Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 08:24 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

True. I went to a Beto O'Rourke rally in Houston a couple of weeks ago. Beto is an enthusiastic 40 year old guy who energizes younger voters in the way older candidates don't. Not only were an amazing number of 20 somethings at the rally, some of the volunteers weren't even old enough to vote yet. They just wanted to help. It was very inspiring.
Robert ("Cross-Dressing, Drunk-Driving Felons of the World, Unite!") O'Rourke also energizes his opponent's supporters as well.

Little Robbie will come to understand that reality quite well in a few weeks, but by then, he'll already have what he really came for...the political donations which he can eventually convert to his own use in due course.

Gee...that sort of transparent misbehavior is exactly what every other politician does, irrespective of age.

I guess being a young political malingerer, like lLittle Robbie O'Rourke, isn't really any real improvement on the older variety, a reality which essentially consigns this "young, fresh Millennial vs. old, stale Gerontocrat" discussion into the intellectual sh*theap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 08:33 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,933 times
We did vote. For Trump. But you keep on putting faith in some "poll" that says otherwise.

What we did was troll the hell out of you in 2016. And we're doing it again in 2018. Keep believing that open polls are infallible that people don't lie.
Muh projection hillary wins in a land slide. Millennials support hillary/democrats in huge numbers...
One Facebook group I was in, myself and about 50-60k other millennials found polls and swayed them to look like hillary and other democrat candidates had tons of support. LOL gotchas!

Old 10-17-2018, 08:34 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
You might want to read better material than NYmag, it will help you develop broader perspectives instead of that hyperbole.

Just as a starting point to consider, the biggest problem Obamacare has had in staying viable is getting enough young people to sign up. Basically, millenials are a driving force behind torpedoing it's course.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:44 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We spend more MONEY on Education than any other country, yet we fail again, and again. The money goes to teacher's unions, and wasteful administration. The NEA, AFT, and other public sector unions have ruined Education in America. More money won't fix it.
Fake news... Higher ed is less subsidized here than many other developed countries.

We also spend more than the next 7 countries combined on the military. Have we gotten our bang for the buck there?

The f22 was a trillion dollar boondoggle

Old 10-17-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You might want to read better material than NYmag, it will help you develop broader perspectives instead of that hyperbole.

Just as a starting point to consider, the biggest problem Obamacare has had in staying viable is getting enough young people to sign up. Basically, millenials are a driving force behind torpedoing it's course.
Well duh, it raised the premiums by 200% required a 2-5k per year deductible to be paid out of pocket every calender year, or have your income taxes kept from you or pay the "fine".
Individual mandate- It's dead Jim

Meanwhile. Rent for those that couldn't buy a house is a small fortune. So too is college tuition.

I don't have the problems 90% of my generation has financially. I never bought into the good feelz BS and used car salesman scheme of absolutely needing college right after high school, because like that piece of chit that's been polished up and shines on the front of the lot, you know, the one the "old guy owned and took great care of" that "deal" wasn't going to be around for long don't wait or hesitate jump into debt now! And don't bother working either, that's beneath you. You need a smart phone and social life that's more important.

Unfortunately, my generation didn't do what I did... they doubled down on the progressive dumb and like the lemmings they are, went over the cliff. I don't pity them. They supported their throats being cut with the promise of free/affordable. That's on them.
So their deductibles and premiums out of pocket expenses for "out of network" they asked for this they got it. Enjoy it.
Support dems that love raising property taxes to justify more state pension workers and welfare? Enjoy a 225k house with 5-12k per year in property tax, that's maybe realistically worth 150k tops... or the 1200+ per month in rent due to the land lords taxes going through the roof. Because, you know. Tax the rich will solve all of our woes. Just like that boomer/corporatist crap our highschool teachers pumped through their heads, absolutely needing a college degree. Don't question why. Don't get involved in any trades, that's beneath you, that's why we need illegals. You are too good to actually work.

Nope. I don't pity any dink of my generation that bought into Obama and progressive ideology, reinforcing feeling rather than thinking.

I can't wait for the day obamacare is dead.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:47 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Obamacare was a Republican idea pushed by Romney, newt and the Heritage Foundation. The individual mandateis a Republican principle of making freeloaders pay for the care they get in the er.

Millennials didn't vote for repeal and replace.... which basically was choke and move on despite the GOP having 7 years to come up with something better

Old 10-17-2018, 08:48 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I prefer the voting age be raised to where these young people are out on their own, paying their own bills and not still being cared for by mommy and daddy where they have no responsibility or experience on what the real world is like. Even tho I worked my way through college with no help from my parents - I was still inexperienced and easily manipulated by what the majority of my age group thought and backed.

Obama was voted in for the wrong reason as Hillary would have been if she won. It doesn't matter race, gender or religion - it should be who can do the best job at attaining what's in the best interests of everyone that call themselves Americans.
Only if you raise the age for military service and raise all the ages for length of time you can stay on a parents' insurance, etc.

Raise it all up, or leave the vote where it is.

I think that you'll see more of them voting after that last election. Just a theory.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:50 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Leftists can only run on labels. Age, Race, Sex, Religion, etc. Someone is always a demon and someone else is a victim.

Now they say the elderly are demons.

They never address real issues.

This is why they can't win elections.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Fake news... Higher ed is less subsidized here than many other developed countries.

We also spend more than the next 7 countries combined on the military. Have we gotten our bang for the buck there?

The f22 was a trillion dollar boondoggle
Here's an idea...

Make an entire generation sit out going to college for 4 years. 17/18.
Lower the taxes and roll back regulations on employers that can prove 100% American Citizenship employment, that will provide earn and learn rather than boomer corporatist you need this degree and x years expirience. That way, when they're 16 and have working papers they can walk in, take a job, stay within the company if they like it and be able to retire at 60 after putting their kids through college. You know, like how things were done in the 40s 50s and 60s...

Win win. If they don't care for the career path they chose, with the money they earned they can pay their own way through college without having to get a loan they can not default on... also lower the cost of college tuition too due to demand being literally killed. But that wouldn't happen. Colleges would be crying for bailouts.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You want people to vote who can fill out an absentee ballot, but have no clue how to send it in because they don't know where to get stamps?

https://www.businessinsider.com/youn...ballots-2018-9

https://www.insidehighered.com/quick...-postage-stamp
Why not? We have people voting who have no clue how to access government websites to gain information about candidates and who cannot tell actual email from spam sent by a "Prince from Nigeria" so why not people who rarely send snail mail and don't know where you normally buy a stamp? I bet they know how to get tech support (or provide it) and how to pay bills online... something the "back in my day" crowd tends to struggle with, yet is definitely essential on a daily basis.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies