Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 05:34 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Sorry, too little and too late............Sears is most likely done-for, permanently. Does some deep-pockets investor want to give the Zombie a while, maybe. But all that debt, doubt anyone can turn that stinky Dinosaur around.

As for selling made-in-America stuff, that gag won't work for this debt-ridden company. I do not really care where something was made, as long as it is decent quality and cheap......most probably feel the same.
Then based on your premise, people should not complain about not having Jobs in America.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:47 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Sorry, too little and too late............Sears is most likely done-for, permanently. Does some deep-pockets investor want to give the Zombie a while, maybe. But all that debt, doubt anyone can turn that stinky Dinosaur around.

As for selling made-in-America stuff, that gag won't work for this debt-ridden company. I do not really care where something was made, as long as it is decent quality and cheap......most probably feel the same.
Buying what suits you best also guides the wonderful Free Market to directly choose where to make it, what materials to use, in a manner that is financially sustainable.

Charitable decisions should involve orgs like the Red Cross or United Way, not your purchase patterns as a consumer.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:50 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Retail relies on frequent sales. Not one sale over your lifetime.
Retail relies on customer LOYALTY...nobody buys only one tool.....people have hundreds.

Plus tool exchange leads to follow on purchases.

But that isn't an issue for Sears because its a department store...they have lots of different items in the store. The tools are only one component of the product selection. If you were only operating a tool store (stand alone craftsman hardware store) you obviously wouldn't sell only hand tools - so even as a specialty shop you'd still be providing the customer with many opportunities to spend money.

The point is, the warranty and Made in USA were the attraction of the product. It stood apart from most other tools. That brand rested on those two attributes.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:51 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Quote:

Those two things are mutually exclusive for the most part. That's why cheap tools have no warranty at all. It breaks, you just throw it in the trash and buy another...rinse and repeat endlessly.

OTOH Craftsman tools were made right, to last, because of the warranty.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Those two things are mutually exclusive for the most part. That's why cheap tools have no warranty at all. It breaks, you just throw it in the trash and buy another...rinse and repeat endlessly.

OTOH Craftsman tools were made right, to last, because of the warranty.

Really, I have a boxful of cheap, decent quality tools that I have used a LOT, for years. For the most part, almost all have performed admirably and never failed. The failed tools, well, usually me using the wrong tool for the job or me totally abusing the tool that broke.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:34 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Then based on your premise, people should not complain about not having Jobs in America.

I understand that sentiment, but I also embrace the current reality when it comes to consumerism, pricing and where goods come from.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:16 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,312 times
When was the last time Sears made a profit? They should have closed a decade ago.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:55 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Let me make this simple. Lampert has looted both stores for over a decade and has long recouped all he put into them.

He appears to be wanting to save the last 400 or so stores as all have a positive EBITDA but debt is crushing even positive stores at this point.

Phantom had a good post. The only path out I see is someone with a good name (NOT LAMPERT, Bain or any other parasite) buying Sears assets from the bankruptcy. Change the name to The Kenmore and Craftsman store, run a lean operation heavy on customer service and light on management layers. A very narrow path and one I do not think anyone is willing to take. Sears does not have a great distribution system either.

In the end, we allow the .01% richest to do as they please. The US does not differentiate between the parasitical vampire capitalists and the critical venture capitalists. 1 person gets 100 million dollars, 100,000 lose their pension and 140,000 lose their jobs.

Fortunately of the 140,000, most are part time and for the part timers, such jobs are exceedingly plentiful now. It will be harder for the full timers. Managers of other stores are known to go into closing Sears stores now directly to poach employees since they are far more likely than the average street walk-in to pass the required by insurance drug test. Sears pays lower than Walmart and Target and many will get a surprising raise. HD and Lowes are going to take many of the tools and the appliance people. Why train when you can leverage someone else's experience?

Old 10-22-2018, 05:11 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
When was the last time Sears made a profit? They should have closed a decade ago.
correct.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:21 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Some decades ago, Sam Walton of Walmart was interviewed on CBS' 60 Minutes. He made the bold claim that 90% of their products were made in the U. S. and that the other 10% were items that were not made in this country. CBS did an investigation and found that in fact, 90% of Walmart products were made overseas. It was all a big lie.

Does anyone think that any of the big-box chain merchandisers are doing anything different, in the sourcing of their products? In just the same way that politicians make false claims and promises during campaigns and then escape unpunished, these retailers do the same. The way that so much fraud is carried-out and then overlooked, you'd almost think that it was a genetically-ingrained behavior trait of our species. They say that chimpanzees cheat each other and tell non-verbal lies. The practice goes way back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies