Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 05:51 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times

Advertisements

Just a philosophical question, if every year when doing tax returns, there's an option to "donate" extra taxes to the federal government, would any liberals really volunteer anything extra? Liberals are always into tax and spend policies, want more benefits, including for illegals, etc.

I'm a conservative who supports low taxes but I donate a lot of my own money to causes like church food banks, Christian organizations, etc.

But let's say liberals are even given a choice in their tax returns where they can donate specifically to help illegal aliens, or a fund just for Planned Parenthood or to just fund abortion. Would they donate?

Probably not. Like the old saying goes, liberals are generous with OTHER people's money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 05:59 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Just a philosophical question, if every year when doing tax returns, there's an option to "donate" extra taxes to the federal government, would any liberals really volunteer anything extra? Liberals are always into tax and spend policies, want more benefits, including for illegals, etc.

I'm a conservative who supports low taxes but I donate a lot of my own money to causes like church food banks, Christian organizations, etc.

But let's say liberals are even given a choice in their tax returns where they can donate specifically to help illegal aliens, or a fund just for Planned Parenthood or to just fund abortion. Would they donate?

Probably not. Like the old saying goes, liberals are generous with OTHER people's money!

This is one of the most often misrepresented and outright lie spread by the Right.

Liberals don't want to pay more taxes. But of the taxes already taken from us, we require it to be spend responsibly. That means not paying for Trump's golfing trips, not paying for the stupid wall, not covering the hole left by the tax cuts to rich corporations, etc.

Is that so hard to understand? Did it went over the head of right-wingers that Obama gave a tax cut to the middle class??? Cutting taxes for the middle class instead of big corporations... what a strange idea it must be to a right-winger.

It always baffles me that right-wingers don't get it. If they'd just propose a tax cut... for the middle class, it'd be really popular with many of the liberals. But every Republican tax cut is overwhelmingly for the rich. Always. And that's why your tax cut is not popular with liberals. It's not that we don't like tax cuts, we like tax cuts that make sense.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Why don't conservatives volunteer to fund the wall and prop up corporate welfare since ya'll seem to love it so much.
'

Old 10-16-2018, 06:08 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This is one of the most often misrepresented and outright lie spread by the Right.

Liberals don't want to pay more taxes. But of the taxes already taken from us, we require it to be spend responsibly to good programs. That means not paying for Trump's golfing trips, covering the hole left by the tax cuts to rich corporations, etc.

Is that so hard to understand?

Very hard to understand. I detest giving my hard earned money to deadbeats. I don't understand how liberals can keep funding leeches. Cut them off. Welfare kings and queens need to survive on their own dime. Cut them off. Hunger is a great motivator to survive. Some will turn to crime, they will cease to become relevant very quickly as they end up incarcerated or dead.

Defund the UN and kick them out. No more foreign aid. Stop all wealth transfer.

Enough is enough.

Either cut them off or liberals pay for the deadbeats. Don't look to me.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:08 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,937 times
Quote:

Liberals don't want to pay more taxes. But of the taxes already taken from us, we require it to be spend responsibly to good programs. That means not paying for Trump's golfing trips, covering the hole left by the tax cuts to rich corporations, etc.

Is that so hard to understand? Did it went over the head of right-wingers that Obama gave a tax cut to the middle class??? Cutting taxes for the middle class instead of big corporations... what a strange idea it must be to a right-winger.

Oh please. Do you think we're naive?

Liberals DO want higher taxes because they want more social spending and redistribution. They want everyone to have the same amount of stuff (except for the politicians, who have more). Level headed restraint is not what keeps redistribution in check. Conservative opposition does that. Given their druthers liberals would nationalize and redistribute everything until it all ran out.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:14 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Why don't Republicans pay more taxes to cover the X Y or Z that they want?

Because thats not a functional way to run a country. Wish it was, but it isn't. This idea surfaces over and over, and as you can see from the responses its just a dumb idea. Its a "you should pay for everything, and I should pay for nothing" sort of argument.

I have thought people should be able to say how they want their money spent, and a comparison created showing how well congress matched what the people wanted.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:16 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I detest giving my hard earned money to deadbeats.
Haven't you bragged about being a trust fund baby in the past?

Old 10-16-2018, 06:18 PM

21,925 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:

Is that so hard to understand? Did it went over the head of right-wingers that Obama gave a tax cut to the middle class???

What taxes did Obama cut for the middle class?

Old 10-16-2018, 06:19 PM

341 posts, read 302,511 times
Quote:

Liberals don't want to pay more taxes. But of the taxes already taken from us, we require it to be spend responsibly. That means not paying for Trump's golfing trips, covering the hole left by the tax cuts to rich corporations, etc.

How is this misrepresented. Liberals want bigger government to fund more social programs, which require higher taxes, but they don't want to pay the taxes. The top 20% of taxpayers already pay over 85% of the federal income tax. The bottom 50% pay just under 3% of the federal income tax.

Besides, there is noting government does well or efficiently, and you want a bigger government? So they can **** away more of our money.

Before Massachusetts got our current Governor, we had a tax and spend liberal democrat. He would scoff and make fun of people claiming welfare fraud in the state and say all those stories were anecdotes. Refused to do anything about it. When the new Governor came in, audits found $17 Million of fraud a year. Just one example of many of ineptness. By the way, his name is Deval Patrick and he's got aspirations of running for the big office in 2020.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Haven't you bragged about your trust fund in the past?
What does voluntary charity have to do with involuntary charity (theft)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies