Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 04:43 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I think its more widespread than just white people being afraid of speaking freely about black people.
It seems that everything we read or hear is softened to reflect political correctness & avoid offending anyone.
I'm offended that they think I cant handle the truth & I tend to speak my mind. If it offends someone thats their problem. Thats life & reality, if your alive you will get offended. Get over it.

kinda like when wright exploited our gov faults
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 04:50 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
I often am in black face when I post, but it's cool, my best friend is a black guy.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:03 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
kinda like when wright exploited our gov faults
Good point. I was wondering where all the hardcore, non-pc, "Free speech I'll say what I want in your face" advocates disappeared to when he hit the scene.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:09 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
Poor awkward whitey, what's the point? Guilty conscience?

Old 08-25-2008, 07:49 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Good point. I was wondering where all the hardcore, non-pc, "Free speech I'll say what I want in your face" advocates disappeared to when he hit the scene.

I don't think anyone would deny Rev. Wright's "freedom" to say what he wanted.

That was SO not the point. It's what he said and who he's associated with. THAT'S what makes it a story. Not that he said it (though there should be investigations by the IRS into that "church's" tax exempt status).

Old 08-25-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
You make a good point with the supply and demand argument regarding hair dressers. However,capitalism is not the only thing to blame here. For example, TO THIS VERY DAY many makeup companies do not make colors to suit darker skinned (Black, Latina, Native American, etc) complexions. This goes for both high end (ex Chanel) as well as drugstore brands. There are tons of women out there who would purchase these products, but they're simply not made. It's not as though the colors are available, but only in certain markets. They just don't exist, period. People of color are ignored by many major companies, and you better believe it's about race.
What's the sinister motive you're alluding to when you say, "you better believe it's about race.?" DO you imagine corporate board meetings in which they have power point presentations on how to exclude potential consumers?

BTW, MAC, etc. carries full lines of products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17
And hell yes, it's extremely inconvenient. Something as trivial as buying makeup, getting your hair done, etc becomes a major chore for black people. Even black hairdressers are trained only to deal with chemically straightened hair. Do you know how difficult it is for a black woman who doesn't straighten her hair to find a hairdresser, even a black one? Simply wearing your hair the way it grows out your head is a huge deal for blacks.
And this is indicative of what, exactly? All the black women I know use Dominican hair stylists.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Poor awkward whitey, what's the point? Guilty conscience?

I think you'll find that the "whiteys" with the guilty consciouses are typically more of the liberal types who try to overcompensate. I would venture that the vast majority of white people are of the attitude that they don't owe anybody a damn thing.

It's almost requisite to have guilt to be a liberal. And I can say that as a moderately liberal guy.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:44 AM

257 posts, read 1,058,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If someone is educated and speaking "ebonics," then they are play acting, and shouldn't be taken seriously....ESPECIALLY if they are talking ebonics to someone outside of their cultural sub-subset.
Who are you and where do you come from?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:00 PM

257 posts, read 1,058,432 times
Quote:
What's the sinister motive you're alluding to when you say, "you better believe it's about race.?" DO you imagine corporate board meetings in which they have power point presentations on how to exclude potential consumers?

BTW, MAC, etc. carries full lines of products.

And this is indicative of what, exactly? All the black women I know use Dominican hair stylists.
Who said anything about a "sinister motive?" I said people of color are often "ignored" as consumers. As in, not even thought of in the first place. If a board meeting is going on about excluding customers, that means they are thinking about them. Yes MAC is wonderful and loved by women of color, but that is only one makeup line. There are plenty more who don't make the range of colors that MAC does. That was my point.

Not being able to wear your hair the way it grows out your head without negative social consequences is one of the difficulties of being black in America. The other poster said a lack of black hairdressers in a certain area was due to supply and demand. And I am saying that even in areas where there are many blacks, finding a hairdresser for afro-textured hair is difficult. Natural hair is not deemed "socially acceptable" for blacks, which is absurd to me.

Glad you brought up Dominican salons. Most of them are notorious for having an "anti-curl, anti-nap" mentality.
MiamiHerald.com | Afro-Latin Americans
http://woman.notiemail.com/arte/articulos.asp?lang=en&idart=4300 (broken link)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071302138.html

They will fry your hair and scalp with blowdryers and flatirons to remove every last kink. Many Dominican salons flat out refuse to deal with non-chemically straightened hair. If they do, they charge extra, because natural hair "is so much work." They rip through the hair with small combs, talk about you having "bad hair", etc. Don't even get me started on that.

Last edited by abrown17; 08-25-2008 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 12:02 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
I think you'll find that the "whiteys" with the guilty consciouses are typically more of the liberal types who try to overcompensate. I would venture that the vast majority of white people are of the attitude that they don't owe anybody a damn thing.

It's almost requisite to have guilt to be a liberal. And I can say that as a moderately liberal guy.
I'll completely agree. I'm a catholic AND a 'recovered liberal'. Guilt is absolutely VITAL to that mindset. The capacity for guilt (somewhat rare in the world, IMHO) is one of man's finest attributes. Yet it can be, and is, twisted and misused until excess, misplaced guilt becomes almost a 'badge of honor' in itself. Where to draw the line becomes the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies