Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:58 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Why are you so complacent about the unprecedented action of 2,400 law professors filing numerous complaints? That has never happened before. Doesn't that tell you something is not right here?
It matches the unprecedented hearings that took place. These complaints arose as a result of a hearing that NEVER should have happened in the first place. That letter should have been given to the FBI to investigate outside of the public’s eye - including the eyes of those 2,400 law professors.

And sorry - I have NO respect for any lawyer who fails to respect the concept that a person is innocent until proven guilty.

Quote:
And why are you so complacent about how the Republicans fast-tracked seating him in an effort to circumvent the complaints being investigated? You have no concern about that?
Among other things, they needed to stop the crazy stories. What was next? Someone claiming Kavanaugh politely handed a knife to the high priest so he could skin a kitten at a satanic blood ritual? For God’s sake, gang rapes, ice throwing, and whether a teenager thought a word meant farting or sexual activity were already being tossed around as absolutely credible and a reason to disbar him.

Quote:
The GOP is likely to hold the Senate. They have plenty of time to seat someone else that thousands of court watchdogs don't raise concerns about.
No, not really. They would just do the same thing to the next one, they would find some issue. The guy had passed 6 previous FBI investigations, he was noted for being very placid and kind in his all professional dealings to include in the courtroom, and had received professional praise from colleagues, lawyers on both sides of a case, law clerks, and students. How many other people did you want destroyed?

Old 10-13-2018, 08:23 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It matches the unprecedented hearings that took place. These complaints arose as a result of a hearing that NEVER should have happened in the first place. That letter should have been given to the FBI to investigate outside of the public’s eye - including the eyes of those 2,400 law professors.
The complaints from the 2,400 law experts is based on his hearing performance, and has been before the court for a while now. This isn't some new revelation. The GOP certainly knew about it. And there is no reason why they should have filed in secret. We all saw the testimony, so it's not like what they are talking about took place behind closed doors.

Quote:
And sorry - I have NO respect for any lawyer who fails to respect the concept that a person is innocent until proven guilty.
Again, you are confusing the issues. This has zero to do with the sexual assault charges. Nothing whatsoever. It was his performance at the public hearing that raised the alarm.

Quote:
Among other things, they needed to stop the crazy stories. What was next? Someone claiming Kavanaugh politely handed a knife to the high priest so he could skin a kitten at a satanic blood ritual? For God’s sake, gang rapes, ice throwing, and whether a teenager thought a word meant farting or sexual activity were already being tossed around as absolutely credible and a reason to disbar him.
Again, you are confusing the issues. This has zero to do with the sexual assault charges. Nothing whatsoever. It was his performance at the public hearing that raised the alarm.

Quote:
No, not really. They would just do the same thing to the next one, they would find some issue.
Neil Gorsuch seemed to get confirmed without much fanfare or opposition.

Quote:
The guy had passed 6 previous FBI investigations, he was noted for being very placid and kind in his all professional dealings to include in the courtroom, and had received professional praise from colleagues, lawyers on both sides of a case, law clerks, and students. How many other people did you want destroyed?
Too bad he didn't display a professional demeanor in the Senate hearings.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:29 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
They are not complaints about his temperament. They are questioning his ability to do his job in an fair and impartial way.

And again, this is totally unprecedented. Never before has a SC justice's ability to do the job been questioned by so many legal experts.

And no, none of these complaints deal with the sexual assault claims, so stop trying to muddy the waters. You have no idea what these 2,400 legal experts thought about the sexual assault claims. And it's a moot point anyway, because it has nothing to do with these complaints. This is solely about Kavanaugh's fitness for the job.

The complaints are being handled in court. So not political, legal.

But I get it, you are a party before country girl.
He had an excellent reputation for fairness in his rulings during his 12 years on the bench. Elana Kagan hired him to teach at Harvard because he is a brilliant scholar. These 2,400 law school professors didn’t have a complaint about him before he testified at the hearing, so the complaint is about his temperament. And his temperament was because he just found out he was being accused of running a gang rape ring in high school by a completely unbelievable woman while they claim all women must be believed. It’s absolutely political.

I thought you are a black man, but I suppose you are a black woman. How can you like this lack of presumption of innocence and the idea that all women must be believed when it comes to sexual assault claims? If that became the standard, who do you think will take the brunt of that? Have you ever researched the Title IX sexual assault policies and who is most affected by their rules in colleges? Believe me, you don’t want this standard to apply in a court at law, or even for a job interview.

Think of all those black men who have been exonerated of rape convictions based on DNA. Those guys were put away by women’s testimony that were absolutely adamant that they remembered every inch of their rapists’ faces. And they probably did believe what they were saying because false memories are a real thing. But they were as wrong as they could possibly be.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:37 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68
He had an excellent reputation for fairness in his rulings during his 12 years on the bench. Elana Kagan hired him to teach at Harvard because he is a brilliant scholar. These 2,400 law school professors didn’t have a complaint about him before he testified at the hearing, so the complaint is about his temperament. And his temperament was because he just found out he was being accused of running a gang rape ring in high school by a completely unbelievable woman while they claim all women must be believed. It’s absolutely political.
You can continue to refuse to believe it, but many people both within and outside of the law community were shocked by how he behaved in that hearing. He came out guns blazing against the Democrats, the Clintons, talking about payback. It was not the kind of performance that made him seem like a calm, impartial, in control judge, which is what we expect of our justices. If this is how he behaves under pressure, he certainly isn't qualified for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68
I thought you are a black man, but I suppose you are a black woman. How can you like this lack of presumption of innocence and the idea that all women must be believed when it comes to sexual assault claims? If that became the standard, who do you think will take the brunt of that? Have you ever researched the Title IX sexual assault policies and who is most affected by their rules in colleges? Believe me, you don’t want this standard to apply in a court at law, or even for a job interview.
Oh, for the love of God, how many times does this have to be explained to you. This has nothing to do with the sexual assault charges. Nothing whatsoever. This is purely about his fitness for the job.

And I don't know why you got the impression I'm black. I'm a white woman.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
You can continue to refuse to believe it, but many people both within and outside of the law community were shocked by how he behaved in that hearing. He came out guns blazing against the Democrats, the Clintons, talking about payback. It was not the kind of performance that made him seem like a calm, impartial, in control judge, which is what we expect of our justices. If this is how he behaves under pressure, he certainly isn't qualified for the job.

Oh, for the love of God, how many times does this have to be explained to you. This has nothing to do with the sexual assault charges. Nothing whatsoever. This is purely about his fitness for the job.

And I don't know why you got the impression I'm black. I'm a white woman.
Oh, now I understand. I don’t know why I got that impression. It was a post you made a long time ago and I inferred that, but I was wrong. Sorry about that. But I do think his demeanor in the hearing was based on the briefing he just had about Julia Swetnick’s absurd allegation that had just come out the day before the hearing. How would you feel if you were being accused of stuff like that? How would you behave in a hearing that should never have been had based on allegations with zero proof or corroboration? And don’t forget this came after the circus they put on during his confirmation hearings with women coming in every few minutes screaming and senate democrats saying he was evil and people would die if he was confirmed. Would you really be placid and just think, oh well, this is just the process? I don’t think you would.

And I still believe that the presumption of innocence is crucial to our justice system, and black men will take the brunt of the punishment if believe all women becomes the standard as it is in the kangaroo court proceedings at universities under Title IX. And they hold those hearings even at law schools like Harvard. I have little respect for any lawyer who thinks that should be the standard, including those 2,400 complaintants.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:52 AM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
there is nothing to investigate except for who is behind the charade
I just hope the Ford woman doesn't serve any time over this. If we're going to believe someone based only on their sex, what's next, believing someone based on their race? Income?

Old 10-13-2018, 08:52 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,059,788 times
Sure he is. The so-called ethics complaints are just that, so-called, will not be substantiated... Wait. This looks familiar.

Quote:
"While the Republican leadership celebrates the seating of Brett Kavanaugh as a Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, Chief Justice Roberts yesterday requested the Tenth Circuit to review more than twelve ethics complaints that have been made against Kavanaugh. The complaints concern Kavanaugh’s behavior at the Senate Judiciary Committee on September 27."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede.../#6146e2841877

Chief Justice Roberts has always been very concerned about the integrity of his court. The right-leaning majority the right has been celebrating might be a figment of their imagination.

And Kavanaugh is not out of the woods yet.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:56 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,323,939 times
Quote:
"While the Republican leadership celebrates the seating of Brett Kavanaugh as a Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, Chief Justice Roberts yesterday requested the Tenth Circuit to review more than twelve ethics complaints that have been made against Kavanaugh. The complaints concern Kavanaugh’s behavior at the Senate Judiciary Committee on September 27."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede.../#6146e2841877

Chief Justice Roberts has always been very concerned about the integrity of his court. The right-leaning majority the right has been celebrating might be a figment of their imagination.

And Kavanaugh is not out of the woods yet.

Good for Chief Justice Roberts! Like Donald Trump, Kavanaugh is a lair and no integrity!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:22 AM

After my post, I opened the National Review and stumbled upon this timely article. It illustrates exactly what I have been talking about with these university hearings.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...believe-women/

Old 10-13-2018, 09:28 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,434,864 times
Quote:

No, not really. They would just do the same thing to the next one, they would find some issue. The guy had passed 6 previous FBI investigations, he was noted for being very placid and kind in his all professional dealings to include in the courtroom, and had received professional praise from colleagues, lawyers on both sides of a case, law clerks, and students. How many other people did you want destroyed?
Bill Cosby was Americas " dad".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies