Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:29 AM

755 posts, read 471,644 times

Advertisements

This is a sobering map and website:

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

It would appear that Pittsburgh suffers from about the same number of mass shootings (4+ victims) as, say, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cleveland, etc., according to the data points presented on the maps. Perhaps someone else can dig in to the data deeper to confirm.

It would appear that the incidents are distributed in proportion to the distribution of population across the country. The exceptions appear to be in the southeast (higher) and the northwest (lower) than what I would expect.

Trump is not responsible for this, but when his kneejerk reaction is that the congregation of worshipers should have been armed or in the presence of armed guards, we are heading in the wrong direction to prevent future massacres. A person with a gun who wishes to do violence is more dangerous than a person without a gun. And a person with 3 Glocks (disgustingly, Bowers called them "his family" on a social media post) and an AR-15 is more dangerous than a person with a shotgun and a pistol. There are limits on almost ALL of our constitutional rights. Why should weapons be an exception? There is no purpose to an AR-15 outside of cold-blooded, indifferent slaughter.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:32 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
This is a sobering map and website:

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

It would appear that Pittsburgh suffers from about the same number of mass shootings (4+ victims) as, say, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cleveland, etc., according to the data points presented on the maps. Perhaps someone else can dig in to the data deeper to confirm.

It would appear that the incidents are distributed in proportion to the distribution of population across the country. The exceptions appear to be in the southeast (higher) and the northwest (lower) than what I would expect.

Trump is not responsible for this, but when his kneejerk reaction is that the congregation of worshipers should have been armed or in the presence of armed guards, we are heading in the wrong direction to prevent future massacres. A person with a gun who wishes to do violence is more dangerous than a person without a gun. And a person with 3 Glocks (disgustingly, Bowers called them "his family" on a social media post) and an AR-15 is more dangerous than a person with a shotgun and a pistol. There are limits on almost ALL of our constitutional rights. Why should weapons be an exception? There is no purpose to an AR-15 outside of cold-blooded, indifferent slaughter.
It's a mistake to think any one thing or person is responsible for this. I haven't heard the media portray it as that simple though.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:33 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
This is just blocks from my home. Some of the victims were my neighbors. I didn't know them well but I recognise some of the faces and am saddened that they are no longer part of the fabric of what has been a peaceful and friendly neighborhood.

I was out of town at the time it happened and only knew because friends started sending messegas asking if I was okay. Spent the last couple of days a little nnumb and wondering what was happening at home.

The event I was attending held a moment of silent reflection on this awful event and wishing for people in the world to find some way to end such hateful behavior.

I only hope that this can teach people something that can lead people to find better ways to deal with the hatred of others and even to find a way to turn their own hatred into acceptance and at least tolorence. Nothing good can ever come from acting out in hatred and anger.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:51 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,495 times
Quote:
Trump is not responsible for this, but when his kneejerk reaction is that the congregation of worshipers should have been armed or in the presence of armed guards, we are heading in the wrong direction to prevent future massacres.
Maybe, maybe not. I honestly do not know.

Trump was not making a knee jerk reaction, as he was obviously referring to the type security that other synagogues and churches (and probably some mosques, too) have had for some time, already.

Hate and violence directed against Jews is not something new that has only arisen since Trump became POTUS. Not being snarky. Just emphasizing this fact.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
It's a mistake to think any one thing or person is responsible for this. I haven't heard the media portray it as that simple though.
I agree. I was just really upset by the suggestion of arming our communities of faith. The irony, or is it absurdity, of that line of thinking is more than I can handle right now.

Of course, thinking in a more historical perspective, there are few religions that have not been subjected to hatred and violence around the world by the darkest corners of our humanity.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:28 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,706,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Wow, you truly never miss an opportunity to slam an area you don't like, huh? I'm not going to address your post other than to say that it's a pathetic attempt to blame an area for something it cannot control.

This guy wasn't from the East End he was a right wing nutjob from outside the city who entered our community and murdered our people.

Well said. You are far more restrained than I. Thanks!

Old 10-29-2018, 11:00 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
I agree. I was just really upset by the suggestion of arming our communities of faith. The irony, or is it absurdity, of that line of thinking is more than I can handle right now.

Of course, thinking in a more historical perspective, there are few religions that have not been subjected to hatred and violence around the world by the darkest corners of our humanity.

At one time, the thought of metal detection devices in schools would have upset people. Well, that has been a reality for some time now. And now there is common discussion about arming teachers.

I see nothing preposterous or alarmist of having the same level of security in houses of worship, if those institutions wished to provide that.

To think, in another galaxy far, far away, chewing gum in class and passing notes would have brought a father's wrath upon some kid...

Old 10-29-2018, 11:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
At one time, the thought of metal detection devices in schools would have upset people. Well, that has been a reality for some time now. And now there is common discussion about arming teachers.

I see nothing preposterous or alarmist of having the same level of security in houses of worship, if those institutions wished to provide that.

To think, in another galaxy far, far away, chewing gum in class and passing notes would have brought a father's wrath upon some kid...
Metal detectors are not the norm in schools.
https://www.campussafetymagazine.com...rs-in-schools/
https://www-washingtonpost-com.cdn.a...721_story.html
Plus much more

The idea of armed guards at worship is something I can't wrap my head around.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:31 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
97-year-old woman.

Octogenarian opposite-sex married couple.

Mentally-challenged middle-aged brothers.

Renowned physician.

In addition, as an "insider" I can say that the wounded 27-year-old police officer will most likely never be able to serve as a police officer again. My colleague, who knew him well, said that it was his dream for years to be a police officer.

Absolutely devastating.

Please consider donating to a "GoFundMe" page established for Tree of Life and/or some of the victims. This hits so close to home.

Crazy to think from now on the nation will think "Columbine, Parkland, Virginia Tech, Pulse, Sandy Hook, Squirrel Hill, etc." What a sad result for what is arguably one of the best neighborhoods in Pittsburgh.

P.S. These tragedies CAN and DO happen everywhere. The majority of the more high-profile cases in recent years have actually happened in affluent suburbs (and, in this case, an affluent city neighborhood). Something like this could happen tomorrow at the Cinemark in McCandless Township; next Thursday at a Target in Topeka, KS; or three Fridays from now at a Little League game in Albuquerque, NM.

I really don't know what the solution is. We can't "ban guns". My theory is that anyone who wants to possess a firearm---ESPECIALLY a high-powered firearm---should have to agree to MANDATORY ANNUAL PSYCHOLOGICAL TESTING administered by physicians and regulated by the government. Who would pay for this? No idea.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 10-29-2018 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: SNOPES just proved that the "Holocaust Survivor" claim was false and inaccurately reported by mainstream media outlets.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

Me neither. It is not preposterous or alarmist to provide adequate security to anyone anywhere. I guess my original point was how jarring it was to me to hear that suggestion as a first response to a terrible attack.

Mitigation, on all fronts, needs to occur. But that doesn't get an inch closer to prevention. Leaders need to engage the public in rational discussions about root causes of violence. This is a public health problem. There has been a lot of study about violence as a disease. I had a discussion with someone in Columbus recently, who told me about a partnership between one of the local health care systems and the county public health department that was having a positive impact on reducing violence in the community.

The person who did this is a bad actor. And perhaps no amount of intervention would have prevented it. But let's not pretend that he dropped down out of the sky one day and decided to do this. This crime was a product of his thoughts, his beliefs and his experiences all of which were shaped, even enabled, by our culture. As horrible as it sounds, he is one of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies