Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 09:51 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's why Republicans were so passionately against ObamaCare and why they want to cut government welfare.
I didn't want to drift the thread, so here goes.

In the nature of full disclosure I am politically a liberal Democrat. But I must admit to some sympathy with views attributed to "Republicans" or "conservatives" on this issue. When I go into White Plains or New York City to work, I am getting ready to spend a grueling day performing labor and services for others. And I expect to get paid for those. When I see people in their late teens or early 20's on the nearby corner of White Plains Post Road and Chester Avenue shooting hoops all day, and women who appear to be doing nothing with gaggles of babies, I wonder where my taxes are going. And the frequent sight of police cars called to those scenes doesn't help.

While I am a third-generation Democrat, and my family has supported the typical liberal causes, I will admit to being offended by what my eyes, ears and nose tell me. Something is badly amiss. Now I know there is corporate welfare and corruption. But "two wrongs don't make a right."

There are reasons that populists, including Trump and now a right-winger in Brazil have appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 09:53 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
I fully support defunding deadbeats.

Hunger is a great motivator.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:56 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
I oppose it because there are many that are simply too lazy and abuse the system. Sure there are many that need assistance but so many others that can afford the newest cell phones, cigarettes or tattoos shouldn't be receiving assistance as they feel the need to spend it on the above mentioned items instead.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:57 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
I don't oppose a safety net, nor temporary welfare benefits. Also, there are many charitable organizations that help people. We don't need long term government solutions to the poor, and homeless that create GENERATIONAL DEPENDENCY. However, government loves dependency as it allows CONTROL, more bureaucracy, and bigger government payrolls.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:01 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Liberal here, I oppose it as well. The system is gamed by too many people. It had good intentions, but it needs updating.

- you don’t get more money for having more children
- you must go to classes learning a trade
- you must do some type of volunteer/government work

Even at a young age when I first learned about welfare, my first question was why don’t they have to do some type of work to get this money? Or some type of schooling?

Old 10-14-2018, 10:14 AM

15,842 posts, read 6,308,360 times
I'm a liberal and I oppose the way the system is set up now. I'm for safety nets and taking care of people who are going through a rough patch. I support education and healthcare for all as well as no one should go hungry. The rest of this "help" we give people is too easy to take advantage of and doesn't put many poor in a better position if they work. For example, the scams on the daycare. When my kid was little I worked opposite shifts of mu husband and traded babysitting with friends because daycare was too high. I don't understand why people should be given a check to cover that expense. I'd much rather see a network where single parents could help each other out and keep tax dollars out of it.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:17 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,351 times
Simple

A hand up is ok

A hand out is not.

When our current system tells people that if they work too much they will
Lose benefits we have the wrong system in place.

Call it government assistance again. Not welfare... words matter.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:21 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Fairness is a conservative notion. Seeing people who appear to be partying like you might without having to work or pay for it.

Empathy is liberal. Seeing people who look to be disadvantaged through no fault of their own. And without the means to party or pay like you can.

No doubt others can improve on or even refute these statements.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:23 AM

18,427 posts, read 8,258,982 times
but what would you do with people that are in the system because they have no education, no skills other than getting pregnant and drugs....look like some walking etch a sketch or the alien from the Predator movie...and are so scary no one in their right mind would hire them?

...and there's a lot of them out there, even with college degrees

Old 10-14-2018, 10:29 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Conservatives are not against helping people that need help despite what the Dems tell us but we should all be against waste and abuse of the welfare system.

I have seen it all first hand where drug addicts get a free ride at the taxpayers expense. A neighbor is a nurse and she used to work within the system and it is crazy how a recovering heroine addict can get free care and the state will set her up in an apartment at our expense.

I have known minority families that are perfectly capable of working but they don't because it would upset the hand outs they get from the Gov.

I know a family that fell on hard times with ongoing medical problems with the mom and dad and when they sought help they got it plus so much more. They actually had people at the welfare office to instruct applicants on how they can get into other programs to get free money. It is funny how freely people can spend other peoples money. This family still has problems that they will never recover from but they can work part time but they have to be careful not to go over the set amount or they will lose their benefits.

Basically the system is set up to keep people poor and that is a problem. Where is the incentive for people to strike out on their own and get to work for a better life? There is none. Imagine the Gov. loading a couple of thousand into your bank account each month. How does someone walk away from that?
Meanwhile we have elderly people that worked hard all their lives and they are struggling day to day.

The system is a mess but mention the words Welfare Reform and the bleeding heart SJW's come out in force against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies