Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 05:21 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You go to the right places in this Country and kindness/good deeds are the norm not the exception. I.E. the guy that helped my daughter change a flat last week. Or neighbors helping a sick neighbor finish his harvest... Part and parcel if you live in the right parts of the country.....
Nice thought but that guy may well have been one of the ones shouting string her up. There is a HUGE disconnect between peoples' personal values and political ones.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:26 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
It's a very lovely idea - perhaps you could get the younger Bushes to speak up to revive Bush Sr.'s hope of a "kinder, gentler nation."

But I fear that's not realistic. The Democratic Party ideally hopes to help people in need. They support all kinds of financial and legal programs for that, such as Obamacare. But you have to keep in mind that the Republicans, on the other hand, were the group that roared approval - I think it was at a McCain rally - at the idea of simply letting people who couldn't afford medical care to die, as if they were animals in the wild. The Republicans are the ones shrieking "String her up!" about Hillary, proposing an extrajudicial killing.

In other words, although of course there are exceptions, I think you're facing a totally oppositional mindset.
Thanks for the coherent and calm appraisal of the situation. This is the hard reality. It is interesting in an academic way, to understand how we got here. Lots of reasons, one big one is the passing of the Greatest Generation who remembered in a very personal way the lessons of WWII.

I don't see a way forward that does not involve a lot of suffering. Seems we need to inflict this upon ourselves on a recurring basis, we will never learn.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:31 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
I think lack of morality is the issue. Amoral people do not care that others are also amoral. As long as I can cut your throat before you can cut mine, its OK.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:48 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
There are always those who believe that a small act, such as giving their cast off clothing to the housekeeper that they underpay, makes them a kind person.

Every villain is hero in his own eyes.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:11 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

The extremists are not the majority. The evil are not the majority. The hateful are not the majority. The liars are not the majority. You wouldn't know that to watch the news, but they aren't. And yet we focus on them as if they are.

This is so true. We see the bad because that is what they want us to see and focus on. There really is more good going on around us then we think. I agree with what you said about walking more to see more and really get the true experience of meeting and helping other people.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:33 AM

1,087 posts, read 782,498 times
Doesn’t have to be kindness, less hate crimes would bring a country together. Right wing political goal is to divide through hate. It’s not about freedom of association at all, rural America such as Virginia coal mine area have no minorities, no diversity, people who hate can always move to a place like that.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:58 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There are always those who believe that a small act, such as giving their cast off clothing to the housekeeper that they underpay, makes them a kind person.

Every villain is hero in his own eyes.
I suppose this is true. However, I submit that there is a difference between helping others for the sake of helping, and what you are talking about in this post. Not to mention that weather or not this "housekeeper" is underpaid is subjective, and basically dependent on one's point of view. If I hire a housekeeper and promise to pay what I feel is a decent wage, and the person I've hired accepts that wage, while also feeling it's less than they deserve, does that automatically make me a villain or a bad person? And besides, this thread wasn't about doing good things so you can brag about them and look/feel like a "hero". In my OP, I didn't once relate a "heroic" act I had performed. I simply spoke of simple kindnesses that I had offered, and the result of those actions. I would never say I myself was a hero, but I will say I helped others, and it felt pretty good.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:58 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
It's a very lovely idea - perhaps you could get the younger Bushes to speak up to revive Bush Sr.'s hope of a "kinder, gentler nation."

But I fear that's not realistic. The Democratic Party ideally hopes to help people in need. They support all kinds of financial and legal programs for that, such as Obamacare. But you have to keep in mind that the Republicans, on the other hand, were the group that roared approval - I think it was at a McCain rally - at the idea of simply letting people who couldn't afford medical care to die, as if they were animals in the wild. The Republicans are the ones shrieking "String her up!" about Hillary, proposing an extrajudicial killing.

In other words, although of course there are exceptions, I think you're facing a totally oppositional mindset.
I used to think Democrats were about 'helping people' when I was young and stupid. I think many average garden variety Democrats might actually think that they want to help people. But the people in power aren't about helping anyone but themselves.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:31 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
see. It post like this and a few others here that make me ask how people vote before I pull them out of a burning house.....Used to just rush in but not anymore.....
Kindness and good deeds have nothing to do w/ the job you do or are sworn to do--paid or unpaid. I have a job and could care less what people's politics are--they are all treated the same by myself. I do my job period.

This thread is about "kindness" and "good deeds." Am I gonna go out of my way to give Trump kindness? NO. If someone is spouting bigotry, misogyny, hatred and xenophobia, why would I be kind to them? As far as Trump supporters, I do not believe they are all like that. Some are just Republicans and vote their party line, but for the one's who are bigoted, misogynists, hate mongrels and xenophobes I do not consider my time well spent being kind to them. I ignore and detach from them.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:03 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I used to think Democrats were about 'helping people' when I was young and stupid. I think many average garden variety Democrats might actually think that they want to help people. But the people in power aren't about helping anyone but themselves.

Well said! The Deep State's "party of choice" is for the most part, the Democratic party. They'll continue to promote their own agenda for things such as 1) gun control and 2) open borders because these dovetail into their ultimate end game being NWO in which there is one gov't run by (no surprise) them!

Wouldn't it be cool if the Dems took Trump's lead and pushed for the end of globalism and piggy back off this and create their own version of MAGA? This is the new trend of world politics evidenced by the global puppets going down in flames (see Angela Merkel of late). The key to a successful platform these days is to continue the anti globalist agenda and form your own political views thereinafter.

Fastest way to lose votes is to perpetuate the globalist think path. Too many people waking up and discovering that the wizard behind the curtain is evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies