Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:38 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Doesn't that happen already? It's happened since I can remember. Do you show up for a job interview dressed like you just came back from a survival trip in the desert? The phrase dress to impress applies for many things. Job interviews and funerals for example.

99% of the time I wear jeans and a T-shirt. I don't dress that way for formal occasions. Nor to I cuss at those occasions. Do you know why? Because everyone involved would judge me as a clueless no class white trash guy.
Job interviews and school are the only exception then, otherwise in public most people just dress whatever they want to be and sometimes I even see some nudity in the clothing and never do I see going after it...

But nobody said humans were supposed to work properly, we have misfunctioned as a species ever since we started.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:40 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
What the clucking cluck is going on round here? Am I going to have to teach a clucker a mother clucking lesson?

Come at me sensitive people

Old 10-18-2018, 09:42 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I never said you have to like it or cause at every rant you make, but just tolerate it...

Is funny how we get conditioned to least harmful of things as a whole...

I just said though if someone wants to risk saying whatever the hell they want, there will be consequences, not that this will scare anyone off eventually.
LOL we tolerate it every time we go to a Walmart or a McDonalds. Just as we tolerate unruly children with no discipline as well as bad drivers and other things.

Would I hire a contractor that showed up to do a job estimate if he cussed like a drunken sailor in front of my wife? NO, if his restraint is that low, why would I assume he has any discipline at all?

Would I respect a teacher who cusses in a parent teacher meeting? LOL Hell no.

I have been on flights with Teenagers cussing like bandits. I tolerated it, but wondered how their parents felt about it.

I have been to a ball game where teenagers not only cussed by were crude and vulgar in front of my 7 year old son. That I didn't tolerate.
Normally by adulthood we learn to be civil in our actions as well as the language we use.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
LOL we tolerate it every time we go to a Walmart or a McDonalds. Just as we tolerate unruly children with no discipline as well as bad drivers and other things.

Would I hire a contractor that showed up to do a job estimate if he cussed like a drunken sailor in front of my wife? NO, if his restraint is that low, why would I assume he has any discipline at all?

I have been on flights with Teenagers cussing like bandits. I tolerated it, but wondered how their parents felt about it.

I have been to a ball game where teenagers not only cussed by were crude and vulgar in front of my 7 year old son. That I didn't tolerate.
Normally by adulthood we learn to be civil in our actions as well as the language we use.
But children are not animals, they are human beings just like you, I think society thinks that they can get away with over-authorizing children no matter what... The more lenient the better a child could learn to approach responsibility.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:

And that's fine, we stigmatize drug use, we stigmatize smoking, so why should cussing be given a pass, right?

Old 10-18-2018, 10:04 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
I think censorship of the airwaves needs to go. There's no reason that FM radio and television shouldn't be able to say the F word or the S word. There's no reason nudity or sexual content shouldn't be allowed. Everything has a rating and parents can not let their kids watch if they don't want them to see it. With everything being accessible on the Internet these days, the obscenity laws have outlived their usefulness. However there likely would be a sharp backlash by the religious right if there was any talk of overturning them. In fact, one of the ways they want to take control of the entertainment industry is to strengthen those laws to enforce more family-oriented programming.

In terms of everyday life, there is a setting for profanity and there's a setting to be professional, and profanity isn't professional.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:06 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Swearing is low class. So is starting an identical thread to one that was locked. What is your stupid obsession with this subject?

Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think censorship of the airwaves needs to go. There's no reason that FM radio and television shouldn't be able to say the F word or the S word. There's no reason nudity or sexual content shouldn't be allowed. Everything has a rating and parents can not let their kids watch if they don't want them to see it. With everything being accessible on the Internet these days, the obscenity laws have outlived their usefulness. However there likely would be a sharp backlash by the religious right if there was any talk of overturning them. In fact, one of the ways they want to take control of the entertainment industry is to strengthen those laws to enforce more family-oriented programming.

In terms of everyday life, there is a setting for profanity and there's a setting to be professional, and profanity isn't professional.
Exactly! Brillant post!

Yes, especially if you're a PE teacher example do you really want to cuss with your students? Or would you rather teach them good sportsmanship?

Cussing can set a bad example for a lot of things, however we should still be able to just cuss out to get something out of our chest

PC culture and the religious right are the biggest threats currently to free speech, both parties use free speech as a scapegoat, you know?

Old 10-18-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Swearing is low class. So is starting an identical thread to one that was locked. What is your stupid obsession with this subject?
So I don't have the right to protest something I am not satisfied with? And what are you so concerned with? Fat acceptance is alright, but cussing is not...

The logic of society

Dang the first amendment is dying in general

RIP this great country

Old 10-18-2018, 10:12 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I used to have a problem when I'd be out in public wih my young kids and morons around me would start cussing. I don't mean a few curse words. Eff this, eff that, etc. etc. Now that my kids are 17 and 18, we listen to Eminem music unedited together. LOL Not sure what that says about me.
What I find personally funny about this is that we as adults are the ones who decided it was "profanity", yet in hypocritical fashion, we're the ones using it the most.

IMHO, a word is a word. "What the heck" means the same thing as "what the hell" as does "**********" and "F this". If anything, profanity has a more passionate effect than the non curse versions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies