Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 10:52 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Great, they can be suspicious. They can't stop someone and frisk them because they have a "weird" cadence or are tugging on their shirt.

What you described ARE not illegal. How you walk, tugging on your shirt, etc are not illegal. You're now disingenuously changing the goal posts. We're talking about stop and frisk which implies that the cop does not know of any illegal activity yet otherwise no need for stop and frisk, the subject could just be arrested.
For some people, ANYTHING can be construed as suspicious. And that is kind of scary to me.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:04 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
For some people, ANYTHING can be construed as suspicious. And that is kind of scary to me.
Stop and frisk is a revenue generator. Nothing more, nothing less.
If anyone that supports it actually read something to realize that the gun shops are putting these illegal guns out on the street, they would be for stopping those back door gun sales, which would lower the crime in Chicago. Its easy, but trump doesnt want to do the tough solution, since it affects his base.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:25 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Stop and frisk is a revenue generator. Nothing more, nothing less.
If anyone that supports it actually read something to realize that the gun shops are putting these illegal guns out on the street, they would be for stopping those back door gun sales, which would lower the crime in Chicago. Its easy, but trump doesnt want to do the tough solution, since it affects his base.
S&F can be seen as a revenue generator. I see it as a bit more than that. Some people know who it will target. For that reason, some look at it as "it will keep the Black people in line".

I would expect gun shops to do their background checks for guns. When it comes to illegal guns, I would look to gun shows. The gun shows have alot of straw purchases. I do agree that going after straw purchases would hurt him as his voting base would get mad.

On the flip side, Stop and Frisk is more likely to affect Blacks and Hispanics the most. Any attempt to get Blacks to vote for Trump was weak and feigned. The "vote for me, what do you have to lose?" thing didn't vote over well with Blacks. Neither did that "look at my African-American over there" comment. Trump didn't get much of the Black vote, so I don't think it would mean much to him when it comes to S&F.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:21 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
S&F can be seen as a revenue generator. I see it as a bit more than that. Some people know who it will target. For that reason, some look at it as "it will keep the Black people in line".

I would expect gun shops to do their background checks for guns. When it comes to illegal guns, I would look to gun shows. The gun shows have alot of straw purchases. I do agree that going after straw purchases would hurt him as his voting base would get mad.

On the flip side, Stop and Frisk is more likely to affect Blacks and Hispanics the most. Any attempt to get Blacks to vote for Trump was weak and feigned. The "vote for me, what do you have to lose?" thing didn't vote over well with Blacks. Neither did that "look at my African-American over there" comment. Trump didn't get much of the Black vote, so I don't think it would mean much to him when it comes to S&F.
Straw purchases are almost impossible to control, just like private sales. You can't be everywhere, all the time. One state has a law against private sales and has found it impossible to enforce.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:27 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Trump, typically ignorant, typically stubborn, conveniently ignores that NYC has done pretty well after eliminating stop-and-frisk.

Now, let's all pause for a moment to imagine Trump's fury if he, as an ordinary citizen in 2015, had ever been stopped and frisked himself.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:32 PM

2,309 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
This case is not about an Administrative search. "Frisk" as a search is being discussed. A "touching" is a pat down. So leaving out the ADMIN element, would the courts consider it a search and would it violate the 4th AM?
Now I'm confused. You gave a scenario of a cop at a bus stop searching bags asking if that's considered a search, right? I answered yes it is and it would be considered an administrative search. A frisk and a pat down are interchangeable. It's the same thing but people may use one or the other and a frisk isn't considered a search per Terry v. Ohio.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Great, they can be suspicious. They can't stop someone and frisk them because they have a "weird" cadence or are tugging on their shirt.
Yes they can. Terry v. Ohio. As an example, here are some videos demostrating it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_3QkvLozji4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N6bV_2hmsVg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-5QYTg3--cA&t=123s

Quote:
What you described ARE not illegal. How you walk, tugging on your shirt, etc are not illegal. You're now disingenuously changing the goal posts.
As I said, the combination of doing the things I described can be indicators of illegal activity. I did not said that they were illegal actions on their own.

Quote:

We're talking about stop and frisk which implies that the cop does not know of any illegal activity yet otherwise no need for stop and frisk, the subject could just be arrested.
Evidence?

Old 11-25-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
New York kept records. The majority were black.
Correlation doesn't equal causation. Maybe the reason why most of the arrestees are black is because that's where most of the crime happen to be. You can't prove racism just by the number of blacks arrested alone.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:12 PM

1,037 posts, read 434,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Now I'm confused. You gave a scenario of a cop at a bus stop searching bags asking if that's considered a search, right? I answered yes it is and it would be considered an administrative search. A frisk and a pat down are interchangeable. It's the same thing but people may use one or the other and a frisk isn't considered a search per Terry v. Ohio.
read minnesota v. dickerson 1993 ussc. if that does not convince you a frisk is not a search, i give up.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:18 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
The irony here is that it's was a prevalent tactic in mostly democratic areas.

*shrug* That's up to the areas involved and of course constitutional challenge.

I don't support it as I don't feel it's constitutional.

That being said. You ever stopped and actually thought about WHERE the most abusive police forces towards minorities are located?

Seems like people are quiet about it due to politics, unless they can jump on someplace like Ferguson or if Trump opens his stupid pie-hole.

That being said, consider the brutal irony...Trump is saying to do what most democratic urban areas had been doing for a long time. But now....its *bad*. It was bad before....just not something you could do anything about.

But don't worry, it's all fixed now.

Trump bad. LAPD good. CPD, NYPD....good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies