Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2018, 04:15 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times

Advertisements

You guys still have 4chan. Post the bat **** stuff over there.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Just watched some interviews - Andrews doesn't say anyone took his site down. He claimed to be rebuilding the whole framework from scratch, which really means the old content will likely be gone! Smart move.......

He and many other entities have perfect backups of the old site and he could put them online in no time - but he won't. He also claims in the interviews that free speech is NOT being able to say anything and everything. So he doesn't REALLY believe in Free Speech. Oh, and he made a pile of money letting deplorables swim in their own behavior.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:19 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
OMG.....so you are saying someone else owns the names but lets him post the letter there? Or that the internet directory is wrong?

All he did was move one registar to the Caymans. The other one seems to have stayed where it is/was.

We are obviously talking right past each other. Let's try Q and A....

T or F

1. Both Gab.com and Gab.ai display a message from the Gab.com owner and admin. True or false? FALSE. Apparently, gab.com is what Andrew Torba incorporated under as a business name, but as you pointed out before, that domain name was snagged out from under him. The site address has been gab.ai for a long time now. Gab.com on the other hand is not a valid web address.

2. If someone bought or disposed of the name(s), they would not allow the former owner to have a page up at the domain. True or False? They wouldn't allow him to have gab.com back if they don't want him to. So Andrew did what anyone could have done. He registered an alternate we address. ".ai" instead on ".com". And if somebody steals .ai then he'll just do another one.

3. Andrew is shown as the contact for gab.ai as of Nov. 2, 2018. True or False: True. I can tell you for certain he's the guy who founded and effectively owns the online social network known as Gab. If the guy isn't posting his address online, I can hardly blame him, but I know who he is and I know he's your guy.
Admin Name: Torba, Andrew
Admin Organization: Gab AI Inc
Admin Postal Code: unknown
Admin Country: US
Tech Name: support@gab.ai
Tech Organization: Gab AI Inc
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2018-11-02T22:00:09.793Z <<<

4. Gab.com, which also displays the exact same content as Gab.ai, was recently transferred to a new address in the Cayman Island but appears controlled by Andrew (due to his message on the front page). True or False. I'm guessing False since popping gab.com into the address bar goes nowhere. You're saying that was grabbed out from under him and I'll take your word for it.

Obviously the PROGRAM that runs the full community site is not active....that's Andrews call. I suspect he is quickly erasing data and then will put it back up minus a LOT of "free speech"...and he'll probably claim the Deep State made him lose that data.... Huh? That isn't making sense. His hosting provider dumped him. He's looking for another one. What in the world has that got to do with "erasing data and putting it back up minus a lot of free speech"??? I am not making any claims about the deep state. This was not a government organized takedown. It was a megacorporate "crush the competition before they matter" takedown as we've discussed. I never said anything about it being a deep state conspiracy.
Okay I think I'm caught up. We'll see what happens when I hit Submit.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
This sounds a whole lot like what Infowars did...had messages proclaiming they had been taken down, but still somehow had it up there, including a store. If it was actually gone, you would have seen a generic error message and no actual site.
It may have been a backup server if an attack did happen, sure, but they were misleading as to what was really happening.
Of course! But obviously people are buying the BS.

It's only "down" because he is starting from scratch on the programming and probably wants to do away with everything that was on there before. But he can pull heartstrings (.or bitcoin transfers) by acting like the victim.

Maybe Rebecca will send him millions? I'm all for it.

I think the main point here is that this is yet another inaccurate (false) thread OP. Gab is under the control of the original owner. Whether it is up or not is up to him.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:24 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Okay I think I'm caught up. We'll see what happens when I hit Submit.
I just went to gab.com. It shows a message from Andrew. Unless the people who took the domain theoretically are very oddly altruistic, you would not see a message of any kind on that page from Andrew. He still owns it in some form.

Eta: I remember I ended up on a specific profile there once, so it's not the first time. But I have never been to homepage itself to have a cache version or something. And I do have a site with his message pop up.

Last edited by latimeria; 11-02-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 04:26 PM

In multiple browsers I use, both gab.ai and gab.com resolve to the same working front page.

TRUE - some hosting provider dumped him.
TRUE ALSO - it takes less than an hour (I'm being generous) to open an account at another hosting provider.

TRUE - Andrews has backups AND the original site (a hosting provider can't "steal" that) and can put it all back up whenever he wants (to be fair, a couple days since it is a large site).....

GUESS: He is not going to put back the old content.
FACT: According to him, he is rebuilding the entire framework of the site from the ground up. Rewriting it.
(for what reason(s) we can only guess).....

Well, I think we have most of the items cleared now. The only part that doesn't make sense is that some here claim the domains don't work for them. That may be due to their DNS providers. I always use googles on my computer (8.8.8.8) and it resolves both Domains to the message from Andrew.

Goodnight and good luck.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Just watched some interviews - Andrews doesn't say anyone took his site down. He claimed to be rebuilding the whole framework from scratch, which really means the old content will likely be gone! Smart move.......

He and many other entities have perfect backups of the old site and he could put them online in no time - but he won't. He also claims in the interviews that free speech is NOT being able to say anything and everything. So he doesn't REALLY believe in Free Speech. Oh, and he made a pile of money letting deplorables swim in their own behavior.
What is the limit of free speech? This is well established. I can't threaten to kill you while brandishing a gun or a knife. I can't yell "FIRE!!" in a crowded theater. These are cases where federal case law has established the limits of free speech. I think that's roughly where Torba's limits are, but I can't read the guy's mind.

We'll see how it all plays out. The Overlords of Silicon Valley want him to kiss the ring and their posterior, then proceed to censor wrong-think as they define it. That certainly won't happen, even if it might be in his best interests in the short run. Torba's whole shtick is free speech. It's his stated reason for creating Gab to begin with.

What does Andrew Torba actually believe in? Ask CNN. They seem to be able to read Donald Trump's mind, and that guy confuses the hell out of me. Reading Andrew Torba's mind should be easy by comparison.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
I just went to gab.com for the first time ever. It shows a message from Andrew. Unless the people who took the domain theoretically are very oddly altruistic, you would not see a message of any kind on that page from Andrew. He still owns it in some form.
LOL, I tried it before and it didn't work, so I thought it was a broken web address. Interesting.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:31 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:

But not as much money as the owner(s) of Twatter, which still allows copious amounts of "racism," and Islamo-fascism.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
In multiple browsers I use, both gab.ai and gab.com resolve to the same working front page.

TRUE - some hosting provider dumped him.
TRUE ALSO - it takes less than an hour (I'm being generous) to open an account at another hosting provider.

TRUE - Andrews has backups AND the original site (a hosting provider can't "steal" that) and can put it all back up whenever he wants (to be fair, a couple days since it is a large site).....

GUESS: He is not going to put back the old content.
FACT: According to him, he is rebuilding the entire framework of the site from the ground up. Rewriting it.
(for what reason(s) we can only guess).....

Well, I think we have most of the items cleared now. The only part that doesn't make sense is that some here claim the domains don't work for them. That may be due to their DNS providers. I always use googles on my computer (8.8.8.8) and it resolves both Domains to the message from Andrew.

Goodnight and good luck.
I think he's working towards making the site more "fireproof." Take BitChute for example. Not an easy site to take down because it's hosted literally everywhere.

gab.ai has worked fine for me for ages. Gab.com wasn't working for me until a few minutes ago. You're the one that mentioned it might have been stolen out from under him. I hadn't heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me. This last was the second or third provider to drop him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies