Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 07:54 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
"Invasion" gets you double miles.
Well...what do you call it when thousands of people force their way into Mexico and injure police officers while doing it? These are the same people who are trying to scale the wall at the San Diego/Tijuana border.

Quote:
What? Populated by immigrants? Yeah, don't give me the spiel about illegals, these are people seeking asylum which is legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
But the grounds are not. Economic distress, marital discord and crime are not grounds for asylum.
^^^^Exactly! The vast majority of this caravan are young males. When asked, they admit to wanting to come here to make money. They have no claim to asylum.

Quote:
And no one has brought that up but you. And it's weird.

^^^^It has been mentioned before.

These people are coming from messed up countries. Why don't you let this be handled on a case by case basis instead of lumping them together?

They are being "lumped together" because the vast majority have to valid claim for asylum.

Don't think the countries produce viable asylum seekers. Well, the government disagrees with you as the largest percentage of those accepted as asylum seekers come from these countries.
^^^^Do you have a link that shows this? If so, please post it.

Besides, if any of them have a valid claim for asylum, then why aren't they asking Mexico for it? Mexico is offering them asylum.

Let's be honest here. They want the US because the freebies are better here than they are in Mexico. If they truly were in fear for their lives, then they would have gladly accepted Mexico's offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 08:00 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Well...what do you call it when thousands of people force their way into Mexico and injure police officers while doing it? These are the same people who are trying to scale the wall at the San Diego/Tijuana border.

^^^^Exactly! The vast majority of this caravan are young males. When asked, they admit to wanting to come here to make money. They have no claim to asylum.

Besides, if any of them have a valid claim for asylum, then why aren't they asking Mexico for it? Mexico is offering them asylum.

Let's be honest here. They want the US because the freebies are better here than they are in Mexico. If they truly were in fear for their lives, then they would have gladly accepted Mexico's offer.
I've posted the link to a .gov site before, and honestly, I get tired of repeating it. I actually look up the facts before I make up my mind on issues.

If you do not not know the percentages of asylum granted from S American countries by the US then shame on you for posting you opinion without facts.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-17-2018, 08:12 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:

Why don't you knock off the freebie nonsense?

The right wing posts continue to claim the caravan is all young men. Exactly which US programs are available to young male immigrants?

The Mexican offer is not clean Asylum. It is limited as to where and what. And it has none of the benefits of standard Asylum.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:20 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
I've posted the link to a .gov site before, and honestly, I get tired of repeating it. I actually look up the facts before I make up my mind on issues.

If you do not not know the percentages of asylum granted from S American countries by the US then shame on you for posting you opinion without facts.
I'm not ashamed. Why should I be? I asked you politely for a link. Could you at least point to a post number where you posted it?

I've watched many interviews of males in the caravans. When asked why they want to come here, they say their reasons are "economic". They don't want Mexico because they think they will make more money in the US. What they don't realize is that they will still be poor.

Here is a report on the percentage of males in the caravan:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...order-official

None of these males can claim asylum as it is not given for economic reasons.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:30 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
I'm not ashamed. Why should I be? I asked you politely for a link. Could you at least point to a post number where you posted it?
I've watched many interviews of males in the caravans. When asked why they want to come here, they say their reasons are "economic". They don't want Mexico because they think they will make more money in the US. What they don't realize is that they will still be poor.
Here is a report on the percentage of males in the caravan:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...order-official
None of these males can claim asylum as it is not given for economic reasons.
So that source claims that one CBP employee in San Diego somehow knew the composition of the caravan when it was what, 1000 miles away? That story has made its way through Infowars and various "Fox & Friends" hosts, all giving a slightly different variation of the story.

However...

Quote:
"Other media outlets have not confirmed this claim, and other reports contradict Fox’s accounts of the caravan’s members. Vox has reported that half of the migrants within the caravan are women and girls. Univision noted during a field visit that there were a large number of families, single mothers, and children, as well as older adults and people with disabilities in the caravan. And UNICEF reported in a press release that "an estimated 2,300 children traveling with [the] migrant caravan in Mexico need protection and essential services." https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/20...ck-to-a/221921

Old 11-18-2018, 03:11 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
And no one has brought that up but you. And it's weird.

These people are coming from messed up countries. Why don't you let this be handled on a case by case basis instead of lumping them together?

Don't think the countries produce viable asylum seekers? Well, the government disagrees with you as the largest percentage of those accepted as asylum seekers come from these countries.

For 2016, less than 6% of asylum seekers from Honduras were granted asylum. Seekers from El Salvador fared even worse, with just over 4% being granted asylum.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:46 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
For 2016, less than 6% of asylum seekers from Honduras were granted asylum. Seekers from El Salvador fared even worse, with just over 4% being granted asylum.
Were the rejected ones sent back to from where they came?

Old 11-18-2018, 04:11 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Were the rejected ones sent back to from where they came?

Most were “other” which I suspect means they disappeared into the country to join the millions of illegals already here.

https://www.justice.gov/eoir/file/as...stics/download

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...up-800-percent

Old 11-18-2018, 06:14 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Default "Migrants are Pigs"...say Tijuanans

Sorry progressives and liberals. It is is just not racist old white men who believe migrants are dangerous, should stay home or go back. Seems Mexicans who are seeing the mobs camping out in Tijuana think the same.

Maybe, just maybe folks around the world are learning that waves of 'migrants' trash the host countries, destroying the culture, the economies, bringing crime.

Quote:
Munoz was asleep on a beach in Tijuana with about two dozen other migrants when rocks came raining down on them around 2 a.m. Wednesday. He heard a man shout in the darkness: “We don’t want you here! Go back to your country!”
Quote:
Many of the nearly 3,000 Central American migrants who have reached the Mexican border with California via caravan said they do not feel welcome in the city of Tijuana, where hundreds more migrants are headed after more than a month on the road.

Quote:
Francisco Lopez, 50, owns a furniture store nearby. He said a group of migrants took food from a small grocery a few doors down, and he worries that crime in the area will rise the longer the migrants stay at the shelter.
The AP story on https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ility-tijuana/

Old 11-18-2018, 06:22 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
The mayor of Tijuana is asking for 4 million dollars to handle the influx of illegal immigrants that invaded their city. The caravan doesn't want to eat the food they been offering, and they dont have enough power strips to charge the caravans cell phones.

Democrats/bleeding heart Liberals, now is your chance to send money to Mexico to help them out!

No? I didn't think so, Lol.

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 11-18-2018 at 06:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies