Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 06:04 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Any rational person would think so!
Any rational person could google for 5 seconds and all the hits on people opposed to Halloween are far right evangelicals.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:38 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Stupidity by a minority who shouldn't be working in schools or teaching children.

Halloween is the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day.

It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed.

It is widely believed that many Halloween traditions originated from ancient Celtic harvest festivals, particularly the Gaelic festival Samhain.

The Hindhu's can celebrate Diwali on the 7th November, which is there Festival of Light, and I would be more than happy to enjoy their fireworls and celebrations, whilst in Britain we celebrate Guy Fawkers on the 5th November, by burning effigies of Guy Fawkes on bonfires and putting on firework displays. Fawwkes and his conspirators tried to blow up the English Parliament in 1605, in what became known as the Gun Powder plot.

Americans and Canadians also have Thanksgiving, which ois basically harvest festival, a good holiday thoiugh, lots of nice food and you gather round with family.

There is nothing wrong with people celebrating or enjoying themselves, and schools need to concentrate on actual proper education rather than dictating nonsense or become arbiters of what we can and can't celebrate.
How are schools becoming arbiters of what can or cannot be celebrated after the school day lets out? Why exactly does Halloween belong in a "proper" (as you put it) school curriculum? In my neighborhood, Halloween is HUGE, but it happens in the evening after school.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:44 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Our grandkid’s public elementary school did not have a Halloween dress up day, instead they had a story time day, which was this past Friday. The kids brought a book to school and dressed up as a character from that book. The emphasis was on reading and having fun with it, not surprising for a school.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-28-2018 at 08:18 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 07:52 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Halloween was so wonderful when I was a kid. free candy, lots of friends, a night out in the surrounding neighborhoods after dark! It may still be wonderful in some neighborhoods, but not mine. the majority of people in my neighborhood turn out the lights and don't participate with giving kids candy, including us. there are zero yard decorations for Halloween. sad.
Austin. The further you get from liberal concentrations the better it gets. Here the schools still do things for Halloween, all the businesses in the small towns to trick-or-treating, most houses have some kind of decorations up.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:52 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
How are schools becoming arbiters of what can or cannot be celebrated after the school day lets out? Why exactly does Halloween belong in a "proper" (as you put it) school curriculum? In my neighborhood, Halloween is HUGE, but it happens in the evening after school.
Banning something from a school is very different from engaing with youngsters and using such occasions to actively encourage youngsters in areas such as art work, organised events and other creative outlets.

Some towns in the US have now also put bans in place in relation to trick or treating and it poses the question as to where do you draw the line in relation to your own customs and traditions as opposed to those who might feel offended or feel such basic fun should be banned for religious reasons as it offends their fundamentalist beliefs. Banning things because it offends others or on religious grounds is a slippery slope, and I don't believe authorities should be arbiters when it comes to banning or discouraging such cultural traditions.

Why banning 13-year-olds from trick-or-treating on Halloween is ridiculous - USA Today

Towns across the US make it illegal for teenagers to trick-or-treat - Quartz

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-28-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 07:58 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
If Christians don’t want to celebrate Halloween , they don’t have to. Just like anyone else can decide not to partake in any type of celebration that offends them. Banning kids of a certain age from trick or treating, taking Halloween out of schools, telling people to say happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas...it’s ridiculous. People need to stop be offended over every single thing. It’s not the end of the world. Move on.

We had a family in my daughters school who did not partake in any celebrations, but instead of maki g it so others could t enjoy it, they either did t send their child to school that day or had them go to the library to read or do another activity.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:10 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tBX3zqTOqE

Seriously!? By that logic nothing should be celebrated.
This has been going on for years and years and years.

Some of the Christian schools in Georgia tell the kids Halloween is the work of the devil.

We moved to a new neighborhood in 2003. As I decorated my house for Halloween, the little boy across the street came over to say Halloween is for devil worshipers...he was 5 years old.

Eventually his parents caved and allowed the kids to celebrate Halloween a few years later....but were still not allowed to celebrate at school.

Last edited by moneill; 10-28-2018 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 08:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I feel sorry for all you folks who don't want kids to have a little fun in their lives. I attended public school - my kids both catholic and private. Halloween parties were thrown in school each and every year in all the schools. Fun time for the kids and an even better time for the adults who could dress up and join the kids in a little fun. TG schools around here still allow the kids to dress up and have parties. Kids grow up way too fast - let them enjoy their childhood - I'm sorry you all missed out on it - may explain some attitudes here.
14,000 +/- school districts in the US are free to include/ exclude Halloween. That the public and private schools I attended in the 60’s- 70’s did not, does not mean all schools did not, no more than your school engaging means all schools did.

Nothing prevents private celebrations or Trick or Treating in most communities.

The US people are expected to spend $9 Billion on costumes, decorations and candy, this year. Does not sound like Halloween is in any danger of becoming obsolete.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:36 AM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
"We'll exclude Halloween in order to be more inclusive" - leftist logic
Or how they demand rights be taken away in the name of a free democracy.

`

Old 10-28-2018, 08:39 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
"We'll exclude Halloween in order to be more inclusive" - leftist logic
But at the very Christian schools it isn't a leftist policy......it's just a policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies