Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what should be done regarding 'innocent until proven guilty?'
conservative: discard it. 0 0%
conservative: greatly restrict it, for example to criminal trials only. 0 0%
conservative: keep it as it has been. 67 56.30%
liberal: discard it. 2 1.68%
liberal: greatly restrict it, for example to criminal trials only. 0 0%
liberal:keep it as it has been. 13 10.92%
independent: discard it. 0 0%
independent: greatly restrict it, for example to criminal trials only. 1 0.84%
independent:keep it as it has been. 36 30.25%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:01 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
No. There is no burden of proof on the accuser. That is a criminal law precept. This is the testimony of two individuals neither of which are governmental agents. The principle does not exist in such a hearing.

And the Republicans where even worse on believing the politically desirable outcome.

Which again points out no one went for truth.
I agree 'innocent until proven guilty' is a legal concept. For example, if the coach of a child's traveling sports team is accused of molestation by former players, I'd have zip against any parent who took their child off the team. I could give dozens of examples in non-legal settings when waiting for a criminal verdict or proof beyond a reasonable doubt is absurd.

otoh, your claim that R's were worse than D's and nobody wanted the truth is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 07:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
I know my boss at work doesn't necessarily lead with that theory.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:07 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
It seems some in the Democrat Party, and Media do want to circumvent the concept of innocent until proven guilty. This is akin to what Police States like the former East Germany, and Soviet Union did. It would be a huge step back in freedom, and liberty. Two things taken for granted by many today. Our freedoms are lessening due to our PC culture. It is time to push back.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
No conservative should want Kavanaugh based on his disrespect for the constitution and involvement in the Patriot act.
Agreed. And because he lied during his confirmation hearing.

And I’m not even referring to the Ford accusation itself.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:26 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
No conservative should want Kavanaugh based on his disrespect for the constitution and involvement in the Patriot act.
Given the alternatives, there's no question whatsoever that he should have been nominated and approved just as he was. Kavanaugh is by far the best option we had, Trump will get another pick and another chance to make up for it.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:56 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Agreed. And because he lied during his confirmation hearing.

And I’m not even referring to the Ford accusation itself.
I would not even try to dispute either of these. But both are really off topic. Clearly the overwhelming reason for the 48 votes against Kav. was that Dem Senators believed Ford over Kav. See the tweet by Sen Patty Murray.

And in doing so, these senators threw overboard 'innocent until proven guilty,' which, per the current poll results, is supported by over 97%. (100% of conservatives+independents).

Old 10-20-2018, 04:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I would not even try to dispute either of these. But both are really off topic. Clearly the overwhelming reason for the 48 votes against Kav. was that Dem Senators believed Ford over Kav. See the tweet by Sen Patty Murray.

And in doing so, these senators threw overboard 'innocent until proven guilty,' which, per the current poll results, is supported by over 97%. (100% of conservatives+independents).
Nope. No one was paying any attention to the Ford incident. All went to pragmatic politics.

Has nothing to do with "innocent until proven guilty" which had no bearing on this affair any way. That is a criminal principle not a legal one. In this case "preponderance of the evidence" would have been a more appropriate standard but the Senators did not use that either.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:32 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
How sad is the state of things, when such a question is even asked.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:33 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nope. No one was paying any attention to the Ford incident. All went to pragmatic politics.

Has nothing to do with "innocent until proven guilty" which had no bearing on this affair any way. That is a criminal principle not a legal one....
Yep. The poll results would indicate that 97.3% disagree with you. I even specifically offered the option of limiting 'innocent until proven guilty' to criminal trials. Not ONE person voted that way.

My union CBA disagrees with you, too.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:40 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Yep. The poll results would indicate that 97.3% disagree with you. I even specifically offered the option of limiting 'innocent until proven guilty' to criminal trials. Not ONE person voted that way.

My union CBA disagrees with you, too.
Nope that simply shows that most thinking people do not respond to absurd polls that are factually inaccurate.

You folks do not even understand what the present principle is so how on earth would you know you want to keep it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies