Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 04:26 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times

Advertisements

...here's some serious reading, a big article on hacking the vote:

Theoretically, the reliability of the voting process should be of concern to everyone. But I'll freely admit that Democrats will especially be interested, because ominous signs point to anti-Dem trends.

I know this is long, but very worthwhile.

The Crisis of Election Security
As the midterms approach, America’s electronic voting systems are more vulnerable than ever. Why isn’t anyone trying to fix them?

By Kim Zetter

...As the 2018 elections approach, the American intelligence community is issuing increasingly dire warnings about potential interference from Russia and other countries, but the voting infrastructure remains largely unchanged.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/26/m...-midterms.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 04:33 PM

Default Put on your thinking caps: What's the one obvious solution to vote insecurity that no politician is suggesting?

Okay, are you thinking?

Many, like Trump, aren't thinking much about protecting the vote from hacking at all. The few who do worry talk about various cyber-defense ploys.

But the one thing that would help immensely is if - until we solve the problem - we return temporarily to actual paper ballots, cast on Election Day. Then there would at least be physical evidence. But no one would dream of suggesting it, because having become dependent on the ease of electronics, everyone is too lazy to revert to paper again.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:35 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

Theoretically, the reliability of the voting process should be of concern to everyone. But I'll freely admit that Democrats will especially be interested, because ominous signs point to anti-Dem trends.

As the midterms approach, America’s electronic voting systems are more vulnerable than ever. Why isn’t anyone trying to fix them?

By Kim Zetter

...As the 2018 elections approach, the American intelligence community is issuing increasingly dire warnings about potential interference from Russia and other countries, but the voting infrastructure remains largely unchanged.

I had concerns about electronic voting as far back as 2000, when the discussion first came up in wake of the Bush/Gore voting issue. I knew that once you make something electronic, it's easy to hack into it. Sometimes the old ways are the best (20th century voting booths with punchcards. I never had any trouble with them).

Old 10-20-2018, 04:38 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Mods need to merge your duplicate threads that you created on the same topic minutes apart.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...whats-one.html

Same thing...merge it.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:39 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
I'll take hanging chads over companies owned by Republicans that have their machines made in China any day.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:52 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
Quote:
Okay, are you thinking?

Many, like Trump, aren't thinking much about protecting the vote from hacking at all. The few who do worry talk about various cyber-defense ploys.

But the one thing that would help immensely is if - until we solve the problem - we return temporarily to actual paper ballots, cast on Election Day. Then there would at least be physical evidence. But no one would dream of suggesting it, because having become dependent on the ease of electronics, everyone is too lazy to revert to paper again.
Trump stated in a speech or either at one of his rallies that YES they are working on dealing with the voter fraud problem.

Paper ballots is the answer imo. I cannot believe that I actually agree with you on something.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Mods need to merge your duplicate threads that you created on the same topic minutes apart. Same thing...merge it.
No - it's not. My comment is separate, in no way related to the article. If you decide to read the article, you'll see that.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:54 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Okay, are you thinking?

It wouldn't work, the Detroit area in the 2016 election recount had precincts with as much as 60% of their paper ballots ineligible for recount because they showed signs of fraud.

So paper ballots do not protect elections either.

You should ask yourself why so many states refused to work with the task force that Trump started to insure election integrity.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:57 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
I think a solid paper trail is necessary (there are machines that will give you a paper receipt). I think the way vote-by-mail is done in Oregon and Washington is also pretty fraud-proof.

Ultimately, I think any system can be gamed. There's just harder and easier.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:58 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:

By Kim Zetter

some of the big talk back in the oo's was "oh the Diebold machines can be hacked"

the 008' election PROVED that hacking machine that are now hooked to the internet was not happening

if...if.. hacks could happen... McCain would have been elected over the horrible obozo.... but nope obozo won, and in his words "elections have consequences"

/end trolling thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies