Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Oh you must mean Fox News.
Biased news is a problem. It's not as one sided as your blinders will allow you to see, but it is a real problem that permeates most of our media. I think the current incestuous relationship our government and media have with each other violates at least the spirit of the concept of freedom of the press. Then when you factor in the fact that the media is mostly privately owned, there are fascist aspects to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 08:19 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Biased news is a problem. It's not as one sided as your blinders will allow you to see, but it is a real problem that permeates most of our media. I think the current incestuous relationship our government and media have with each other violates at least the spirit of the concept of freedom of the press. Then when you factor in the fact that the media is mostly privately owned, there are fascist aspects to it.
Quoted for truth.

This story could well be true... But Breitbart?!? really!? sigh. Cant find it anywhere else even moderately unbiased.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:37 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
They've found a loophole in the 1st amendment. Privatize the primary means of communication and information gathering and you can censor it at will. It's all nice and legal like. Where's Teddy Roosevelt when you need him?
Loophole?????!!!!!?????? Clearly, your high school civics class failed you. Or you failed it.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:37 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Anyone have a source for this that is remotely neutral?

I hate media. It could be true but I trust Breitbart as much as Huff.
I would just check out the slides:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3905...EAK#from_embed

In reality this is a presentation about the tough problem of allowing free expression (which is the goal) and keeping the bots, trolls, propaganda, and abuse in check so that the services don't become totally useless.

Doing nothing simply doesn't work. The trolls take over and free speech is effectively silenced because people can't have communicate over all the noise and threats.

It's really a question of what the minimum intervention is that's necessary to ensure the platforms remain useful.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 AM

20,720 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't use Google to gather my political thought. They are also a private company and can do as they please. It's not a restriction of anyone's free speech. Also, if you don't like Google, don't use Google. Your choice.

Well I guess "homosexuals" could have gone to another bakery now couldn't they instead of one they knew didn't want to bake their cake? Having the cake and eating it too it seems.....

Old 10-10-2018, 08:56 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Yes they were denying censorship. Google also has racist hiring/promotion policies. Don’t use google.

I have boycotted Google for 10 years.
They call me 5-6 times a day with an automated voice telling me I must update my google listing or lose it.
This has been going on for over 5 years.
They were destroy yards putting in Google fiber... Not my yard. The were going to dig up my yard and put an ugly plastic box in the very center along the sidewalk. NOPE. Every night the Box was removed and the hole filled in

They got the hint.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:00 AM

37,180 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Breitbart must have a mole in Google. Scary sh*t! Long article with graphics so be sure to scroll down past the ads.

An internal company briefing produced by Google and leaked exclusively to Breitbart News argues that due to a variety of factors, including the election of President Trump, the “American tradition” of free speech on the internet is no longer viable.

Despite leaked video footage showing top executives declaring their intention to ensure that the rise of Trump and the populist movement is just a “blip” in history, Google has repeatedly denied that the political bias of its employees filter into its products.

But the 85-page briefing, titled “The Good Censor,” admits that Google and other tech platforms now “control the majority of online conversations” and have undertaken a “shift towards censorship” in response to unwelcome political events around the world.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/...-and-civility/
When the government stops citizens from speaking their minds, I'll get excited. This is nothing more than dealing with a TOS violation by a private corporation.

You will be glad to note that Free Speech is still very much intact.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:00 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Well I guess "homosexuals" could have gone to another bakery now couldn't they instead of one they knew didn't want to bake their cake? Having the cake and eating it too it seems.....
So a bakery doesn’t have to serve all comers but Google is evil because it won’t? Make up your mind.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:01 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
They've found a loophole in the 1st amendment. Privatize the primary means of communication and information gathering and you can censor it at will. It's all nice and legal like. Where's Teddy Roosevelt when you need him?
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Congress. Not Google, not any private enterprise.

There are rules called Terms of Service. Google has them, Facebook has them, even City-Data has them. You violate those rules, you get put on time out. You violate those rules enough times, you get banned.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:58 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Anyone have a source for this that is remotely neutral?
I hate media. It could be true but I trust Breitbart as much as Huff.

The source for the story is a Google employee! Not good enough for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies