Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Hey great idea Trump.

Those countries will get 100 times worse and people will be fleeing faster. And that is what Trump wants. If he can keep people coming it wins him political points with fearful base who believe his lies.

We should look at why they are leaving--why aren't we doing something to find a solution to the problem instead of fighting the symptoms? Trump doesn't want it to stop or he'll have nothing to say at the next two years of re-election rallies. Maybe the guy should stop campaigning and ask some smart people about it, instead of Javanka and Miller.

"...But experts on refugees say those moves are unlikely to stop this caravan or stem future ones, since the migrants are primarily driven by conditions in their home countries, not U.S. policy...."

Donald Trump Makes Threats Over Caravan of Migrants | Time

You can send a hefty portion of your paycheck down there weekly. Sign up your buddies to do the same.
But putting a boot on my throat and taking it from me, as I don't agree, is going to cause some BIGTIME resentment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 08:47 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I say let's not stop there.
Time to quit buying friends and see who really is our friend, or just using us.
We may not like the answer to that question^. It's not just about being "friends", it's also about having customers for our goods, and alliances around the globe when we need them. To consider it "buying" is accurate enough, but another way to look at it is barter. We have wealth and other things to trade, for their loyalty, and for them to keep being customers of ours. Same reason a profit-driven company does charitable work in their community. It's not (only) to be good citizens, it's to "buy" a certain image, and to grow the business.

----

Your comment below is spot on. (I'll send reps if they let me) You almost sound like someone from "my team". But that is exactly right. The real reason we provide aid to other countries follows the theory behind why we did the Marshall Plan. Yes, I realize it's completely different times, but the concept is not all that different. We want to build third world nations, partly so they grow their economy, and have needs that we can fulfill by selling our products and services. If we really "quit buying friends and see who is really our friend", then we might also limit our markets. I will also agree with you that those people are indeed "using us". But not "just" using us. Again, it comes back to the quid-pro-quo I hinted on above. We have aid and can help them to build their economy. By doing so, we are also (theoretically) growing our customer base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That sounds good for fodder, but if you want to be honest with yourself.

The Marshall Plan provided aid to the recipients essentially on a per capita basis, with larger amounts given to major industrial powers. This was based on the belief of Marshall and his advisors that recovery in these larger nations was essential to overall global recovery.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:55 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Hey great idea Trump.

Those countries will get 100 times worse and people will be fleeing faster. And that is what Trump wants. If he can keep people coming it wins him political points with fearful base who believe his lies.

We should look at why they are leaving--why aren't we doing something to find a solution to the problem instead of fighting the symptoms? Trump doesn't want it to stop or he'll have nothing to say at the next two years of re-election rallies. Maybe the guy should stop campaigning and ask some smart people about it, instead of Javanka and Miller.

"...But experts on refugees say those moves are unlikely to stop this caravan or stem future ones, since the migrants are primarily driven by conditions in their home countries, not U.S. policy...."

Donald Trump Makes Threats Over Caravan of Migrants | Time
hmm

Quote:
Those countries will get 100 times worse
Hmm..not really our problem is it?

Quote:
We should look at why they are leaving
Hmm..not really our problem is it?

Quote:
-why aren't we doing something to find a solution to the problem
BECAUSE WE ARE NOT THE SOLUTION TO THE WORLDS PROBLEMS

Old 10-23-2018, 09:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
We may not like the answer to that question^. It's not just about being "friends", it's also about having customers for our goods, and alliances around the globe when we need them. To consider it "buying" is accurate enough, but another way to look at it is barter. We have wealth and other things to trade, for their loyalty, and for them to keep being customers of ours. Same reason a profit-driven company does charitable work in their community. It's not (only) to be good citizens, it's to "buy" a certain image, and to grow the business.

I'm not into giving My customers a buttload of cash, just so they buy my stuff with it.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:42 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
This sounds like a great idea until you think it through. Its perfect for those with no understanding of political geography, soft power, and global markets.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:55 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,101 times
should've never been giving those cesspools a dime in the first place

Old 10-23-2018, 09:56 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
OK, but understand this will ultimately result in even more "immigrants".

Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
should've never been giving those cesspools a dime in the first place
Was the US giving aid out of the kindness of its heart or, perhaps, because it is in our economic and security interests to do so? Again, platitudes and soundbites might be appealing but it would behoove you to look at things on a macro level.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:01 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
OK, but understand this will ultimately result in even more "immigrants".
More that won't be allowed in. That's their problem.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:21 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
I could think of better things to spend 297 million bucks on the Guatemala!!!

https://explorer.usaid.gov/cd/GTM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies