Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 05:17 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You're doing the intellectual somersaults claiming an illegal alien is the same as what was considered a legal resident and typically a citizen of a state. If you carve out US Indians who were always rightfully here and free persons, you darn sure would carve out people who entered the country illegally. Latin Americans and other illegal aliens are much more foreign than US Indians.
You may wish that were so, but that isn't what the Constitution says. It says there are Free People, Indians exempt from paying taxes, and all other people.

Let's try this by process of elimination:

Illegal immigrants are not Indians exempt from paying tax.
Illegal immigrants are not enslaved.
Illegal immigrants are people, however much you might wish it wasn't so.

Ergo, illegal immigrants count as 1 person for census purposes unless you think you can just invent a fourth category of People ("people rightfully here") - which is found nowhere in the Constitution. That is what triggered by response about being an Originalist, but only when it suits you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 05:21 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,623 times
1. Because illegal immigrants don't actually negatively impact me. They actually improve my daily life a great deal.
2. Because I am not so dense a human being that I lack compassion and cannot imagine myself in their situation. There but for the grace of god go I.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
You may wish that were so, but that isn't what the Constitution says. It says there are Free People, Indians exempt from paying taxes, and all other people.

Let's try this by process of elimination:

Illegal immigrants are not Indians exempt from paying tax.
Illegal immigrants are not enslaved.
Illegal immigrants are people, however much you might wish it wasn't so.

Ergo, illegal immigrants count as 1 person for census purposes unless you think you can just invent a fourth category of People ("people rightfully here") - which is found nowhere in the Constitution. That is what triggered by response about being an Originalist, but only when it suits you.
Illegal aliens aren't even suppose to be here and are supposed to all be deported. So the idea they should count in the census for the purposes of representation is ludicrous on its face.

You don't know anything about originalism and what "the People" meant. It also says in the census clause that the census shall be taken in such manner as law directs. There's nothing preventing census laws to not include illegals. Liberals think only laws they agree with can be constitutional, when liberals don't understand the constitution to begin with.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Illegal aliens aren't even suppose to be here and are supposed to all be deported. So the idea they should count in the census for the purposes of representation is ludicrous on its face.

You don't know anything about originalism and what "the People" meant. It also says in the census clause that the census shall be taken in such manner as law directs. There's nothing preventing census laws to not include illegals. Liberals think only laws they agree with can be constitutional, when liberals don't understand the constitution to begin with.
Illegal immigrants are people and are not slaves. Hence, they are free people. I’m sorry, but we don’t jettison the plain language of the Constitution to accommodate your xenophobia. I will be sure to remember this thread the next time you want to try to masquerade as an originalist.

The census clause concerning a “manner in which the law directs” quite obviously did not empower States to count the census in a manner that contradicts the Constitution concerning the counting of all free people as 1 for census purposes.

And I’m not a liberal. But judging from your want to ignore the plain language of the Constitution to achieve a desired outcome, I would guess that you are.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:49 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
1. Because illegal immigrants don't actually negatively impact me. They actually improve my daily life a great deal.
2. Because I am not so dense a human being that I lack compassion and cannot imagine myself in their situation. There but for the grace of god go I.
A person that is paid less for more work because of their fear of being deported for breaking the law benefits you. Sounds a lot like something else than being compassionate.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:54 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
I think it's patently clear that there are many at the top who benefit from illegal immigration and are happy to have it continue and prosper. They love low-skilled labor that competes with native workers, to drive down labor costs. Other get their nanny and maid and lawn services cheaper.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Illegal immigrants are people and are not slaves. Hence, they are free people. I’m sorry, but we don’t jettison the plain language of the Constitution to accommodate your xenophobia. I will be sure to remember this thread the next time you want to try to masquerade as an originalist.

The census clause concerning a “manner in which the law directs” quite obviously did not empower States to count the census in a manner that contradicts the Constitution concerning the counting of all free people as 1 for census purposes.

And I’m not a liberal. But judging from your want to ignore the plain language of the Constitution to achieve a desired outcome, I would guess that you are.
I'm the xenophobe? I have a rational "fear" of illegal aliens and miscounting the census. I'm not the one with such an irrational fear of real Americans that I advocate they be diluted by illegal aliens.

The constitution's language is clear that the census did not intend to include foreigners or outsiders and illegal aliens are completely that more so than US Indians , and that census law can direct how the census is taken.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I'm the xenophobe? I'm not the one with such an irrational fear of real Americans that I advocate they be diluted by illegal aliens.

The constitution's language is clear that the census did not intend to include foreigners or outsiders and illegal aliens are completely that more so than US Indians , and that census law can direct how the census is taken.
Which part of Article I carves out “outsiders and foreigners” from being counted in the census?

You’re just making things up now.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Which part of Article I carves out “outsiders and foreigners” from being counted in the census?

You’re just making things up now.
When it doesn't count US Indians who were always here and free persons. Illegal aliens are not "the People" and are more alien than US Indians. Why would you count someone who is not supposed to be here and is to be removed? Also to be a slave is a form of being considered an outsider. How many times are we going to go over this?

Old 10-23-2018, 06:06 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Quote:
What about the human right to not have your territory and communities flooded with foreigners and mainly from the third world at that?
It’s not just human rights, it’s money. There is not enough to go around to keep supporting new immigrants and their kids. I’d like to see more money go to veterans, it’s abominable the way many are treated, and to help the homeless get back on their feet, and helping the kids who are already here. It’s not our responsibility to take care of the entire world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies