Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:58 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I am Native American and do not support Affirmative Action. I have multiple master's degrees but would not want to attend an Ivy League school. The stigma and resentment are far too intense. The minute I step on campus the reaction would likely be "There's that minority applicant who took a spot away from far more deserving whites or Asians". Personally, I prefer to learn in a mellow, low-key environment with little social conflict and just a pure focus on the research: biotechnology, engineering, clinical translational science, ECE, public health, etc. A campus in turmoil due to AA would just make the stress much higher than it has to be. I went to graduate school in Florida where AA was outlawed by Jeb Bush way back in 2000. I never once heard a minority complain it was gone.

The roots of AA go back to President Nixon's white supremacy. He sincerely believed that minorities were genuinely far less intelligent than whites and needed a "quota" system with AA and reduced standards to get a "boost" in the economy. He was a bigot of his time who established Affirmative Action for generations to come. Jeb Bush rightfully saw the flaws and ended it in FL.
Affirmative action: It’s time for liberals to admit it isn’t working.

Ironically, decades later, many minorities and Democrats (or liberal whites) defend AA when its roots go back to Nixon's virulent racism. Go figure.

I know how it feels to get the highest score on an exam on a campus where affirmative action was outlawed. I love being on campus without the stigma. I feel sorry for those minorities in the Ivy League who have to live with it everyday. They could study 50-70 hours a week and pass the "boards" on the 1st attempt in medicine or the bar exam in law - but to many whites the stigma of AA will remain even after all that. In summary, Affirmative Action sucks (LOL). Are those whites and Asians holding an anti-affirmative action bake sale over there? If they hate it that much why not just end it like Jeb Bush did and get rid of the controversy? It helped minorities immensely in FL.

One of the best examles of a successful minority who chose not to go to Harvard was an elite African American HS student who chose to stay close to home at Alabama. He could have gone but decided it was to his advantage to go to a less expensive public university instead. I would recommend most minorities with a letter of admission from the Ivy League just reject it and go to a state university if they want to avoid the stigma.
https://www.businessinsider.com/rona...alabama-2015-5

It is true that many middle class or working class Americans (white or not) do not care about Ivy schools at all, even if they are excellent students. They prefer attending state schools to save money, especially because they have a good chance to win scholarships in some tier 2 schools.

In Asian countries it is totally different. The top universities in China, Japan and South Korea pretty much only look at test scores (the three countries all have national college entrance exams), so lower class families send their children to top schools more often than Americans do. In addition, their best universities are all public universities, so the tuition is low.

Asian immigrants often bring such a mentality to America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 08:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It is true that many middle class or working class Americans (white or not) do not care about Ivy schools at all, even if they are excellent students. They prefer attending state schools to save money, especially because they have a good chance to win scholarships in some tier 2 schools.

In Asian countries it is totally different. The top universities in China, Japan and South Korea pretty much only look at test scores (the three countries all have national college entrance exams), so lower class families send their children to top schools more often than Americans do. In addition, their best universities are all public universities, so the tuition is low.

Asian immigrants often bring such a mentality to America.
Yeah that's a big part of why I don't like immigration. Everyone brings their foreign mentality here and worse demand their mentality is followed.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah that's a big part of why I don't like immigration. Everyone brings their foreign mentality here and worse demand their mentality is followed.
Well, some changes can be good too.
America is the most successful country so far, but that does not mean every aspect of it is the most successful.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:53 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
I've been pretty critical of the American educational system on these here boards.

One thing though they do that pretty exceptional is that the general public has access to educational resources (relative to a heck of a lot of societies); whereas other groups might not bother at all or give a damn.

Something to keep in mind when hearing globalist propaganda about test scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies