Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 12:51 PM

15,066 posts, read 10,081,728 times

Advertisements

Also keep in mind the origination of banning marajuana and not alcohol or smoking tobacco is rooted in racism and later for profit.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:53 PM

2,448 posts, read 891,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Posters keep saying "addiction". There is a dispute among experts about that. Many say that it is not addictive at all. While virtually all say that there are no withdrawl symptoms from cessation of use.
No, "many" experts in the field do not say that. That is yet again more propaganda you're being fed and you're not questioning it.

The issue of "withdrawal symptoms" is also incredibly misleading. Contrary to popular misconception, heroin withdrawal is comparatively easy for many/most compared to alcohol addiction or even something like nicotine addiction. Does that mean we should be less concerned about heroin addiction?

Old 10-28-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Also keep in mind the origination of banning marajuana and not alcohol or smoking tobacco is rooted in racism and later for profit.
Yet another logical fallacy!

Let's say murder laws turned out to actually be rooted in an ancient belief by the Amudi tribe that aliens in spaceships traveled to earth and designed cracks on the cave walls which stated that murder is always wrong, and this tradition of banning murder continued through millennia. Would that invalidate murder laws?

Old 10-28-2018, 12:58 PM

19,713 posts, read 10,099,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
No, "many" experts in the field do not say that. That is yet again more propaganda you're being fed and you're not questioning it.

The issue of "withdrawal symptoms" is also incredibly misleading. Contrary to popular misconception, heroin withdrawal is comparatively easy for many/most compared to alcohol addiction or even something like nicotine addiction. Does that mean we should be less concerned about heroin addiction?
Apparently you only believe studies that mirror your beliefs.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:01 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,109,971 times
Quote:
Of course, and the same is true of the adult homeless population. Are the kids who show up at my school with drug paraphernalia and weed t-shirts usually our honor students with good behavior records? Of course not. Invariably they are our poor academic performers with miscreant behavior records. Shocking, isn't it? Also shocking that their parents usually use, too. My father, who I believe still favors decriminalization, was an administrator in drug abuse treatment for decades and far and away, the greatest predictor for whether a kids uses and/or drinks is if his/her parents used/drank. It reinforces what I say about 30/40/50 year-olds still toking up: they're losers and they're likely passing on their moronic behavior to their kids because they model it. Kids know when their parents are using, always, even if the parent thinks he/she is doing it out of sight.
To this day, I still feel sad for the kids I failed to help. They were bright and healthy in every respect. The only thing that held them back was they couldn't stop using.

You know the popular saying that you can't trust an addict? That is 100% true. They will lie, cheat, steal, whatever it takes to get their next fix.

I once took a few of these youths to Eureka Springs, AR for a getaway and tour of the place. Their faces completely lit up when they saw a store that advertised candy and other consumable stuff made from "legal" drugs. They begged me to buy them those.

I have seen first hand how pot has ruined lives of young people. And here we are our pothead inhabitants of this forum telling us non-users to try it out. Are we inferior for not wanting to use mind altering drugs?

Old 10-28-2018, 01:03 PM

15,066 posts, read 10,081,728 times
Quote:
Yet another logical fallacy!

Let's say murder laws turned out to actually be rooted in an ancient belief by the Amudi tribe that aliens in spaceships traveled to earth and designed cracks on the cave walls which stated that murder is always wrong, and this tradition of banning murder continued through millennia. Would that invalidate murder laws?
You preface with letsay for good reason.. Because it is simple a deflection with a grossly false story.

Laws around marajuana ban were indeed pushed due to racism and later for profit.. Cotton lobby. What is false pretense is the notion that the ban was for health reasons that were adequately researched and debated accordance to how our legal system works.

Legalize it and try to pass laws based on health debate.... It will most likely remain legal.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Apparently you only believe studies that mirror your beliefs.
As luck would have it, for a couple decades I argued for legalization, friend. I used to be a libertarian and held all sort of fanciful, delusional beliefs, like the ones you see displayed in this thread from legalization advocates. I believed all these things for the same basic reason the folks in this thread do: they don't know much about the subject. Along with the pot users who simply want to rationalize their misbehavior, of course.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:08 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,109,971 times
Quote:
Posters keep saying "addiction". There is a dispute among experts about that. Many say that it is not addictive at all. While virtually all say that there are no withdrawl symptoms from cessation of use.
Addiction is like hunger. There are two types: physical and emotional. Experts can only study physical. People sometimes eat without feeling hunger pains because they are emotionally hungry.

In the same way, addicts can be emotionally addicted to the drug of choice without being physically addicted.

Again, addicts will lie, cheat, steal, whatever it takes to get their next fix. Emotional addiction is just as potent as physical.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:09 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,108,000 times
Quote:
As luck would have it, for a couple decades I argued for legalization, friend. I used to be a libertarian and held all sort of fanciful, delusional beliefs, like the ones you see displayed in this thread from legalization advocates. I believed all these things for the same basic reason the folks in this thread do: they don't know much about the subject. Along with the pot users who simply want to rationalize their misbehavior, of course.
“Misbehavior”
Sounds like someone that just wants to control folks..
God forbid someone has a smoke on their day off..

Old 10-28-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
You preface with letsay for good reason.. Because it is simple a deflection with a grossly false story.

Laws around marajuana ban were indeed pushed due to racism and later for profit.. Cotton lobby. What is false pretense is the notion that the ban was for health reasons that were adequately researched and debated accordance to how our legal system works.

Legalize it and try to pass laws based on health debate.... It will most likely remain legal.
Yes, you are making a logical fallacy. Even if drug laws were actually yet another grand conspiracy against black folks, it doesn't follow that current drug laws should be abandoned. Opposition to and prohibition against drug use dates back at least to the Old Testament, as I pointed out to Raddo the other day.

You believe profit isn't driving the push for legalization, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.