Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 07:10 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Ever been to Chicago? Thats the midwest and its flooded with illegals. Everywhere from Hispanic, to Russian, to Polish....
I think you are on the wrong thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 07:20 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
My home state Ohio had 2 cities in the top 10 and neither of them were Columbus. I was surprised Columbus was not on the list since I work there but live in the country. I have never seen anything like the current employment situation in my life there is so many jobs to be found there that it is unreal. I could get a job right now making $15 to $18 an hour if I were to quit my current job or get fired.

At this moment I am not making $15 an hour but love the work I do and it gives me a sense of really contributing to the community. There is so much work I know it must be a mental problem for those who hold up signs begging for money or they are pure lazy because in Columbus there are plenty of jobs that pay decent wages to be had.

Like Trump would say " I can walk down 5th avenue and shoot someone and have a job the next day". So Columbus is a good city for gaining employment and the state of Ohio must be doing something right.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:22 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Ever been to Chicago? Thats the midwest and its flooded with illegals. Everywhere from Hispanic, to Russian, to Polish....

Chicago is the midwest's NYC. Most of the midwest is not like Chicagoland. They put up with far more BS than we ever would.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:36 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
My home state Ohio had 2 cities in the top 10 and neither of them were Columbus. I was surprised Columbus was not on the list since I work there but live in the country. I have never seen anything like the current employment situation in my life there is so many jobs to be found there that it is unreal. I could get a job right now making $15 to $18 an hour if I were to quit my current job or get fired.

At this moment I am not making $15 an hour but love the work I do and it gives me a sense of really contributing to the community. There is so much work I know it must be a mental problem for those who hold up signs begging for money or they are pure lazy because in Columbus there are plenty of jobs that pay decent wages to be had.

Like Trump would say " I can walk down 5th avenue and shoot someone and have a job the next day". So Columbus is a good city for gaining employment and the state of Ohio must be doing something right.
Thats not very good pay. What kind of jobs are these?

Old 10-22-2018, 10:11 PM

152 posts, read 61,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
For years and years we always heard that places like New York , San Francisco , Seattle were great places for jobs.

They still are, depending, of course, on which lists you choose to go with. You just happened to come across one that excludes certain cities such as SF and NYC from the top 10.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:16 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:

Old 10-23-2018, 12:33 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
For years and years we always heard that places like New York , San Francisco , Seattle were great places for jobs.

This top 10 list includes many midwestern cities that many on the coasts seem to ignore or have written off. The Midwest seems to have really come back , but the positive things happening to seem to be reported too much in the mainstream media .

From my own research I know many cities like Pittsburgh and Indianapolis are experiencing a lot of startup and tech growth and people can actually afford homes there unlike NYC , San Francisco and Seattle .

“flyover country “ as the liberal elites call the Midwest doesn’t seem to be doing too bad these days .

I was born and raised in L.A myself but it seems there are so many on the coasts that are really out of touch with what has been going on in these cities .

—-
With a record number of openings across the country, jobs site Glassdoor released a list of the 25 best cities for jobs in 2018. Using data from its platform to look at hiring opportunities, cost of living and job satisfaction, Glassdoor found that major cities like New York and San Francisco don't make the top 10 for best job locations.
Meanwhile, smaller cities like Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; St. Louis, Missouri and Indianapolis, Indiana top the list with thousands of job openings and a fairly reasonable cost of living.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/19/glas...job-today.html
In order to get a good job in NYc and so. One must poses a 4 year degree from a top University.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:00 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Thats not very good pay. What kind of jobs are these?
For the area those are good paying jobs. The COL in Columbus is not to high but it is rising and a person in that range can make a decent living and have good housing. The jobs that are plentiful in Columbus that I am talking about is considered low skill employment like factory,warehouse,driving jobs,etc.

As far as skilled employment goes I am not sure what the employment situation would be since I do not have the education or qualifications to land one of them. Maybe that is why 2 other Ohio cities were in the top 10 and not Columbus? Even the countryside around Columbus are seeking employees, I drive 24 miles before hitting I 71 and out in the middle of no where is a huge lit up sign looking for cement finishers for $18 an hour. Was not long ago that field was paying like $10 to $12.

The secret is to work in Columbus but not live there. There are a bunch of places in the country or small towns where the cost of living is way way lower with in a hours drive.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:21 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Midwest is nice for blue collar workers. Far fewer illegals to drive down wages as well.

SF, NYC and the rest can keep their illegals, we sure as hell don't need them around

You guys can also keep all your sidewalk syringes and piles of human waste. What a mess you liberals have created

On the bright side, liberal cities do offer high paying "poop patrol" jobs, which will be useful for paying down all that student loan debt. Go ahead, apply all those years of education toward cleaning human waste. Reach for the stars millennials, seek your full human potential!
Shocked the heck out of me but when I was in Detroit's west burbs it was booming and not subtly.

Construction cranes EVERYWHERE. Most of what I saw seemed to consist of a 3 story office building attached to a warehouse/ factory.

Interestingly the nice suburbs were only "affordable" as compared to SF but not all that much to the 80K a year family who does not want to be house poor. They were very nice tho. And I got to go to BLACK STONE STEAKHOUSE! Now that was a cool place.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:04 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Shocked the heck out of me but when I was in Detroit's west burbs it was booming and not subtly.

Construction cranes EVERYWHERE. Most of what I saw seemed to consist of a 3 story office building attached to a warehouse/ factory.

Interestingly the nice suburbs were only "affordable" as compared to SF but not all that much to the 80K a year family who does not want to be house poor. They were very nice tho. And I got to go to BLACK STONE STEAKHOUSE! Now that was a cool place.
Yeah it seems Detroit has come back over the past several years . Never been there though . When I’ve looked up property in the downtown area it’s not too cheap though , Midtown , Corktown areas .
Seems like it could be a good opportunity to invest there if one knows the neighborhoods well .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies