Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:56 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,880 times

Advertisements

“You wanted to be safe from the government so you created a stupid government.” - Rick Sanchez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I don't hear a lot for the Republicans on this issue. I think they realize the pot-legalization-ship has sailed.
How true. Last summer in Oklahoma, shortly after people voted to legalize medical marijuana, SQ788, the leading Republicans changed their minds and announced they would not hold a special legislative session to deal with medical marijuana. They would respect the will of the people. Many people were shocked, since Republicans said before hand there would be one if it passed. However, Republicans lost more than usual incumbents in the primary and decided they didn't need the controversy of marijuana going into the November elections. So Republicans stood back and allowed the state health department to roll out the medical marijuana program as proscribed in SQ788. The result has been no other legal state medical marijuana program has rolled out so quickly before. The writers of SQ788 knew government moves slow, so made short time limits to make the government move fast.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 10-10-2018 at 11:25 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 07:23 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,479 times
Quote:
I don't hear a lot for the Republicans on this issue. I think they realize the pot-legalization-ship has sailed.
Have to disagree.

Granted it's a small sample size, but here are the candidates running for governor in Michigan and their opinions on cannabis :

"The four Republican candidates for governor oppose legal pot. While the three Democrats and two Libertarian candidates support it."

http://www.michiganradio.org/post/le...-next-governor

Old 10-10-2018, 07:28 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
I've actually stopped using it for now, but I support legalization. I hope North Dakota has the votes.

People should have the right to enjoy themselves as they see fit. When 1/4 to 1/3 of the employees in my plant of 1000 use it on a semi-regular or regular basis in a state (South Dakota) that has some of the most harsh marijuana laws in the nation but nobody gets arrested for simple possession, it tells you something about how much the cops actually care. It's kind of like how they do it on Live PD.. if it's a small amount and you're nice to them they just confiscate it and send you on your way. If you're smart you don't drive stoned and keep it locked in the trunk and they never even know.

Like North Dakota, South Dakota has a higher number of libertarian types than say in parts of the South. Not enough to legalize, but plenty enough to bring back what they need from Colorado, and perhaps soon, North Dakota.

Once the newness wore off however, I lost interest somewhat. I don't need chemicals to get through life but to each their own.

However, it's just yet another reason republicans sabotage their popularity.. they think their base cares about the marijuana issue... like the gay marriage issue, I'd imagine most moderate or libertarian leaning ones do not, and see someone opposing it as yet another member of the swamp.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:58 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Why do conservatives suddenly morph into hyper-authoritarian nanny-statists whenever you bring up marijuana?

I don't know many who do. Let me ask you, why do liberals suddenly morph into hyper-authoritarian nanny-statists whenever you bring up cigarettes, or even pop (also known as "soda")? The hypocrisy doesn't occur to them?

Old 10-10-2018, 08:07 PM

1,874 posts, read 817,717 times
weed is about #583 on the important policy list for me.....dont care

Old 10-10-2018, 08:07 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Okay here's a Republican on this issue, I think marijuana should be legalized like we already did in out state (Washington).

Old 10-10-2018, 08:10 PM

1,874 posts, read 817,717 times
i have smoked pot many times. it honestly isn't much different from alcohol for me. given that both are legal and cost about the same, i would still prefer alcohol.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:12 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Default Why do conservatives suddenly morph into hyper-authoritarian nanny-statists whenever you bring up marijuana?

few do. just more bawacky horror fantasies.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:38 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
i have smoked pot many times. it honestly isn't much different from alcohol for me. given that both are legal and cost about the same, i would still prefer alcohol.
I prefer alcohol to weed too but who am I to tell somebody that my drug of choice should be their drug of choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies