Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 12:47 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
There's a place in society for unions, but public sector unions are destroying us.
No, they aren’t destroying us. Public workers should make a decent wage, just like private sector workers should.

The solution is to have more and stronger private sector unions. Union busting isn’t going to solve anything and just plays into the hands of the ruling class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 12:55 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Same question as the other thread:

Why does the government need to offer you anything or do anything for you? I would like them to do as little as possible and keep their hands out of my pocket.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:43 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Republicans have little to offer me because they aren't right wing enough for me. For example I favor drastic cuts in welfare for the able bodied. Republicans don't even try to do this.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:51 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Republicans have little to offer me because they aren't right wing enough for me. For example I favor drastic cuts in welfare for the able bodied. Republicans don't even try to do this.
In theory (and in my younger days) I'd agree with you; but for the fact that greater participation in a diverse labor force tends to diminish the value of educational credentials and grind most of us down into interchangeable parts. Employers, especially in smaller businesses, know who's encumbered, and who's not, and seek to confine everyone to his/her own pigeonhole, with limited options -- or none at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Historically, unions were the ordinarily middle / working class. Welfare exists for middle / working class people who fall on hard times due to job loss, physical or mental illness, disability, etc.

The Democrats should absolutely stop supporting illegal immigration, IMO. But they probably won’t because there is a lot of campaign contribution money coming from industries that benefit from illegal immigration.
Labor unions have an over-rated reputation in America due to the success of the "sit-down" strikes of the 1930's and the power they wielded after 1945, when the (North) American industrial colossus was the only game in town. In a globalized economy, the former captive customers of a once-dominant enterprise have somewhere else to go.

Unions also have more say in capital intensive industries (more dollars invested per worker) such as oil and chemicals, utilities, and railroads, but because the potential for serious injury the event of an accident is much greater here, so is the discipline and micro-management, Employers demand, and get, the safest labor force available, and they're willing to pay a bit more for it.

I held a union card (United Food and Commercial Workers - AFLCIO) for eighteen years, while working for a major potato chip and snack food producer. Labor relations were cordial, for the most part, and union stewards sometimes became front-line supervisors. And aggressive junior foremen tended to learn early-on what was, and was not possible under the contract. The rank and file accepted this, trading a knowledge that their labor wasn't that unique, in return for security.

The company fell upon hard times and the market area shrank -- mostly because other non-union competitors could serve outlying markets more efficiently. One of these years, just as with brands of beer such as Rolling Rock and Schlitz, the locals are likely to find out that the brands they're loyal to can be produced in somebody else's plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
This is the THIRD time you have brought in this link. I was wondering if you were obsessed with this comment of mine and why but then I saw a VERY lengthy post by you in regards to Scalia that bordered on fawning adulation of the man. Clearly you are not only obsessed with me, but with Antonin Scalia and well, and I committed heresy with my comment.

As bad as the Supreme Court looks now, it looks much better with Scalia no longer on it.
Yours was not the only "cheap shot" displayed via the link I posted, and I didn't write those hateful words; If you don't like being called out, think before you post next time around.

After the display of spinelessness shown in the Kelo vs City of New London decision (2005), it became clear that Scalia was the only Justice left with any sense of autonomy and independence.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-29-2018 at 03:05 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 02:27 PM

132 posts, read 144,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
No, they aren’t destroying us. Public workers should make a decent wage, just like private sector workers should.

The solution is to have more and stronger private sector unions. Union busting isn’t going to solve anything and just plays into the hands of the ruling class.
As long as union membership is voluntary, there is nothing wrong with workers unionizing, especially with increased corporatism in our economy.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:36 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
A robust and growing economy, good GDP growth - which they inherited from Obama, but OK
Low unemployment - ditto
Lower tax rates, yet higher Federal revenue - no, revenue is down and deficit is up
Less onerous regulations - meaning more pollution, got it
Better Trade Deals - like tariffs that hurt US businesses?
More Secure Borders - apparently not yet, since we're so scared of some poor unarmed migrant caravan
Less illegals stealican resources - above
Less Identity Politics - no, just switch identity to old white males
Better judicial appointees - still waiting
Respect for the Constitution - selective
Upholding the Second and First Amendments - ditto

Old 10-29-2018, 02:59 PM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,990 times
A robust and growing economy, good GDP growth - which they inherited from Obama, but OK How come Obama couldn't get GDP above 2% and he mentioned it's the new 'normal'? Trump gets elected and POOF the economy takes off. Sure, it's Obama's economy.
Low unemployment - ditto Both parties are messing with the numbers. They stopped counting people who are no longer looking for work. This started under Obama and Trump didn't change this policy.
Lower tax rates, yet higher Federal revenue - no, revenue is down and deficit is up Do you know what Obama did to the deficit? Do some research.
Less onerous regulations - meaning more pollution, got it Really? Where's the proof that either Obama's regulations meant less pollution or Trump's more pollution?
Better Trade Deals - like tariffs that hurt US businesses? No, deals that don't rip off the American people. A global economy is great if everyone is treated equally. We were not, and that's also why we pulled out of Paris.
More Secure Borders - apparently not yet, since we're so scared of some poor unarmed migrant caravan The military has been deployed to the US Border (not the National Guard). Trump is working on the wall. Do you think a Clinton admin would have done any of these things?
Less illegals stealican resources - above Not sure what this means.
Less Identity Politics - no, just switch identity to old white males You're missing the point. Under Obama everyone was important except the average white American. But keep on playing identity politics, it's a guaranteed GOP winner
Better judicial appointees - still waiting 2 SCOTUS appoints and record number of federal judges appointed.
Respect for the Constitution - selectiveHow come? Which part of the constitution is selective under the Trump admin?
Upholding the Second and First Amendments - ditto Now you're really not making sense.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:25 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Some people are. Trash is a adjective after white and separates white trash from other whites. Not racist
It's a racist term to call people trash because of their color. If I said the blacks that voted for Obama were black trash, it wold be similarly racist.....half of a nation are not trash because you disagree with their political perspective.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:05 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's a racist term to call people trash because of their color. If I said the blacks that voted for Obama were black trash, it wold be similarly racist.....half of a nation are not trash because you disagree with their political perspective.
No one said that all Trump voters were "poor white trash", but some of them are.

Just my opinion, of course. Don't take it so personally, especially someone like yourself with your track record.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:39 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
We all know they have offered huge tax breaks to the wealthiest 1%, but what do they offer the poor white trash you see at Trump rallies? They offer them an outlet to blame someone. Blacks, Jews, Mexicans, etc., etc., this is what they offer.

It's like going to a professional sporting event, you go to root for your team, and shout down the opposition. But this is something entirely new, a President who has demonized anyone who disagrees with them, and the foaming and frothing mob has completely brought in. They get a sense of community with fellow Trump supporters and they have an authoritarian who makes them feel "safe", being as most of these people live in a constant state of fear of anyone who does not look and speak exactly as they do.

And, of course, they have someone else to blame for them being poor and lacking expensive medical insurance. And that is enough for your average Trump supporter.
Right, it's pretty bad...and what do his followers believe he is doing to improve their lives? As you say, he directs them to others whom have nothing to do with it, having made them scapegoats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies