Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Megyn Kelly keep her show?
Yes 162 66.67%
No 81 33.33%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 06:47 AM

45,065 posts, read 26,231,374 times

Advertisements

Just change the channel and let her employer worry about it.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:48 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,054,147 times
No, she deserves to get fired.

Why? Not because of what she said, but because she said it. Megyn Kelly has been in this business for a long time. She is well aware of the hyper-sensitive world we live in today. People have been fired left and right lately over the past few years over controversial statements.

One of the biggest no-nos in TV is to NEVER mention, imitate, or endorse "black face." It's one of the biggest triggers for liberals (as well it should be, because it's inappropriate). And she went there. And she's dumb for doing so.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:54 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,556,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
No, she deserves to get fired.

Why? Not because of what she said, but because she said it. Megyn Kelly has been in this business for a long time. She is well aware of the hyper-sensitive world we live in today. People have been fired left and right lately over the past few years over controversial statements.

One of the biggest no-nos in TV is to NEVER mention, imitate, or endorse "black face." It's one of the biggest triggers for liberals (as well it should be, because it's inappropriate). And she went there. And she's dumb for doing so.

I am old enough to have actually seen white actors in blackface playing blacks - it was not a proud moment in television. Why someone IN television would think this was ok for Halloween is hard to figure out.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:58 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,772,984 times
This is the end of the road NBC wanted. They didn't want a beautiful, smart, conservative woman on national TV. So they gave her a lot of money and then put her in successively less appropriate situations. The knew eventually something would come up that would finish her even if they didn't know what it would be.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:03 AM

1,874 posts, read 812,141 times
I'll be going in my obama mask this halloween. hope the thought police don't get me.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:13 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,763,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
How about this black “friend” address this. It does have negative connotations, very much so. However, it should be no more acceptable or unacceptable to portray other races of people based on negative stereotypes than it is to do this. (Looking at you Cleveland Indians’ Chief Wahoo)

As to my input, I am older than Ms. Kelley, who is far from one of my favorite TV personalities, and I have a greater vested interest in the topic, so I am well aware of what makes blackfacing at Halloween so offensive - she has no reason to know. It truly is just a Halloween costume to her. She has now most assuredly been educated differently, she has apologized, and I have great faith she won’t do it again. She should not be fired for this, there will be plenty of reason to fire her if her ratings crash as a result of her words. This country needs to stop demanding people be immediately fired because they are offended, if enough people are offended and it affects the employers bottom line it will happen naturally.

I don’t know exactly what she said and I don’t care what nbc does in their light fluff division. But if you’re trying to make me believe that and adult woman who has spent her career in news, is unaware that blackface is offensive? I don’t believe that for a second. Maybe she believes what she says, maybe she’s falling back to her faux news ways trying to gin up controversy. Either way, it backfired on her and now nbc has cover to let her go because she never generated ratings commensurate with her pay.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:14 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,921,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I can't believe you are still bringing up slavery in 2018. How long ago was that??? Anybody still alive that owned slaves in America? To keep viewing blacks as only victims in society is condescending, and does them a disservice. Keep it up, and you will keep them DOWN.

Jim Crow era laws are still remembered by people alive today. To pretend as if blacks have equal rights, representation, and as fair a shot in this country is asinine. It was barely a generation ago that they first started attending the same schools as white children. Please check your white privilege, oh, and I'm white.

I'm guessing you aren't going to be asking your African American friends about black face. How convenient, racists don't have black friends, who would have known.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:23 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,406,921 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you aren't going to be asking your African American friends about black face. How convenient, racists don't have black friends, who would have known.
Do racists of color (roc) have white friends?

Old 10-25-2018, 07:26 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,339,047 times
Easy to see why Tamron Hall got disgusted and left the Today show.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:27 AM

19,423 posts, read 12,075,024 times
I think she was making a distinction between minstrel "blackface" and using makeup to look like a particular character for a costume. It IS different, there is no caricature or insult in the second and it is for authenticity not to mock anyone.

Someone needs to tell the manufacturers of Ariana Grande that skin darkening is wrong because had light skin before she was given a makeover to look more ethnic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies