Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 09:57 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,819,746 times

Advertisements

Speaking of "mindless hives", a term used a few posts above by one of the busy little bees posting busily away about NPCs everywhere, I was curious as to just when this term started to appear here on C-D, so I just did a simple search. I eliminated earlier references to those initials which clearly carried other, non-political, non-pejorative meanings ("National Puppy Club", etc.), and just looked at appearances in the Politics forum.

Know what I discovered? "NPC" started to appear in the "Politics" forum in mid-to late October of this year, and really ramped up over the following couple of weeks. In other words, right before the midterm election. It did not appear at all prior to that time, approximately between October 15 and October 20, 2018. I recall asking someone what it stood for about that time, in fact, as I'd never encountered it before and had just had the term applied to me (but then, I don't hang out on Reddit or Gab or similar fora). There were no instances of the use of the term "NPC" that carried its current quasi-political meaning prior to mid-October of this year.

In contrast, some here have claimed that the terms "right wing" and "far right" are equivalent and equally newly hatched when used by Democrats and others - this is not so, they are historical terms going back many, many years, as are the terms "left wing" and "far left", and originally referred to a seating arrangement. In contrast, "NPC" is very newly hatched.

After its first appearance here in mid-October, "NPC" was then gleefully used by many of C-D's more right-wing posters, to try to cast aspersions upon others, either Democratic or other posters here or national figures, usually Democratic politicians or others who've been outspoken about their dislike for and/or opposition to Donald Trump, his policies and his "base", and it was used over and over again in this manner by this handful of posters, several of whom also appear in this thread, quite consistently.

Some of these posters even used it to attempt to cast doubts not only upon the political persuasions of others but also upon the very humanity of other posters here - I was one of those challenged posters (this attack was deleted, as well it should have).

NPC appears to be used solely to create enmity, distance, and to name-call and rather childishly annoy and discount others, rather than to defend the users' points of view with any logic, reason or validity. If it were not such an transparently adolescent tactic, it would serve to divide even more, but fortunately, its use just serves to indicate the desperation, weakness, paranoia and lack of substance of the arguments of those engaging in this mindless name-calling.

It was clearly not original with these posters, and had come from elsewhere, only to be eagerly seized upon and put to use, not very convincingly or intelligently or productively for the users' POVs. Its use smacks of desperation, closed minds, and isolation on the part of those using it, and a very clear removal from actual reality.

And those who used it - and still do - just lapped it right up, showing no evidence of critical thinking at all but instead, great willingness and eagerness to put this ridiculous pejorative to use, to name-call, and to do their best to increase division and distance.

Busy little drones, buzzing in that poisoned hive...

Sad.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 11-11-2018 at 10:27 AM..

Old 11-11-2018, 10:25 AM

7,302 posts, read 3,371,509 times
George Orwell labeled NPC behavior "duckspeak" in his seminal book 1984:

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Newspeak_words

duckspeak – Voicing political orthodoxies without thinking, lit. "to quack like a duck"

Old 11-11-2018, 11:08 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,685,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Fun to watch the right and moderates actually stick up for themselves while poking fun at the left's groupthink at the same time. As a moderate I've come to see what the left represents as dangerous but I look forward to hearing what other people think. I say bring on the memes and if companies start to ban, stop using their services. I apologize in advance for linking to infowars but they have a few good examples listed in the article.

How the 'NPC' Meme Tries to Dehumanise 'SJWs' | Kotaku UK

https://www.infowars.com/new-npc-mem...-fear-in-libs/

“It’s one thing to claim that a person’s strongly-held views are informed by nothing at all, but entirely another to imply that they’re completely on auto-pilot,” wrote Cecilia D’Anastasio. “That is dehumanization, a way of reconceiving your enemies as objects, pawns, strawmen, tools.”

The existence of the ideal moderate is disputed because of a lack of a moderate political ideology. Voters who describe themselves as centrist often mean that they are moderate in their political views, advocating neither extreme left-wing politics nor right-wing politics.

So you are claiming to be a moderate while aligning yourself with the right wing?

Old 11-12-2018, 07:02 AM

18,866 posts, read 14,048,524 times
Ask the wrong questions, get the wrong answers.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:19 AM

88,630 posts, read 44,352,506 times
I'm just laughing, as the era of "free love" is over. If ancestry/genealogy DNA tests can snare the Golden State Killer via relatives' submissions to the DNA database, they can also snare dead beat dads and yoke them under an 18+ year sentence of financial responsibility (court-ordered financial support payments) for their offspring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies