Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we trust the people who wrote this "tipping point" and do everything they are recom
Yes 47 37.01%
No 80 62.99%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 02:56 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,221,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It's not a scam. But some won't believe it. Unfortunately, we're all going to pay the price whether we believe it or not.
The good thing about science is that's true regardless if a person believes it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 02:57 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,719,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
The UN says China is a developing country...
I'd say that this is a big mistake for the UN. But, realistically, China is probably going to do whatever it wants to do. I'm not a fan of Trump, but I do think he is justified in getting tough on China in whatever ways we can. For the purposes of pollution control, China and Russia should not be considered "developing." But my central point remains: America should still put a high priority on lowering pollution, which includes lowering our use of fossil fuels.

Quote:
...then why did you bring up a silly diversion?
I didn't. Let's review: I said "carbon" instead of "carbon dioxide" and you implied that I was an ignoramus, so I used the word 'salt' as an example of paying attention to context (at the dinner table "salt" in not ambiguous). You said "Salt is just salt." Well, I've spent enough time in chemistry labs to know that this is not true, so I pointed it out. That's all. I think we can safely end the fun and games here.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:57 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,556,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
How can I trust my mechanic if I have to pay him?
Exactly. That's why I get my medical advice from a local high school student and my climate change advice from virtually anyone but people who have dedicated their lives to studying climate change.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:58 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,082,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The good thing about science is that's true regardless if a person believes it or not.
Ya but the gas station clerk's uncle's cat's brother in law said..

Old 10-22-2018, 03:01 PM

18,305 posts, read 8,111,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Well, you cannot rely on experts because experts are paid for their expertise and therefore are not trustworthy. That is the logic with which you are dealing on this thread.
All you have to do is sit back and watch what the experts actually say and do...

CO2 is a very dangerous greenhouse gas that is going to destroy the planet..make storms, floods, droughts, more snow, less snow, hotter and colder summers, warmer and colder winters, starve us to death, cause violent riots all over the world, etc etc

and if we don't take action right now to lower global CO2 levels...it's going to be too late

but only a handful of countries have to lower their emissions
....and over 200 countries get to increase their emissions until the UN decides they are no longer developing countries

Old 10-22-2018, 03:03 PM

13,281 posts, read 7,822,688 times
Beat the carbon down!

Whitewash your houses!

I'm moving to Mykonos!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mykono...Mykonos_01.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mykono...in_Mykonos.jpg

Old 10-22-2018, 03:04 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,556,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
All you have to do is sit back and watch what the experts actually say and do...

CO2 is a very dangerous greenhouse gas that is going to destroy the planet..make storms, floods, droughts, more snow, less snow, hotter and colder summers, warmer and colder winters, starve us to death, cause violent riots all over the world, etc etc

and if we don't take action right now to lower global CO2 levels...it's going to be too late

but only a handful of countries have to lower their emissions
....and over 200 countries get to increase their emissions until the UN decides they are no longer developing countries
"Everyone else is doing it" is not a reasonable way to promulgate policy, particularly when the repercussions could be potentially catastrophic. This is especially true when you are a global leader (if not hegemon) and economic powerhouse.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I didn't. Let's review: I said "carbon" instead of "carbon dioxide" and you implied that I was an ignoramus, so I used the word 'salt' as an example of paying attention to context (at the dinner table "salt" in not ambiguous). You said "Salt is just salt." Well, I've spent enough time in chemistry labs to know that this is not true, so I pointed it out. That's all. I think we can safely end the fun and games here.
I didn't imply anything........it's carbon dioxide..not carbon

Old 10-22-2018, 03:05 PM

1,675 posts, read 570,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

Even everyday comments you copy from scientists. I am still waiting for an answer. If you are going to be putting out more long comments of the consensus view you should disclose if you work for renewable energy or related field.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
"Everyone else is doing it" is not a reasonable way to promulgate policy, particularly when the repercussions could be potentially catastrophic. This is especially true when you are a global leader (if not hegemon) and economic powerhouse.
went right over your head, didn't it?

If global warming is so dangerous...why is the UN/IPCC..acting like it's not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies