Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 01:17 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is a large majority of Americans are quite happy with their current health insurance, liberal lies to the contrary.
I suspect this is why we haven't made much progress towards single payer. My employer covers my health insurance entirely and I'm healthy, so everything is fine for me.

I think it's ridiculous that sometimes we have to pick jobs based on the type of insurance they offer. I've had to turn down jobs because the insurance costs were too high.

My dad is in his early 60s and is self employed. His health insurance premiums are around $800 a month because of his age. I suspect they will increase again next year. He would likely save a lot of money with a single payer system where you pay higher taxes, but no monthly premium.

The minute someone loses their job and/or gets seriously ill, I think they'll change their "everything is fine" opinion very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

All procedures and treatments are between you and your doctor in Canada. Doctors don't need to check to see what is covered, or worry about offering the less best option because a patient may not be covered.

Each province has their own https://www.cpsbc.ca/about-us/mission

The real irony of your post, is that in Canada's UHC system, there is LESS bureaucracy, than in your private system. No co-pays, no networks, no worries. Just show you Healthcare card at any clinic, hospitals and lab. That's it.
People here are so brainwashed. It's ridiculous. They don't like change, don't want to pay more taxes (but not realizing that their insurance premiums are likely higher than the tax increase), and think that having socialized medicine means the USSR is having a rebirth.

I lived in France and experienced single payer healthcare. I'll take that ANY day of the week over the stupid system we have here in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 01:22 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post

Actually, Canadians do have 3rd party insurance plans called MediGap plans.

The only insurance is for prescriptions and dental coverage, and for paying things like private rooms. It's not for care. A second tier/fast track system is illegal in Canada for care. You can for diagnostics such as MRI, but not for actual treatment. Speaking as a Canadian who paid into the system for a generation.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I suspect this is why we haven't made much progress towards single payer. My employer covers my health insurance entirely and I'm healthy, so everything is fine for me.

I think it's ridiculous that sometimes we have to pick jobs based on the type of insurance they offer. I've had to turn down jobs because the insurance costs were too high.

My dad is in his early 60s and is self employed. His health insurance premiums are around $800 a month because of his age. I suspect they will increase again next year. He would likely save a lot of money with a single payer system where you pay higher taxes, but no monthly premium.

The minute someone loses their job and/or gets seriously ill, I think they'll change their "everything is fine" opinion very quickly.

People here are so brainwashed. It's ridiculous. They don't like change, don't want to pay more taxes (but not realizing that their insurance premiums are likely higher than the tax increase), and think that having socialized medicine means the USSR is having a rebirth.

I lived in France and experienced single payer healthcare. I'll take that ANY day of the week over the stupid system we have here in the US.
It's an uphill battle for sure.

Since you mentioned your father, this is another point about UHC that gives people, dare I say FREEDOM to choose to retire early.

I've mentioned this before, but it was something I never thought of. I was chatting with a man around my age in Washington State. He wanted to retire a few years early, but said because of healthcare costs, he couldn't afford to fill the gap between work and medicare. He then asked how it worked in Canada.

I admit, I was slightly embarrassed, since I did retire early, and healthcare costs NEVER came into play. I told him that it was just there. It was always just there.

I did mention that in SOME cases where people may want to keep the enhanced healthcare benefits for dental etc, that they might want to continue working, but I've never met anyone that did.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:29 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

Actually polls showed the sickest Americans happier with their health care than healthier Americans. I would be supporting the Hawaii system that utilizes our current employer provided insurance system if I wanted further government in health care.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:31 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
In Canada prescriptions are generally cheaper because the government buys in bulk and deals with pharma directly. They bargain a reasonable price.

No one in hospital is denied a drug because the government didn't buy enough. That's just absurd.
Of course, I never said the government would not buy enough. But the government has a fixed budget for this and drive a hard bargain, so big pharma better fall in line. They want to sell their stuff anyway.

So naturally it will be much cheaper than a system where big pharma is allowed to price gouge customers.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
It's an uphill battle for sure.

Since you mentioned your father, this is another point about UHC that gives people, dare I say FREEDOM to choose to retire early.

I've mentioned this before, but it was something I never thought of. I was chatting with a man around my age in Washington State. He wanted to retire a few years early, but said because of healthcare costs, he couldn't afford to fill the gap between work and medicare. He then asked how it worked in Canada.

I admit, I was slightly embarrassed, since I did retire early, and healthcare costs NEVER came into play. I told him that it was just there. It was always just there.

I did mention that in SOME cases where people may want to keep the enhanced healthcare benefits for dental etc, that they might want to continue working, but I've never met anyone that did.
Philhealth is my insurance plan from 62 to 66.6

Old 10-15-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
You haven't a clue how it works in Canada.

Canada does not have a hybrid or two tier system.

Hospitals are private or non-profit, clinics and labs are mostly private, doctors run their own offices.

Clinics, doctors and hospitals can not charge a patient for services covered by UHC. It goes against the Canada Health Act.

Private insurance is ONLY available to cover things that UHC doesn't, like prescriptions, cosmetic surgery ( unless needed from a birth defect or accident ) and eye care.
Simply not true.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle1318787/

Old 10-15-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Of course, I never said the government would not buy enough. But the government has a fixed budget for this and drive a hard bargain, so big pharma better fall in line. They want to sell their stuff anyway.

So naturally it will be much cheaper than a system where big pharma is allowed to price gouge customers.
That’s hilarious. Government loves Big Pharm

Old 10-15-2018, 01:38 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
the article you quoted completely supported Natnasci's post. A doctor worked outside the system, and is being charged. It's like you saying murder is against the law, and I post an article about how someone who committed murder did it and got caught, and is now being punished.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
That’s hilarious. Government loves Big Pharm
What does that even mean? Countries with the biggest governments have some of the lowest drug prices. Do you think big pharma loves low prices? Or do you think big pharma bribe American politicians who then proceed to give them gifts in return for more donations. Why do you think "fund raising" is so important in our political system and where do you think the money comes from? Why do you think the editorial pages in mainstream media are so submissive towards big pharma and the insurance industry? Who owns the media and where do they get their revenue from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies