Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2018, 09:56 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How come the "dark web" doesn't get shut down?
How would that happen? Serious question here.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:02 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Twitter needs to be deplatformed and have their domain sold.
You don't even get the irony, do you?

Old 10-30-2018, 11:46 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
How would that happen? Serious question here.
The US Government would decide. Trump would sign an EO and it would be done. Same with most of the internet as a whole.

It can easily be controlled at the national level as it is in China, Russia and many other places.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The US Government would decide. Trump would sign an EO and it would be done. Same with most of the internet as a whole.

It can easily be controlled at the national level as it is in China, Russia and many other places.
I doubt it. Unlike China or Russia, we have the First Amendment, though it doesn't cover hate speech or the fire in a crowded theater thing. Which clearly would eliminate a lot of this garbage and venues for those who spew it right off the bat, and that's fine with me.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:56 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
What do you assume that people on Gab are exactly? Maybe we should start there.

You see, back in the Middle Ages, there were rumors about Jews doing some blood sacrifice of their children, hoarding gold and secretly trying to poison or otherwise kill all non-Jews. None of this was true of course, but people were absolutely certain it was 100% true for centuries. Slander is an incredibly effective tool. People tend to believe rumors when that's all that they've heard.

So what preconceived notions do you have about Gab.ai?
Let's see.....

I've been online since Compuserve in 1986 and in communities online since....even earlier in some cases (even Ham radio networks).

I've run large web forums for decades with millions of page views and visitors. Seen and read 10's of thousands of posts.

I know exactly what Gab is. In fact, I know it without even looking at it.

You kid yourself if you think Humans are very different from each other. I have heard the exact same words and attitudes out of Ron Paul supporters a decade or more ago that I heard from a few on my forums and that I then saw on Reason, Breitbart and other places. Many are actually the exact same people!

In fact, I ran a large community once where a "mutiny of conservatives" occurred and a similar thing as Facebook/Gab occurred. This was, very tellingly, on a site that had nothing to do with politics or free speech of any kind. As most people know, there are just a bunch of deplorables (real ones!) who act out online. Probably only a small percentage of them act the same way in real life.

Perhaps the most interesting part is that once the "alternative" site to mine was set up...within one month they had to institute all kids of rules and regulations (more than my site had!)....just what they were "against".

Also, again tellingly, when all these deplorables and troublemakers started their own site they acted like human beings there! In other words, they felt the "freedom" to act like animals on my forums, but not on their own.

I think that says it all about the likes of Gab. But, hey, I fully support whatever they do if it is legal and if both parties (they and the hosts they hire) agree on a contract.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:28 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Let's see.....

I've been online since Compuserve in 1986 and in communities online since....even earlier in some cases (even Ham radio networks).

I've run large web forums for decades with millions of page views and visitors. Seen and read 10's of thousands of posts.

You kid yourself if you think Humans are very different from each other. I have heard the exact same words and attitudes out of Ron Paul supporters a decade or more ago that I heard from a few on my forums and that I then saw on Reason, Breitbart and other places. Many are actually the exact same people!

In fact, I ran a large community once where a "mutiny of conservatives" occurred and a similar thing as Facebook/Gab occurred. This was, very tellingly, on a site that had nothing to do with politics or free speech of any kind. As most people know, there are just a bunch of deplorables (real ones!) who act out online. Probably only a small percentage of them act the same way in real life.

Perhaps the most interesting part is that once the "alternative" site to mine was set up...within one month they had to institute all kids of rules and regulations (more than my site had!)....just what they were "against".

Also, again tellingly, when all these deplorables and troublemakers started their own site they acted like human beings there! In other words, they felt the "freedom" to act like animals on my forums, but not on their own.

I think that says it all about the likes of Gab. But, hey, I fully support whatever they do if it is legal and if both parties (they and the hosts they hire) agree on a contract.
That's a lot of words there, but you didn't actually say what you suppose Gab.ai is. I know what it is. I'm on it. I've interacted people on Gab. I can tell you a great deal about it. But what do you think it is? The megacorporate news media has tried to tell a lot of people it's a giant box of racists, Nazis and white nationalists. Do you believe that characterization? The megacorporate news media has essentially approved all-out war on Gab.ai for the actions of one user. Nothing has happened on Gab that isn't currently happening on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook, but somehow Gab.ai has a different set of rules being applied to them. Facebook and YouTube have had gang rape and murder live-streamed on them and radicalization is happening right this moment on all the big platforms. But for some reason, they are exempt from consequence and Gab is not. Do you agree with that?

Old 10-30-2018, 03:40 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times
Quote:
Let's see.....

Compuserve never had a reputable user base... it was described as all the lights are on and no one is home. QuantumLink was much better and actually had users... ahh the 8bit dialup days and Tymnet.

Quote:
You have clearly demonstrated that you dont.

To whoever suggested banning the dark web, sounds like you dont know how things actually work online.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:54 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Requiring people to reregister with their real name and an email address held by their IP would not restrict the first amendment and would put an end to 90% of radical speech on the internet.

You're missing the point.

Any number of radicals and nuts who went on to kill people, posted their tirades on...Facebook. And no threat ensues to threaten to shut down THAT platform.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:56 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
I read that FB earnings are way down even without competition from Gab.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:42 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I read that FB earnings are way down even without competition from Gab.
Gab.ai was and is a rising star, but certainly no competitor for Facebook. Gab surpassed a million users recently. Facebook has about one billion users. Twitter has about 300 million active users. Gab is still a small player in the overall scheme of things. Gab isn't a threat to them ... yet.

Of course all this free advertisement won't hurt matters much.

Point is, Facebook's problems haven't got much to do with Gab.ai and a lot to do with the bad decisions that Facebook has made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies