Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 05:00 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times

Advertisements

Oh look, another Republicans are ignorant thread. OP various regions, states and communities are all different. My neighborhood is very affluent, it's also solid Republican.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:03 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,153 times
Upper-income neighborhoods around here (by around here, I'm including Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest, etc. Not just the small town I live in) tend to be mixed. Some areas have more democrat signage (Durham, Chapel Hill), and some have more republican signage (parts of Raleigh, Fuquay-Varina).

Trailer parks and low-income areas tend to not have much signage, but the little bit of signage I do see also depends upon the area. For instance, in predominately white low-income areas, you will see a few republican signs, but most places you won't see any. In low-income black and Hispanic areas, you'll see a few democrat signs, but again, the majority of homes and businesses won't have any signage displayed.

When it comes to vehicles, it's the other way around. Usually, the vehicles I see displaying political bumper stickers are older, and many times not in very good condition. Newer vehicles and even older ones in good condition tend to not display political stickers.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:13 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
In my own personal sphere I have a mixed group of friends and family that defy logic.. LOL

I know poor people that depend on the Gov. for a monthly welfare check and they don't want to do anything to rock that gravy boat like voting for a Republican that might make them stand on their own 2 feet.

I know educated well off people that are so Liberal that they thought they were going to have to go to the emergency room on election night because they felt so sick that Trump was winning.

I also know many people in between that have had moderate success with their own businesses and they are staunchly American and vote Republican.

It is hard to figure out why someone develops a connection with or strong feelings towards one political group or another but I can say this that the Dems I know are angry and moved to acts of protest. I don't have that type of "passion" but wow mention Trump and those are fighting words to the point I fear they may be brainwashed.

Politics is certainly an interesting topic to talk about. It is always interesting to analyze someones reasoning and what had brought them to a conclusion.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:22 PM

1,279 posts, read 851,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What plays into this, is that most people don't have yard signs. When you factor in the behavior of putting up a yard sign, you get an unusual demographic of people.

IMHO.

In upper middle class neighborhoods around my town, republican yard signs are very much in the minority; but the actual voting in those neighborhoods, by precinct, is republican.

*shrugs*
This.

Look at actual voting statistics, not hard signs, and the affluent have generally been more Republican. Donald Trump has driven some of the affluent away from the GOP, though.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:48 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
DecisionDeskHQ.com used to display precinct-level election data for the presidential elections in 2008, 2012, and 2016. What you saw is that the vast majority of wealthy precincts in the United States favored Mitt Romney in 2012, overwhelmingly. Even in 'liberal' bastions like the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Boston, Mitt Romney did very well.

Romney easily carried most of the precincts in places like Atherton and Hillsborough (SF), Beverly Hills and San Marino (LA), Medina (Seattle), and Dover (Boston). In 2008, Republicans lost a lot of ground from 2000 and 2004 in these areas. However, in 2012, they had recovered all of those losses.

In 2016, Republican performance deteriorated substantially in those areas with 'weak' Republican voters, those voters who live in suburban San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston, New York, Philly, Chicago, DC, etc. However, they also held onto many of those places that many had thought they would lose. In my area, suburban Chicago, Mitt Romney won every precinct in Winnetka, Northfield, and Kenilworth. However, in 2016, Clinton won all of those same precincts. That being said, neighboring communities like Lake Forest, Barrington Hills, and Hinsdale delivered their votes for Donald Trump. From 2012 to 2016, the Republican presidential ticket did not lose a significant amount of ground in southern metropolises like Dallas and Atlanta.

I have a feeling that many people will be surprised when married college-educated white women end up delivering fewer votes for them than they had expected. I think that a lot of these congressional seats held by Representatives Walters, Roskam, Sessions, Handel, etc. will stay true to form and return their incumbent Republican representatives. I do not think that there is this mass of angry educated, affluent female voters out to punish Republicans. Sophisticated voters can distinguish between their local Republican representatives and Donald Trump. Many of these voters also like a lot of what they see being accomplished legislatively.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:55 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Your analysis is WAY off. Make no mistake, the truly wealthy in this country is a very Republican bunch. The less affluent are largely Democratic. However, the Republican Party has made substantial inroads with working-class white voters over the past few decades. The Democratic Party has made significant inroads with the upper-middle class, but the wealthiest remain pretty overwhelmingly Republican (even if they despise Trump).
The super rich of California are not Republican - - and the super rich of California are richer than the super rich of the 49 other states.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:10 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,842,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I think voters fall mostly into two categories: well-informed or poorly informed. Sadly, the poorer people are often the less educated and the less informed. They fall prey to misleading claims (or sometimes outright lies, such as Republicans claiming they support healthcare covering pre-existing conditions) as the Republicans intend they should. Republicans hope for an ignorant electorate.

There's also a second division, I suspect: more greedy and less greedy. You can see, even here in this forum, people supporting Trump mainly because they hope to be enriching themselves. Then there are others who put a high premium on issues that reflect a broader concern for the general welfare of the country, people for whom education and civil rights are important.

I think that what you're seeing may be an anomaly. The GOP is traditionally the party of the rich. But you may also be seeing a wealthy group of educated people who have a better grasp of issues. It would be interesting if you looked up the demographics of the percentage of college-educated people in the two areas.

Nice assumption. I am very highly educated. I read a LOT. I'll read anything if I believe it will educate me. I'm fascinated by quantum physics, and the origins of our universe. I am fascinated by many things. That you would write me off as poorly educated and misinformed simply because I'm financially poor (I'm disabled. I can't work.) is so offensive to me I can't put it into words. Condescending, supercilious (There's a new word for you. You're welcome.) a-holes irritate me in the extreme. I'd compare brain pans with those like you any day of the week and twice on Sunday, but it would be a complete waste of my time. I was comprehending what I read at the college level in the third grade. I design and build my own operating systems for fun. Don't look down your nose at me. Do not make assumptions of the intelligence of others based on financial situation.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:16 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,842,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Because the poor all think one day they'll be affluent.

Nah. I know barring a very lucky lottery draw, I'll always be poor financially. But I'm ok with that. Money isn't important to me. But thanks for telling me what I think. Bless your heart. And I mean that with all of the Southern charm this Yankee can come up with.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:22 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
The super rich of California are not Republican - - and the super rich of California are richer than the super rich of the 49 other states.
Not true at all. I'm not sure what you mean by 'super rich,' but if you are talking about California's billionaires, there are a ton of major Republican donors. Larry Ellison, Donald Bren, Charles Schwab, Ruper Johnson, Tamara Gustavson, Archie Aldis Emmerson, Rick Caruso, Anthony Pritzker, the Bechtels, Thomas Siebel, Peter Thiel, Alexander Spanos, Charles Munger, and others are particularly partisan Republican. There are many more who have given generously to Republican candidates while also supporting Democrats on occasion, people like Meg Whitman (herself a Republican nominee for governor in 2010) and Marc Andreessen. My grandfather was a major Republican fundraiser (Bush Super Ranger, finance co-chair of numerous presidential campaigns, and more) in Southern California. I know of what I speak. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Also, it's kind of unbelievable to me that someone who claims to live in San Diego could claim that the 'super rich' of California 'are not Republican.' You live in one of the most politically conservative places in coastal California. Rancho Santa Fe and Coronado are some of the most politically conservative and wealthy enclaves in the nation.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:34 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,591 times
Wow, this thread. Did you ever stop to think that maybe, rich or poor-rep or dem, some people just don't like the idea of stealing from others to get by in life? I work hard for me, I don't want your handouts, but at the same time don't steal my money because you think someone else deserves it more than me, the one who worked for it.

Please leave your stupid assumptions of people's voting habits at the door. This thread is part of the reason why Americans are so f-ing divided these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies