Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 07:58 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,535,899 times

Advertisements

This is my reply to a poster who DM'd me asking how I could reconcile being a Democrat while still being against illegals. This is part of my response:

The toll it takes on our citizens is appalling:

U.S. GAO - Unaccompanied Alien Children: Actions Needed to Ensure Children Receive Required Care in DHS Custody

U.S. GAO - Identity Fraud: Prevalence and Links to Alien Illegal Activities

U.S. GAO - Information on Certain Illegal Aliens Arrested in the United States

U.S. GAO - Illegal Aliens: Estimating Their Impact on the United States

In addition, in April 2005, the GAO released a report on a study of 55,322 illegal aliens incarcerated in federal, state, and local facilities during 2003. It found the following: Of the 55,322 illegal aliens studied, researchers found that they were arrested a total of 459,614 times, averaging about 8 arrests per illegal alien.
  • They were arrested for a total of about 700,000 criminal offenses, averaging about 13 offenses per illegal alien.
  • 49% had previously been convicted of a felony, 20% of a drug offense; 18% a violent offense, and 11%, other felony offenses.
  • 81% of the arrests occurred after 1990
  • 56% of those charged with a reentry offense had previously been convicted on at least 5 prior occasions.
  • Defendants charged with unlawful reentry had the most extensive criminal histories. 90% had been previously arrested. Of those with a prior arrest, 50% had been arrested for violent or drug-related felonies.

I'm puzzled by folks who take a stand in favor of people breaking our laws, but never seem to show the same passion and compassion when it comes to problems their fellow Americans have. There are people living on the streets, people who are unemployable, we have an opioid crisis, etc. There are liberals who post consistently on how heartless it is to turn away those trying to escape a bad situation, but I've not once seen them take a stand about the bad situations our own citizens are in.

We cannot save the world. We've offered amnesty six or seven times and the problem of illegals entering our country continues. In my mind, it's unethical and immoral to try and help everyone else when we're doing such a poor job of addressing the problems our own citizens are faced with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 08:05 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,363,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This is my reply to a poster who DM'd me asking how I could reconcile being a Democrat while still being against illegals. This is part of my response:

The toll it takes on our citizens is appalling:

U.S. GAO - Unaccompanied Alien Children: Actions Needed to Ensure Children Receive Required Care in DHS Custody

U.S. GAO - Identity Fraud: Prevalence and Links to Alien Illegal Activities

U.S. GAO - Information on Certain Illegal Aliens Arrested in the United States

U.S. GAO - Illegal Aliens: Estimating Their Impact on the United States

In addition, in April 2005, the GAO released a report on a study of 55,322 illegal aliens incarcerated in federal, state, and local facilities during 2003. It found the following: Of the 55,322 illegal aliens studied, researchers found that they were arrested a total of 459,614 times, averaging about 8 arrests per illegal alien.
  • They were arrested for a total of about 700,000 criminal offenses, averaging about 13 offenses per illegal alien.
  • 49% had previously been convicted of a felony, 20% of a drug offense; 18% a violent offense, and 11%, other felony offenses.
  • 81% of the arrests occurred after 1990
  • 56% of those charged with a reentry offense had previously been convicted on at least 5 prior occasions.
  • Defendants charged with unlawful reentry had the most extensive criminal histories. 90% had been previously arrested. Of those with a prior arrest, 50% had been arrested for violent or drug-related felonies.

I'm puzzled by folks who take a stand in favor of people breaking our laws, but never seem to show the same passion and compassion when it comes to problems their fellow Americans have. There are people living on the streets, people who are unemployable, we have an opioid crisis, etc. There are liberals who post consistently on how heartless it is to turn away those trying to escape a bad situation, but I've not once seen them take a stand about the bad situations our own citizens are in.

We cannot save the world. We've offered amnesty six or seven times and the problem of illegals entering our country continues. In my mind, it's unethical and immoral to try and help everyone else when we're doing such a poor job of addressing the problems our own citizens are faced with.
The elites need someone to clean their toilets and raise their children.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,449,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
You aren't being honest at all about this caravan or the last one. Just this week ABC news reported the men outnumbered the women in this current caravan. And numbers are between 7,000-14,000 with a second group following of approx. 2,000.

The caravan back in April didn't go away, over 400 made it to the border to seek asylum and 370+ passed the fear test.

What's your point anyway? Many of us Americans want illegals to come in the right way., legally. We also want our homeless taken care of.
Coming to a port of entry and asking for asylum is perfectly legal. You know this, yes?

No one said they are going to meet the criteria.

Many of the caravan are on buses back home; they decided it wasn't worth it. Some stayed in Mexico. I seriously doubt that 7000 people will make it here in two months and IF they do, surely the most powerful country in the world can manage a group of unarmed migrants. .

The fear mongering by Trump is for one reason only - to get you to the polls and vote for more giveaways to the 1%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
You don’t understand — it’s the MESSAGE that is being sent to millions in the third world — come with large organized numbers and force yourself into America — you can’t be stopped!
That is the message TRUMP is sending with his hand wringing and fear mongering. The rest of us know that they aren't getting in.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Coming to a port of entry and asking for asylum is perfectly legal. You know this, yes?

Many of the caravan are on buses back home; they decided it wasn't worth it. Some stayed in Mexico. I seriously doubt that 7000 people will make it here in two months and IF they do, surely the most powerful country in the world can manage a group of unarmed migrants. .

The fear mongering by Trump is for one reason only - to get you to the polls and vote for more giveaways to the 1%.

That is the message TRUMP is sending with his hand wringing and fear mongering. The rest of us know that they aren't getting in.
I guess you have your spare room ready for a family of 9? Thank you for taking care of these people, so the rest of us won't have to dish out more taxes for them! You liberals really are, truly great people after all!

Old 10-27-2018, 08:47 AM

62,712 posts, read 28,915,839 times
Quote:

Oh stop with this fear mongering crap! Trump is merely pointing out that he won't allow that many people to crash our borders all at once and the odds are that there would be some unsavory characters among them. What was he supposed to do remain silent on all of this? Sorry if the facts offend you and your fellow pro-illegals. It's a newsworthy story and every American no matter which side of the aisle they are on most Americans would want to know what's going on. So, Trump can't state why he isn't letting them in based on the above or it's fear mongering? WTH!

So without this incident Republicans wouldn't be turning out at the polls or they'd be voting Democrat instead? What 1% are getting giveaways and what does that have to do with this caravan incident? We aren't voting for giveaways we are voting for candidates that want a secure border and our immigration laws enforced.

How are we supposed to process all these so-called asylum seekers without it being a huge expense to the taxpayer? You have no idea how many will actually make it up here. Just because they may not all make it is irrelevant. We have to be prepared for it. They should have stayed in Mexico and taken the asylum that they were offered there. With so many of their citizens here illegally I'm sure they can afford to keep these Central Americans in their country. They're even offering them jobs which is ironic because all these Mexicans coming here are claiming there are no jobs for them in their own country. Huh?

Old 10-27-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh stop with this fear mongering crap! Trump is merely pointing out that he won't allow that many people to crash our borders all at once and the odds are that there would be some unsavory characters among them. What was he supposed to do remain silent on all of this? Sorry if the facts offend you and your fellow pro-illegals. It's a newsworthy story and every American no matter which side of the aisle they are on most Americans would want to know what's going on. So, Trump can't state why he isn't letting them in based on the above or it's fear mongering? WTH!

So without this incident Republicans wouldn't be turning out at the polls or they'd be voting Democrat instead? What 1% are getting giveaways and what does that have to do with this caravan incident? We aren't voting for giveaways we are voting for candidates that want a secure border and our immigration laws enforced.

How are we supposed to process all these so-called asylum seekers without it being a huge expense to the taxpayer? You have no idea how many will actually make it up here. Just because they may not all make it is irrelevant. We have to be prepared for it. They should have stayed in Mexico and taken the asylum that they were offered there. With so many of their citizens here illegally I'm sure they can afford to keep these Central Americans in their country. They're even offering them jobs which is ironic because all these Mexicans coming here are claiming there are no jobs for them in their own country. Huh?
Go easy on them. I have learned that Democrats are actually too stupid to understand that allowing these hordes in and giving them their freebies will only incentivize others. They can't help themselves-we see it in their thinking about all facets of life.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:12 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,713,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
People, don't worry about this caravan. All the liberals here plan to take them in, feed them, buy their Nike shoes, house them and send their children to school. It's all covered!
No, you’ve got that wrong. Yes, they do want them here but they want us to pay for them.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I guess you have your spare room ready for a family of 9? Thank you for taking care of these people, so the rest of us won't have to dish out more taxes for them! You liberals really are, truly great people after all!
Why would I need to room a family of 9? What makes you think a family of 9 will be allowed in?

Old 10-27-2018, 09:15 AM
exm

3,713 posts, read 1,763,725 times
Quote:

Right. So they're abusing the system by claiming asylum and then disappearing into America hoping for a magic, blanket 'amnesty for all' that eventually will happen.

The asylum loophole needs to be closed, and it's simple how to do so. Asylum can only be requested at a US Consulate aboard. End of story.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Right. So they're abusing the system by claiming asylum and then disappearing into America hoping for a magic, blanket 'amnesty for all' that eventually will happen.

The asylum loophole needs to be closed, and it's simple how to do so. Asylum can only be requested at a US Consulate aboard. End of story.
That is an absolute false statement. Please stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies