocent" seems to be the rule -- not so much in a court of law as in the Court of Public opinion.

So I really don't think Mr. green_mariner has that much to be concerned about,

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-09-2018 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies