Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 11:44 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
States don't move. People do.
The exit from states like Ca. where liberals have done as much destruction as they can, and can no longer afford to live there, are moving to create the same destruction in other states.
No kidding. I thought states voted.

Of course I'm talking about a moving electorate. The interesting thing is, many of those moving to the south come from blue cities, which will remain blue even with this migration. They are literally carrying the blue with them as they move to these red states. That will invariably turn many of these southern states purple in the coming years.

Georgia is a perfect example that I didn't include in my OP, but it's another state that is trending blue. An Atlanta Journal-Constitution poll earlier this month showed that only 37 percent of voters in the state approve of the job Trump is doing, while 59 percent disapprove. Speculation is that it will vote blue in the next presidential election.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...e-trump-351259

Old 10-14-2018, 11:45 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
What's interesting is that so far, no one has been able to come up with a state that was recently solid blue that is turning red. I guess there aren't any.
West Virginia is the most dramatic, we will know more after 2018 & 2020.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:47 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
States don't move. People do.
The exit from states like Ca. where liberals have done as much destruction as they can, and can no longer afford to live there, are moving to create the same destruction in other states.
Well the Californians destroyed the Colorado Front Range. I witnessed it when I lived there. Also, as others have said the densely populated Northeast has created havoc in the south as people move to escape high taxes, and high cost of living, but bring their Progressive /Liberal views with them which created the high taxes, and high cost of living in the first place.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:50 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Pennsylvania, and several other traditionally Blue states voted for Trump in the last election. However, as metro areas grow, they are controlling entire states with Democrat votes. The game changer is now almost ALL suburbs are Democrat. These are the areas that are growing. Not inner cities. As people populate metro areas (suburbs), they either already vote Democrat, or eventually become Democrat. As the country urbanizes/suburbanizes, I do think it will become more Democrat/Progressive. This will eventually be our downfall, if a correction does not take place.

Why are urbanites Collectivists?
Generally speaking they are exposed to a wide range of ideas and people. Conservatives are more insular and have a fear based mindset.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
West Virginia is the most dramatic, we will know more after 2018 & 2020.
You're right, West Virginia has gone from solid blue to solid red in the last 20 or so years. So that's one. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:02 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
No kidding. I thought states voted.

Of course I'm talking about a moving electorate. The interesting thing is, many of those moving to the south come from blue cities, which will remain blue even with this migration. They are literally carrying the blue with them as they move to these red states. That will invariably turn many of these southern states purple in the coming years.

Georgia is a perfect example that I didn't include in my OP, but it's another state that is trending blue. An Atlanta Journal-Constitution poll earlier this month showed that only 37 percent of voters in the state approve of the job Trump is doing, while 59 percent disapprove. Speculation is that it will vote blue in the next presidential election.............
And yet the governor's race is led by a Republican.
And there are 10 (R) representatives and 4 (D) reps.
Quote:
So far, his popularity has been most resilient in the South. Alabama, Louisiana, West Virginia South Carolina, and Georgia are all among the 10 states where Trump has lost the least popularity.
https://qz.com/1307717/trumps-approv...-in-the-south/

As the article pointed out, Trump has lost the most ground in states that he did not carry in the first place. Besides, the thing that matters most is the ability of Republican voters to get out other Republican voters. People who don't like Trump won't matter; they have no one to vote for yet.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:02 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
I live in Nevada and see a large infestation of Californians here. I don't blame them for the most part, but Nevada doesn't need their liberal politics and all the other baggage that comes with them.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:04 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,756 times
Quote:
I agree about Clinton ignoring the Midwest, but Trump won by only 80,000 votes spread over Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. That's less than 1% in all three of those states. I suppose it could mean they are now purple states, though.
now you are trying to make this about Trump. TDS must suck.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I live in Nevada and see a large infestation of Californians here. I don't blame them for the most part, but Nevada doesn't need their liberal politics and all the other baggage that comes with them.
Yes, Nevada is another state that used to be pretty reliably red but now is considered purple, and will probably turn blue in the next few cycles.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:08 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Not to mention the steady progression of voters from liberal cities/states to the south. I think that is going to hasten the change greatly, too, as the huge baby boomer population retires and moves to warmer climates.
I'm not so sure it's the baby boomer retirees who are going to do it, because many of them are fairly conservative and/or Republicans, even if they came to it later in life after some wisdom, life experience, and common sense kicked in.

What I see a lot more of is younger people with families who move south because they have been priced out of their own homes by the liberal tax and spend politicians that they elected. You see posts all over City-Data and other forums to the tune of, "We just HAVE to get out of Long Island/New Jersey/Southern California, our taxes on a 1200 sq. ft. house on a tiny lot are over $10,000 a year!" But do they learn from that? Nope, they move to other states with less bloated governments and lower taxes and proceed to try to change them into the places that they came from. It makes no sense whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies