Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2018, 07:14 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Because the subject matter is: "Shooting at Squirrel Hill Synagogue". I've got the right just as you do to express my opinion whether you or anyone else likes it or not.
That is all well and good, but the Pittsburgh Forum, isn't about your gun/no gun politics, it is about the tragedy that happened here. The gun debate isn't part of something here as this is very up close and personal to us. It isn't about politics, it is about healing for our city. You seem to be all about politics and that isn't really part of this conversation. I feel you should listen to the Rabbi that had to endure the event inside the synagogue and has to live with it for the rest of his life. That is what it is all about. I posted his interview. I highly recommend you watch it and hopefully you will get it. He is about love and tells everyone this isn't political. Enough with divide and hatred. We need to heal in our city.

Here he is again. This is the Rabbi that was heading up the service. Don't you feel his words should be heard above all others at this time? I certainly do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...1eIskNlnmzxbtY

Old 10-30-2018, 09:16 PM
gg

I just think this is nice. I do love how some of Pittsburgh pulls together and get it. The protestors, are missing the point of course, but this is a nice symbol from the Pittsburgh Penguins. Glad they wore these tonight.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:35 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I just think this is nice. I do love how some of Pittsburgh pulls together and get it. The protestors, are missing the point of course, but this is a nice symbol from the Pittsburgh Penguins. Glad they wore these tonight.
Did you watch the "protests"? They were sitting Shiva and singing Hebrew song. Why are you trying to divide the city with your words of who is mourning the correct way?

Old 10-31-2018, 06:45 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Interesting.

Last edited by JoeP; 10-31-2018 at 07:19 AM..

Old 10-31-2018, 07:16 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Did you watch the "protests"?
Did you not listen to the Rabbi Myers welcoming his president? If the head of the synagogue welcomes the visit, maybe the people (I suspect all are not members of that synagogue) that want division are protesting what the head of the synagogue wants.

Clearly, people just aren't listening to Rabbi Myers that heads The Tree of Life, they are more interested in self-serving protests in the time of mourning. Rabbi Myers stated this twice that I posted, but I guess twice isn't enough?

"Hate has no political boundaries". "Hate is in us all", the rabbi states. As I listen to people in our city every day, I concur the rabbi is correct. Our region is full of hate and Rabbi Myers clearly states he got a lot of emails telling him to turn president Trump away, but again Rabbi Myers states, that would just be more hate.

Why don't people listen to this man? I guess I don't understand why his message is ignored.

I don't dislike the protesters since they are doing what they feel is right, but I do feel they are misguided. Hatred isn't working and all it does is divide us. Step out of the echo chambers for a moment. Read what outsiders are writing with anger the same as those protesters they are spewing hate towards our local leaders for not welcoming Trump. The hate is on both sides and I know many on those sides. Some people like myself are caught in the middle listening to all this hatred every day. I guess I wish people could hear this Rabbi's message more clearly, but hatred is just going to go on and on. When will people see it doesn't work?

Old 10-31-2018, 07:20 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Quote:
Clearly, people just aren't listening to Rabbi Myers that heads The Tree of Life, they are more interested in self-serving protests in the time of mourning.
Wow, just wow.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:29 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
"Hate has no political boundaries". "Hate is in us all", the rabbi states. As I listen to people in our city every day, I concur the rabbi is correct. Our region is full of hate and Rabbi Myers clearly states he got a lot of emails telling him to turn president Trump away, but again Rabbi Myers states, that would just be more hate.

Why don't people listen to this man? I guess I don't understand why his message is ignored.

I don't dislike the protesters since they are doing what they feel is right, but I do feel they are misguided. Hatred isn't working and all it does is divide us. Step out of the echo chambers for a moment. Read what outsiders are writing with anger the same as those protesters they are spewing hate towards our local leaders for not welcoming Trump.
It appears that you, in fact, are missing the point of the protests. I don't care if the leader of our country is a Democrat or a Republican; the protests are squarely focused on the point that our President has had a long-standing pattern of tepid responses (or downright non-responses) against acts of violence and hatred. That's wholly unacceptable, regardless of party affiliation and/or political ideology.

You've also completely glossed over the fact that the first instinct of our current President in a situation like this is to say it "could have been prevented by an armed guard," very willingly and immediately injecting a highly politicized issue into a very emotional and traumatizing event. Again, unacceptable.

So, no, politics is far from the base concern of protesters, here (I mean, really, it speaks volumes when even Senator Toomey won't show up to be seen with Trump). The protests are, at their core, a rejection of a complete failure of leadership and the lack of a spine when it comes to rejecting and genuinely denouncing what is clearly rising extremism/hatred in this country.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:20 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

You've also completely glossed over the fact that the first instinct of our current President in a situation like this is to say it "could have been prevented by an armed guard," very willingly and immediately injecting a highly politicized issue into a very emotional and traumatizing event. Again, unacceptable.

You are wrong. I actually saw that impromptu question/answer moment. Trump, who never claimed to be a model diplomat, gave an answer after he was prodded by those present. His answer about an armed guard was not his first instinct. Then, if you were to find that clip and listen to it, he actually backtracked a bit when the reporters were acting aghast at the suggestion.

So he is clumsy with the media, but you make it sound like he is some war monger.

And - armed guards. Why not? Many institutions have them. Shouldn't college campuses be safe, yet each has its own police force (and I believe they are armed).

We prefer NOT having to live that way, but the fact that some people are appalled at the suggestion shows how some just refuse the realities of life. BERNIE 2016!

Old 10-31-2018, 08:23 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
You are wrong. I actually saw that impromptu question/answer moment. Trump, who never claimed to be a model diplomat, gave an answer after he was prodded by those present. His answer about an armed guard was not his first instinct. Then, if you were to find that clip and listen to it, he actually backtracked a bit when the reporters were acting aghast at the suggestion.

So he is clumsy with the media, but you make it sound like he is some war monger.

And - armed guards. Why not? Many institutions have them. Shouldn't college campuses be safe, yet each has its own police force (and I believe they are armed).

We prefer NOT having to live that way, but the fact that some people are appalled at the suggestion shows how some just refuse the realities of life. BERNIE 2016!
Many appalled at the timing of the suggestion.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:27 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

I'm not going to get into the legitimacy of an armed guard, although I will say it would represent a new low in our society.

Regardless of whether Trump backtracked or not, or whether it was literally the first thing out of his mouth, that fact of the matter is that statement was said within hours of the event. That fact stands.

You don't have to be a "model diplomat" to unequivocally denounce hatred and extremism. Please don't mischaracterize what I'm arguing as a critique of his oratory skills; it goes far beyond that. It's a direct reflection of one's personal character and leadership skills (or in this case, a lack thereof).

And quite frankly, it's exhausting hearing folks make excuses about our current President's lack of ability to make anything resembling an empathetic statement.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-31-2018 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies