Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Megyn Kelly keep her show?
Yes 162 66.67%
No 81 33.33%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 07:28 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
In light of Megyn Kelly's recent comments on Black Face, and suggesting that it is okay as long as you're a child and playing a character, later retracting and apologizing for those comments.

I always thought Kelly's departure of Fox News, where she had been a staple of that Company for years was suspect, and I was even more surprised to hear that NBC would be picking her up for her own talk show, given her past. It seems that this may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. What is your opinion? Should her show be canned? Or are people taking this too far?
This may be the symbolic straw, but there are reports they have been trying to rework her role at NBC for months now.

She is not the brightest out there -- she can't be.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:33 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Were white people hunted down and forced into slavery in the numbers black people were? Were white people hung for looking a a black woman, or daring to vote?

Study your history of why blackface is racist.
I don't agree.....blacks will never be equal until they can get insulted just like everyone else

...and get over it

Old 10-25-2018, 07:34 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
I really and truly feel sorry for the minorities who actually buy into the ultra-PC propaganda. You likely have a majority of the millions of black people in America walking around with a HUGE chip on their shoulders. They see racism where it isn't constantly. The have given words power that the words don't deserve. The ever expanding list of racial slurs that are not necessarily racial slurs. The n-word is the saddest thing. If a white person utters the n-word, every black person who hears it is expected to either violently attack that white person or to curl up in the fetal position and weep uncontrollably. How can any sane person give that much power to mere words? It must be completely exhausting carrying all of that bitterness and resentment around!

If black face was used impolitely in the past, what's that got to do with anything today? If I want to dress up as a Navy Seal and I'm white, odds are that black-face and face-paint are part of the outfit. Is that racist? If I want to be Jimmy Hendrix for Halloween, how is that hurting anyone? I should think it's more of a compliment recognizing a black man who was iconic in the music industry, and yes indeed black-face will probably be needed to complete the outfit.

How the hell did this get escalated all the way to, "Does Megan Kelly deserve to be fired for this?" Of course she doesn't. Have we gone completely insane?

Old 10-25-2018, 07:39 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I really and truly feel sorry for the minorities who actually buy into the ultra-PC propaganda. You likely have a majority of the millions of black people in America walking around with a HUGE chip on their shoulders. They see racism where it isn't constantly. The have given words power that the words don't deserve. The ever expanding list of racial slurs that are not necessarily racial slurs. The n-word is the saddest thing. If a white person utters the n-word, every black person who hears it is expected to either violently attack that white person or to curl up in the fetal position and weep uncontrollably. How can any sane person give that much power to mere words? It must be completely exhausting carrying all of that bitterness and resentment around!

If black face was used impolitely in the past, what's that got to do with anything today? If I want to dress up as a Navy Seal and I'm white, odds are that black-face and face-paint are part of the outfit. Is that racist? If I want to be Jimmy Hendrix for Halloween, how is that hurting anyone? I should think it's more of a compliment recognizing a black man who was iconic in the music industry, and yes indeed black-face will probably be needed to complete the outfit.

How the hell did this get escalated all the way to, "Does Megan Kelly deserve to be fired for this?" Of course she doesn't. Have we gone completely insane?
You believe words have no power? You are either being disingenuous or obtuse.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:12 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I happen to agree with everything she said....

No one is screaming racist when black people straighten and bleach their hair blond...or lighter their skin

..or when black actors play white people

It's real hard to dress up like Aretha Franklin in white face...you'd end up looking like Bette Midler.....and there's nothing wrong with that
You really have no right to tell others what should be offensive to them and what should not be, it's their choice not yours. Anyone comparing a black person with white hair with a white person in black face is too ignorant on the subject to continue debating with. You don't get it and you never will get it.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:22 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I don't agree.....blacks will never be equal until they can get insulted just like everyone else

...and get over it
So you want to conveniently "forget" the not so ancient history of racism in this country?

Sorry, not gonna happen, no matter how you and your ilk want to claim white men are the "real' victims. when people of color and women are in more seats of power than white men, then we'll revisit that useless meme.

When you can prove to me that white men were lynched for wanting to vote, or beaten to death because they somehow "forgot their place", sold and treated like property in the numbers black people were, subjected to arrest for violating Jim Crow laws, pulled over for "driving while black", have the police called when you enter your own apartment with your own key, then we'll talk to black people about "getting over it" as you so eloquently put it.

Megyn Kelly shot her own career out of the sky, just like Roseanne did. She's no victim.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:43 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
You believe words have no power? You are either being disingenuous or obtuse.
Mere words have exactly the amount of power that people give them. No more. No less. Is it not tragic that in a single word, a white person can unleash a torrent of negative emotions? Why would anyone give any word or category of words that much power?

Haters are gonna hate. Bullies tend to give up when they don't get a reaction. So what's the exact opposite of that?

Old 10-25-2018, 08:50 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,167,658 times
This is strictly business because if her ratings were good, trust me, they would’ve found a way to keep her. She has never been a good fit for a daytime show. Now the idiots at NBC are going to have to pay a a giant severance to get rid of her.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:52 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Mere words have exactly the amount of power that people give them. No more. No less. Is it not tragic that in a single word, a white person can unleash a torrent of negative emotions? Why would anyone give any word or category of words that much power?

Haters are gonna hate. Bullies tend to give up when they don't get a reaction. So what's the exact opposite of that?
I agree with not giving them that power. I'm sure some actual racists love when minorities get upset over everything, they see they still have power over them. Don't give it to them and it will frustrate them.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:54 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
“It’s okay to dress up as a monster but not a racist.” -Liberal Wisdom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies