Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 09:00 AM

14,226 posts, read 4,592,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Absolutely. This is why unless Americans are weakened by poor nutrition and living in these refugee camps, they are not really at risk of contracting TB.

Keep in mind that Latin Americans (as well as people from India, southeast Asia, Africa, and other areas of the world) travel in and out of the USA every single day. They stay in hotels here, they get jobs here, they overstay their visas here, they go to big tourist locations, take public transportation, etc. And yet there is not a tuberculosis epidemic here in the USA. If we're going to worry about people with TB, the bigger danger is homeless Americans. And even in cities where there are many homeless Americans, most people who are not homeless are not at risk of catching TB from them on the bus or whatever.
Yeah, foreign tourists who can afford to take vacations in United States, have to apply & qualify for VWP or B1/B2 tourist visas through US Consulate

=

Poorest of the poor in undevoped nations in central america traveling thousand of miles on foot and buses, lack of healthcare, living in crowded temporary camps, lack of nutrients, entering US unchecked

Totally legit comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:03 AM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
It's similar to a fear of flying. You're a lot more safe on an airplane than in a car, but many people fear flying. You're a lot more likely to catch (and die from) the flu at the grocery store than tuberculosis or hepatitis from a migrant in a refugee camp, but many people fear the latter much more than the former.

Vaccination rates are high overall in Honduras (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3539969/), so chances are good that most of these children are vaccinated. I don't think anyone would be opposed to mandatory vaccinations for things like measles, hepatitis, and pertussis/tetanus if they don't have or can't get their records, though. Things like a cold or head lice aren't able to be vaccinated against, as you surely know, so that's moot.

You're comparing an irrational fear of flying to a very real threat of unvetted foreigners entering our country? These migrants aren't going to be put into a camp if they manage to breach our border. They will disappear into our country unchecked for communicable deseases.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:13 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,778 times
You know, it's perfectly reasonable to want limits on immigration because this country has limited resources. And you can hold that belief while at the same time acknowledging that that the people who want to come to this country are human beings under difficult if not horrific circumstances and as a fellow human being, you feel empathy for them.

It is really not necessary to portray these people as disease infested vermin who are purposely trying to infect good clean godly Americans as part of some nefarious plot funded by George Soros.

If your response to learning that people in the caravan may have illnesses is "good they deserve it and I hope they die before they can bring their nasty germs into my precious America" you really need to examine what kind of person you are.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:15 AM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
YOu are worried about a few 100,000 illegal entering the US? How about the 75 million tourists? None receive any medical check and could have almost anything.

Those tourist don't go to our schools, hospitals or most other facilities. They also pass a border entry point where they can be denied access if they're sick.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:32 AM

14,226 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
You know, it's perfectly reasonable to want limits on immigration because this country has limited resources. And you can hold that belief while at the same time acknowledging that that the people who want to come to this country are human beings under difficult if not horrific circumstances and as a fellow human being, you feel empathy for them.

It is really not necessary to portray these people as disease infested vermin who are purposely trying to infect good clean godly Americans as part of some nefarious plot funded by George Soros.

If your response to learning that people in the caravan may have illnesses is "good they deserve it and I hope they die before they can bring their nasty germs into my precious America" you really need to examine what kind of person you are.
How many of them you want to take in?

My Vietnamese neighbor & his family fled his home country on a boat from Vietnam after the communist took over in 1975. He stayed in a refugee camp in Indonesia for 5 years before he was granted permission (after numerous interviews, medical checkup, immunization shots) to immigrate to the US. Those boat people have more legitimate refugee/asylum claim than the Central Americans.

Syrian war refugees have to wait in UN refugee camps for years before their refugee application is approved.

It took me 18 months from start to finish to petition my wife (after medical check, immunization shots, and $3000 in various user fees) before US Consulate issued her a visa to travel to US.

United States still accepts 1 million (+-) legal immigrants annually. So no, contrary to what media is telling you, we are still a country with open arms to LEGAL immigrants. Bum rushing the border and throwing rocks at the border agents because you have to wait for your turn like everyone else is not welcomed.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:36 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,129,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post

You should have stopped after your first paragraph. The rest apply to nobody here.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
How many of them you want to take in?

My Vietnamese neighbor & his family fled his home country on a boat from Vietnam after the communist took over in 1975. He stayed in a refugee camp in Indonesia for 5 years before he was granted permission (after numerous interviews, medical checkup, immunization shots) to immigrate to the US. Those boat people have more legitimate refugee/asylum claim than the Central Americans.

Syrian war refugees have to wait in UN refugee camps for years before their refugee application is approved.

It took me 18 months from start to finish to petition my wife (after medical check, immunization shots, and $3000 in various user fees) before US Consulate issued her a visa to travel to US.

United States still accepts 1 million (+-) legal immigrants annually. So no, contrary to what media is telling you, we are still a country with open arms to LEGAL immigrants. Bum rushing the border and throwing rocks at the border agents because you have to wait for your turn like everyone else is not welcomed.
I don't want to take any of them in.

OMFG. Did you even read anything I posted, or is your knee jerk response to anything that isn't IMMIGRANTS ARE EVIL KILL THEM ALL to say "how many of them do you want to take in"?

Let me repeat. And this was literally the first sentence of my post:

IT IS PERFECTLY REASONABLE TO WANT LIMITS ON IMMIGRATION BECAUSE THIS COUNTRY HAS LIMITED RESOURCES.

It is not necessary to demonize these people, to take pleasure in their suffering, to say they deserve to be gassed and executed and die from starvation and disease and are all criminals anyway.

All these anti immigration threads focus on how horrible these people are. Why? Why is it not enough to say "Their circumstances are terrible, and I feel horrible about that, but our country has limited resources."

Why is it necessary to pile on about how horrible and evil they are?

There is far more suffering in this world than any one of us can alleviate. The options aren't "help them personally or label them inhuman scum who deserve to suffer."

Old 11-29-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
You should have stopped after your first paragraph. The rest apply to nobody here.
If you believe that you've never read any of the immigration threads on this board, including this one.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Wow, colds and head lice and a few cases of chickenpox. Scandalous! Nothing like you see at your local elementary school on a daily basis or anything.
So true and my kids have always gone to school that have upper middle class more than anything else.

There's a real anti-vaccine movement and it's not all immigrants.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:09 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're comparing an irrational fear of flying to a very real threat of unvetted foreigners entering our country? These migrants aren't going to be put into a camp if they manage to breach our border. They will disappear into our country unchecked for communicable deseases.
This is an irrational fear. For how long have people been "breaching the border"? Many years. And yet there is no epidemic of tuberculosis in the United States. Outbreaks of vaccine-preventable illnesses have started in places like Disneyland (where I doubt there are too many poor migrants spending their days) and in Amish communities (again, no Honduran migrants have infiltrated these communities). They are largely prevented here because most of our children are vaccinated. And actually, vaccination rates in many of the countries where the migrants are coming from are also pretty high. The World Health Organization keeps track of that sort of thing.

Of all the things to fear or worry about, catching AIDS or hepatitis or tuberculosis or a killer cold from some random migrant really doesn't need to be on anyone's list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies