Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 12:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Of course it does. I did not say it was not knowable. I pointed out that one of the leading anti-immigrant experts said that.

This is actually simple but apparently beyond the understanding of the right. The total number of crimes goes down. But the rate goes up. So the probability of being a crime victim goes up for those remaining after the illegals are gone.
I'm not on the right but I put more stock in data rather than what one guy said. I've provided the links twice and people want to ignore them because they just don't fit the narrative.

I have an idea that's in line with your thinking. Let's bring in millions of Palestinians and this will reduce the rate of anti-Semitism against Jews since Palestinians are Semites and they'll probably be targeted.

It's interesting to me that some of the posters here seem more interested in what happens in Israel than they care about what happens here. My solution would surely help Israel, too, so win-win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 01:15 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A caravan at this time supports the Republicans stance and the fears they sell. A caravan would make more people anti immigration....

Why in the world would you think any Dems or Liberals would do that? It's not logical.

So, the Democrats are so brain dead that a caravan of thousands of Central Americans coming here to crash our border is of no concern to them? Since when is that an irrational fear? This has nothing to do with legal immigration nor anyone becoming more anti-"immigration". These people aren't legal immigrants who applied for residency here in the U.S. from their homelands and are following that legal process.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:18 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
What IS funding and organizing the invader caravan? (such that it is...really a ragged bunch of people walking a thousand miles together for safety)

Hunger & fear and hope for a better life for themselves and their family.
That is a load of absolute horse crap. They were paid to do this. They have been photographed with people leading them, the person who was in charge of the "caravan" on the streets was arrested, they bypassed jobs and homes in Mexico.

Enough of the "they are poor and downtrodden" nonsense. They have gone through 2 countries where they could have a new life. Mexico offered them fricken jobs and houses! WTH more do you want? But no, they refused. Because they are just so poor, ragged, and tired, that they turned down a flippin' job and home.

My God people are so gullible.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:20 PM

477 posts, read 276,528 times
Quote:
A caravan at this time supports the Republicans stance and the fears they sell. A caravan would make more people anti immigration....
That is strikingly similar to the coincidental timing of the sexual assault allegations against Judge Kavanaugh...

Both parties are quite adept at playing the game.

Quote:
Why in the world would you think any Dems or Liberals would do that? It's not logical.
I agree, it's not logical on the surface, but if the illegal caravan arrives, and some anti-illegal minutemen open fire on them, or if the Border Patrol and National Guard are put in a situation where some of the illegal caravan members are hurt or killed because they're trying to resist arrest or escape detention, the news coverage would surely paint Trump and the administration's decisions in a terrible light.

At face value, your question regarding logic could be applied to the debate about gun control between liberals and conservatives... who profits? Who has something to gain from mass shootings? Certainly not the law abiding gun owners who didn't hurt anyone. The people who want to ban guns however, get another statistic and political points for their cause.

Again, I stress that both sides can play a good game. Political maneuvering is nothing new, it's just that much more immediate with today's media coverage.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I may have missed this because I haven't read the whole thread, but it was interesting to me to hear the role that the US military will play when they deploy to the border. Apparently they will be taking over logistical tasks that the US Border Patrol usually does, thus freeing up US Border Patrol agents to actually patrol the border and be more active in whatever it is they do.

Apparently we aren't going to get photos of US soldiers shooting at women and children. That may disappoint some people but personally I like the clarification of what they will be doing.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:22 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
What IS funding and organizing the invader caravan? (such that it is...really a ragged bunch of people walking a thousand miles together for safety)

Hunger & fear and hope for a better life for themselves and their family.

Then why don't they stay in mexico?

Old 10-28-2018, 01:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That is a load of absolute horse crap. They were paid to do this. They have been photographed with people leading them, the person who was in charge of the "caravan" on the streets was arrested, they bypassed jobs and homes in Mexico.

Enough of the "they are poor and downtrodden" nonsense. They have gone through 2 countries where they could have a new life. Mexico offered them fricken jobs and houses! WTH more do you want? But no, they refused. Because they are just so poor, ragged, and tired, that they turned down a flippin' job and home.

My God people are so gullible.
You are not kidding. If they wanted asylum and safety, why didn't they take Mexico up on it's offers?

Old 10-28-2018, 01:33 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:

The Democrats may have miscalculated this move. They are not so smart. I think the same with the judge’s confirmation. In short, it has backfired.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:41 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You are not kidding. If they wanted asylum and safety, why didn't they take Mexico up on it's offers?
A lot of them DID, about 1700 so far.

But honestly, would you rather live in the US or Mexico? Mexico is a step above where they are coming from, and it's a pretty small step.

Just like before, many are coming looking for asylum (last time we gave a few hundred asylum), it is legal and there is nothing wrong with it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-28-2018, 01:41 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
The Democrats may have miscalculated this move. They are not so smart. I think the same with the judge’s confirmation. In short, it has backfired.
The Democrats have nothing to do with it, it would make more sense if Republicans did, and I don't think they organized it either.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies