Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 11:09 AM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Still don't get it, do you?

And hey, bud, I'm a very law-abiding American and a direct descendent of a Revolutionary War veteran who spend the winter with George Washington at Valley Forge. He was seventeen years old that winter, and was a captain.

I also descend directly from (oh, shock, horror!) refugees. French folks, Huguenots who came here earlier, back in 1700 for religious freedom - actually, not just religious "freedom" but to save their necks from persecution unto death. The good English people established in the Virginia Colony saved their lives when they arrived, penniless and starving, without shelter, that cold December. Just like Jesus Christ advocated, they welcomed the strangers, fed the starving, clothed the naked. I had ancestors meeting the newcomers' boat, as well as ancestors sailing upon it. I honor them all.

So don't you dare call me anti-American. I honor my ancestors and all they stood for. That's why I speak out when I encounter those who would destroy all this country stands for and who know and care nothing about its roots, its founders, its standards, its traditions, and how it's supposed to work.

BTW, I vote. Every. single. election, I vote. How about you?

Sounds like your ancestors came here within our laws legally so why are you comparing them to the illegal aliens and bogus asylum seekers of today? If you support any these two groups then yes, IMO you are anti-American. We were a totally different country back in the 1700's so your comparisons to today again are just silly and moot.

Yes, I also vote in every election but what has that to do with the topic at hand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 11:22 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Sounds like your ancestors came here within our laws legally so why are you comparing them to the illegal aliens and bogus asylum seekers of today? If you support any these two groups then yes, IMO you are anti-American. We were a totally different country back in the 1700's so your comparisons to today again are just silly and moot.

Yes, I also vote in every election but what has that to do with the topic at hand?
Our country was founded in the 1700s, and its roots long precede that date - actually, if asked about this I'd cite Magna Carta as a key document in the creation of American democracy as well as other significant later writings from the Age of Reason (the 18th Century), such as Payne's "The Rights of Man". They are all part of our heritage and our history and are key to comprehending American democracy and government - we are not a "totally different country" now at all, as those documents are so significant and played such great roles in the minds of our Founding Fathers and Mothers.

As for coming here legally, there were few laws concerning immigration back then - if the New World looked like the promised land and you could raise the fare, you could come. Immigration laws came much, much later. So whether or not my early ancestors came here "legally" is a moot point and irrelevant. Once here, they became or rather, continued to be good people who cared about and fought for their country and their neighbors, and who reached out to those in dire need, and who fought and risked their lives for the newborn country they loved.

They set shining examples of patriotism and Christianity for their descendants.

Once again, the so-called "caravan" painfully making its way north is still about 800 miles from the U.S. border, and they are doing everything legally and have stated their intentions of continuing to do so. If they qualify for legal asylum, they will be granted entry. If not, they will have to remain outside. They are not illegal at all.

End of story.

So knock off the fake scare talk and name-calling of other posters. No need for either.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You do realize this is not illegal immigration, don't you? Those making their way slowly - very slowly - north have consistently and clearly said that they plan to apply for legal asylum at designated entry sites when they reach that border, which is exactly what they are required to do to abide by American law.

Why do you persist in calling them illegal - when they are not? Quit name-calling and accusing other posters of dire motivations, and inform yourself what the law - and the reality of this situation - are.

Most are bogus asylum claims it's been proven in the past. What prompted 7,000 or more in several different caravans to crash our border all at once? Hmm. I smell a rat! Did they not think about the hardship they'd place on our Border Patrol and court system and also the expense and time trying to process all these people or didn't they care? And no, most of them aren't fleeing for their lives they are coming seeking economic opportunity on the backs of the U.S. taxpayer. Many of them in the past didn't want to take no for answer so they just entered our country illegally anyway and I imagine the same thing will happen with these people especially since there are so many of them coming all at one time.

I know what the law is but Trump is seeking to change that because of the magnitude of the caravans heading our way and because it needs to be changed permanently for the sake of our own citizens. It's not name calling it's just the facts. Anyone who supports this nonsense is anti-American, IMO. I wouldn't feel bad though if I were you those of us who want this nonsense ended have been called much worse than that.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:29 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
You do realize this is not illegal immigration, don't you? Those making their way slowly - very slowly - north have consistently and clearly said that they plan to apply for legal asylum at designated entry sites when they reach that border, which is exactly what they are required to do to abide by American law.

Why do you persist in calling them illegal - when they are not? Quit name-calling and accusing other posters of dire motivations, and inform yourself what the law - and the reality of this situation - are.
Only 20% will qualify for asylum, what will the rest do? Caravan back to Honduras?

Old 11-03-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Our country was founded in the 1700s, and its roots long precede that date - actually, if asked about this I'd cite Magna Carta as a key document in the creation of American democracy as well as other significant later writings from the Age of Reason (the 18th Century), such as Payne's "The Rights of Man". They are all part of our heritage and our history and are key to comprehending American democracy and government - we are not a "totally different country" now at all, as those documents are so significant and played such great roles in the minds of our Founding Fathers and Mothers.

As for coming here legally, there were few laws concerning immigration back then - if the New World looked like the promised land and you could raise the fare, you could come. Immigration laws came much, much later. So whether or not my early ancestors came here "legally" is a moot point and irrelevant. Once here, they became or rather, continued to be good people who cared about and fought for their country and their neighbors, and who reached out to those in dire need, and who fought and risked their lives for the newborn country they loved.

They set shining examples of patriotism and Christianity for their descendants.

Once again, the so-called "caravan" painfully making its way north is still about 800 miles from the U.S. border, and they are doing everything legally and have stated their intentions of continuing to do so. If they qualify for legal asylum, they will be granted entry. If not, they will have to remain outside. They are not illegal at all.

End of story.

So knock off the fake scare talk and name-calling of other posters. No need for either.

If there were no laws against migrating here at will at the time then no law was broken! Not so today! What part of that don't you get? Back then we were sparsely populated country in need of nation builders. We had plentiful jobs and resources to sustain them. Not so today! There was no welfare for immigrants to tap into either. Not so today!

If you think these illegals today and bogus asylum seekers are a shining example patriotism and Christianity then your bleeding heart has clouded your thinking. We are preparing security at the border in case they do anything illegal when they get here, duh. Some will try to enter illegally unless we re-enforce our border to stop them. Why do you have a problem with that? We cannot allow 7,000 plus people to enter our country all at once legally or illegally for the reasons I mentioned in another post. It would put a terrible burden on us. Why didn't they take refuge in Mexico along with the jobs promised to them. Most refused!

There is no fake scare talk just you and yours who just deal in emotion rather than common sense. Why don't you tell your side to stop calling us racists, xenophobes, etc.? That name calling isn't even warranted but those who support this mess certainly aren't patriotic Americans by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:53 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
So many accusation. So little actual evidence, like none.

In fact, Trump didn't say it.

Don't you people ever get tired of being so consistently wrong?
Trump never said it but Don Lemon did. That's good enough.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Only 20% will qualify for asylum, what will the rest do? Caravan back to Honduras?
That will be up to them. As noted, many have turned back already or have chosen to remain in Mexico. By the time the remnant arrive, six to eight weeks from now, their numbers are likely to be even lower.

You know, it would make so much more sense for our government to support stability and democracy and economic opportunity in Honduras and Guatemala and the other "sending countries", so that people could live safe and productive lives in their own countries and not feel compelled to walk thousands of miles on the slim chance of admittance to ours, rather than to use this sad situation solely for political hay.

But this is Trump's doing, and he will not change. He is incapable of changing or doing the humane, logical, sensible thing. Instead, he's sending troops to the border and cutting off economic aid to Honduras...

Why people continue to buy his crap is beyond me. We need a better educated and informed populace in this country if democracy and basic decency are to survive, and I hope the next administration will make that a top priority.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:07 PM

Default The caravan meets its match: Concertina wire

To all those who are flipping out over the shoot to kill order falsely attributed to Trump, troops have a simpler tool at their disposal; the Concertina wire. I have to admit I had never heard of the term before. It can be rolled off the back of a truck laying down miles and miles in a single day. Let's see how the proverbial 30' ladder gets around it

Old 11-03-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If there were no laws against migrating here at will at the time then no law was broken! Not so today! What part of that don't you get? Back then we were sparsely populated country in need of nation builders. We had plentiful jobs and resources to sustain them. Not so today! There was no welfare for immigrants to tap into either. Not so today!

If you think these illegals today and bogus asylum seekers are a shining example patriotism and Christianity then your bleeding heart has clouded your thinking. We are preparing security at the border in case they do anything illegal when they get here, duh. Some will try to enter illegally unless we re-enforce our border to stop them. Why do you have a problem with that? We cannot allow 7,000 plus people to enter our country all at once legally or illegally for the reasons I mentioned in another post. It would put a terrible burden on us. Why didn't they take refuge in Mexico along with the jobs promised to them. Most refused!

There is no fake scare talk just you and yours who just deal in emotion rather than common sense. Why don't you tell your side to stop calling us racists, xenophobes, etc.? That name calling isn't even warranted but those who support this mess certainly aren't patriotic Americans by any stretch of the imagination.
Just like the ubiquitous Republican hate ads currently infesting the air waves, you are quoting me - misquoting me - completely out of context. I never said that the asylum seekers were shining examples of patriotism and Christianity, that was the description I used for my own ancestors who came here in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Why do you twist my words for your own purposes?? Why resort to such falsehoods and fakery? Why do you lie?

Nor did I ever state that we should automatically admit those making their way north - not 7,000, that's the number who started out, there are no more than 4,000 at present, last I heard, perhaps fewer as more are turning back or staying put each day. There are likely to be far fewer in another six or eight weeks when the last stragglers make their way to the legal border entry points- why on earth are 15,000 troops needed to deal with such a small number of would-be legal asylum seekers, all of whom are civilians and many of whom are women and children? It's all political posturing on Trump's part, which should be crystal clear to anyone who takes the trouble to examine reality.

Obviously we need to deal effectively with the situation. I do not support open borders at all, why do you insist that I do? But sending 15,000 troops is a waste of money and human resources and is a transparent, blatant political effort to gin up Trump's base and affect the election. How dumb does he think Americans are?

If you have a valid argument, by all means, express it, but stop lying about what I stated. It doesn't help your case at all and only makes you look bad.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Obviously we need to deal effectively with the situation. I do not support open borders at all, why do you insist that I do? But sending 15,000 troops is a waste of money and human resources and is a transparent, blatant political effort to gin up Trump's base and affect the election. How dumb does he think Americans are?

Anytime I hear someone say I do not support open borders but.... I know the argumnet has ended. Because they cannot offer a solution. If you are not for open borders and cannot offer any solution to safeguard the borders then you are for open borders. Walls? no, Troops? no, NG? no. How about this? Comprehensive immigration reform, drones, "technology", e-Verify etc. In the mean time, the hoardes are at the gate climbing over fences. That's a little late for immigration reform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies