Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:50 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
.....not all Anglos or African Americans or American Muslims are the same...
agree. and all women are also not the same, which seems to infuriate the identity-politics-pushing Left. the progressive movement insists on corralling people of one skin color, religion, ethnicity, gender, etc., into a box and doesn't respect or value the importance of americans as individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 07:54 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We have long time friends who are first generation citizens on both sides--
Their parents came from Mexico when they were young--became citizens--and our friends are staunch Democrats--
In fact the husband is now the Democratic precinct chairman in suburb SW of Houston
Like us--they are in their early 70s
Their only child is daughter who is attorney w/the Dallas DA's office--
She is very liberal as well

But within their larger family network--nephews/nieces/cousins, etc--who basically all came from first generation citizen parents--there are some very strong Trump supporters
I see their FB discussions/arguments because I am friends of wife/husband
Their own family of mainly Latinos--most did not marry Anglos--are predominately college educated---some with additional degrees--attorneys, CPAs, doctors--
VERY Americanized in some ways but also comfortable with their Mexican heritage....
They can't agree about issues like the GOP tax policy, the immigration crackdown, Trump himself...

I have a lady who cleans for me--she is Green Card resident from Guatemale--came here long time ago--
Has 5 children all US citizens, all with college degrees, her husband runs a small HVAC business
They still own property in Guatemala and have lot of family there--visit 3-4 times a year
They are not Catholic but a Protestant denomination--maybe Jehovah's Witness--
She can't vote and I haven't asked her about her kids' political views--but I would think they are more likely to be GOP than Democratic because of the abortion issue--even though they are not Catholic...

Not all Hispanics are the same
Just like not all Anglos or African Americans or American Muslims are the same...

True, not all members of a race/ethnic group, etc. will view things the same way but the stats speak for themselves how the majority within any group will vote and why. Latinos voting 60% Democrat is a majority within that group.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:04 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Florida Hispanics more likely to be registered as Democrats or no party than as Republicans.

Hispanic voter registration rises in Florida | Pew Research Center

Yet even though the president seems to be trending negative, his numbers among Hispanic and Latino voters aren’t nearly as bad as they are among some other groups. In a recent Quinnipiac poll, 58 percent of Hispanic voters said they did not consider Trump fit to be president, a figure surpassed by women and Democrats more broadly:

Anger among Hispanic and Latino voters is at an “all-time high” against Trump
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-polls-turnout

Hispanic voters are not as cut and dry as one might imagine. (I live in Florida, know a lot of Hispanics, and have talked to them about this subject).

We would think, since Trump has painted all Hispanics as horrible people , that all of them would hate him. Not true. There seems to be a mindset, among some Hispanics, that "We are different from the people he was talking about." It is almost like an "Us vs them" mentality. Strangely enough, a lot of Hispanics living here DO NOT LIKE A LOT OF OTHER HISPANICS, especially those that are still trying to come in. Hispanics do not necessarily support other Hispanics like we might think.

I had a conversation with one Hispanic man, and he loves what Trump is doing. His logic seemed to be that the new Hispanics who are trying to come in are not the same caliber as those already here. When I said to him "What if you had not been allowed in?", he could only say "Yes, but we have been here for a very long time and have been good citizens."

I think some are also confused a little too. One Cuban man I spoke with said that Donald Trump was opening up going to Cuba and Obama shut it down. When I told him that was completely backwards, he didn't seem to get that.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:14 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Hispanic voters are not as cut and dry as one might imagine. (I live in Florida, know a lot of Hispanics, and have talked to them about this subject).

We would think, since Trump has painted all Hispanics as horrible people , that all of them would hate him. Not true. There seems to be a mindset, among some Hispanics, that "We are different from the people he was talking about." It is almost like an "Us vs them" mentality. Strangely enough, a lot of Hispanics living here DO NOT LIKE A LOT OF OTHER HISPANICS, especially those that are still trying to come in. Hispanics do not necessarily support other Hispanics like we might think.

I had a conversation with one Hispanic man, and he loves what Trump is doing. His logic seemed to be that the new Hispanics who are trying to come in are not the same caliber as those already here. When I said to him "What if you had not been allowed in?", he could only say "Yes, but we have been here for a very long time and have been good citizens."

I think some are also confused a little too. One Cuban man I spoke with said that Donald Trump was opening up going to Cuba and Obama shut it down. When I told him that was completely backwards, he didn't seem to get that.
I think THEY have it right and you have it wrong. They are different. They are citizens of this country.

Democrats spend so much time trying to put everyone of a specific race, gender, or religion, into one singular box, that when someone says something against one person or subgroup, they tie it to all people. THAT is what identity politics is all about.

When a democrat hears that some Mexicans are rapists and murderers, they paint the picture that the person saying it is applying it to ALL Mexicans. They repeat it over and over again until it becomes true in the minds of their followers. That is what leads to the disconnect between the way the left and right thinks about race and gender issues.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:25 AM

What a load of crap that Trump has painted all Hispanics as horrible people!! Do you lefties and ethnocentrics ever get tired of lying??? This is about Mexicans/Hispanics here illegally and he didn't say they were all horrible people! You guys think if you repeat this lie often enough it will stick? I'm beginning to think you don't have an honest bone in your bodies.

When and where did Trump say that Hispanics here legally or are citizens of our country are the above? NEVER! So why would Hispanic-Americans not like him? Is it that cultural tribal mentality with many of them that over rules our immigration laws for their illegal amigos? Just how self-centered and racist is that? Hispanic-Americans who think that way don't consider non-Hispanic Americans as their people only other Hispanics are whether they are here legally or illegally. It's totally disgusting!

Old 10-13-2018, 08:27 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,675 times
Me thinks these rallies are giving the fake news media a clue, whether they ever report it or not.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:33 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Why wouldn't LEGAL immigrants from Latin countries be against ILLEGAL immigrants??

Illegal immigration benefits no one but the illegals.

Imagine immigrating to America through the proper channels and then watch the Democrats of your beloved adopted country stand up for the Rights of the illegal aliens that broke the most basic of our laws.

What a SLAP IN THE FACE.

My wife immigrated here years ago and she feels this way about illegal aliens.

Why should they get special treatment for breaking the law when she didn't for following it ?

The really odd part is how the Dems can't seem to understand this and they act shocked that a Latino legal immigrant would support a President that is trying to enforce existing immigration laws ?? Weird.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:35 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
shouldn't everybody be supporting him?

Old 10-13-2018, 08:40 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think THEY have it right and you have it wrong. They are different. They are citizens of this country.

Democrats spend so much time trying to put everyone of a specific race, gender, or religion, into one singular box, that when someone says something against one person or subgroup, they tie it to all people. THAT is what identity politics is all about.

When a democrat hears that some Mexicans are rapists and murderers, they paint the picture that the person saying it is applying it to ALL Mexicans. They repeat it over and over again until it becomes true in the minds of their followers. That is what leads to the disconnect between the way the left and right thinks about race and gender issues.

Hey, AMD, we didn't say it, it comes straight out of the mouth of your golden boy !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dncsM53gC70

Trump is an equal opportunity offender.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why wouldn't LEGAL immigrants from Latin countries be against ILLEGAL immigrants??

Illegal immigration benefits no one but the illegals.

Imagine immigrating to America through the proper channels and then watch the Democrats of your beloved adopted country stand up for the Rights of the illegal aliens that broke the most basic of our laws.

What a SLAP IN THE FACE.

My wife immigrated here years ago and she feels this way about illegal aliens.

Why should they get special treatment for breaking the law when she didn't for following it ?

The really odd part is how the Dems can't seem to understand this and they act shocked that a Latino legal immigrant would support a President that is trying to enforce existing immigration laws ?? Weird.

The unfortunate truth though is that far too many Hispanic-Americans with roots from south of our border want amnesty for their illegal amigos and that's what the Democrats have been promising them for years now so the majority vote Democrat. It's a tribal mentality that trumps our immigration laws and the rights of American citizens in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies