Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 02:09 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,180 times

Advertisements

Gas in half of europe in more expensive than here. I think all this 'sky is falling' choose gas or food for my family is so funny. All the drama.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
The oil companies are enjoying their best ever years right now because the government is being run by a pair of big oil guys.

WOW.. A REAL photo of Cheney showing Bush how to ride an Exxon and Mobil sponsoried bike.. It must be true then!!..

I failed to see the gas powered engine on that bike, which makes the photo funnier then the one who photo shopped the image..

Old 04-05-2008, 05:08 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
WOW.. A REAL photo of Cheney showing Bush how to ride an Exxon and Mobil sponsoried bike.. It must be true then!!..

I failed to see the gas powered engine on that bike, which makes the photo funnier then the one who photo shopped the image..

You Dubyites are so humorless.

Unca Dick is helping little Dubya give it a try without training wheels. I know, I know... it just isn't as funny when you've had to have it explained to you.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
You Dubyites are so humorless.

Unca Dick is helping little Dubya give it a try without training wheels. I know, I know... it just isn't as funny when you've had to have it explained to you.
It still isnt funny. If anything, it says that they are not in bed with the oil companies because they are encouraging people to use alternative transportation instead of a gas hog.

There is no gas engine... Making the photo just outright stupid.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:53 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
I understand the widespread frustration out there. We hear, like above, that the oil companies have us hostage. We hear that there is price gouging.

Will those with that feeling, please answer a question:

As I have pointed out ad nauseum, Exxon last year made 10.4% return after paying $30 billion in federal income taxes, $69 billion in other taxes (sales, etc.), and helping countless pension funds and 401K accounts get a whole heck of a lot better return than what Social Security type investments (government bonds) could possibly have provided. Over the past ten years, Exxon had an average return on sales of 7.7%.

Now my question (a two parter):

a) Is getting less than 8 cents on a sales dollar price gouging or holding us hostage? and
b) If so, should companies likes Disney, Viacom, large law firms, (who make much more than 8 cents on the dollar), entertainers, athletes, etc. be limited in the amount of money that they can make?

If your answer is Exxon cannot make 7.7% because they are bad, but entertainment companies, lawyers, etc., can make much more because those industries are goodness against a sea of evil corporations, or they deserve it because it makes my family feel good to go to Disney World, then I think that there is a bit of hypocracy going on.
Some people don't want to hear a logical argument... it defeats the emotional argument... facts tend to get in the way. It's been said many times before, the huge pressure the middle class feels is due to actual inflation versus reported inflation (CPI). Much of this is due to our weak dollar which is due to government spending with not enough tax revenues to make up for the spending.

The other component is allowing OPEC pricing to push higher. If we forced higher production domestically, we could ignore OPEC and reduce the price of crude, where most of the price of gasoline is derived.

But it's easier to blame the big bad companies for making a profit.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:34 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It still isnt funny. If anything, it says that they are not in bed with the oil companies because they are encouraging people to use alternative transportation instead of a gas hog.

There is no gas engine... Making the photo just outright stupid.

You go to great lengths to justify your sympathy for Bush/Cheney and the big oil corps.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:03 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Gas in half of europe in more expensive than here. I think all this 'sky is falling' choose gas or food for my family is so funny. All the drama.

But, if the Iraq War is as many including Alan Greenspan say, for oil, how does the US cost of gas compare when we factor in the cost of the war?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
You go to great lengths to justify your sympathy for Bush/Cheney and the big oil corps.
I go through great lengths to justify whats accurate.. Something that you dome seem to be worried about..

Old 04-06-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But, if the Iraq War is as many including Alan Greenspan say, for oil, how does the US cost of gas compare when we factor in the cost of the war?
Considering that in the 1990's, Iraq oil exports were around 300,000 barrels of oil per day, and now its around 2,000,000 per day.. I'd say its part of the reason we dont have $5 per gallon prices.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:47 AM

711 posts, read 932,877 times
Default Deserving big oik

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
I understand the widespread frustration out there. We hear, like above, that the oil companies have us hostage. We hear that there is price gouging.

Will those with that feeling, please answer a question:

As I have pointed out ad nauseum, Exxon last year made 10.4% return after paying $30 billion in federal income taxes, $69 billion in other taxes (sales, etc.), and helping countless pension funds and 401K accounts get a whole heck of a lot better return than what Social Security type investments (government bonds) could possibly have provided. Over the past ten years, Exxon had an average return on sales of 7.7%.

Now my question (a two parter):

a) Is getting less than 8 cents on a sales dollar price gouging or holding us hostage? and
b) If so, should companies likes Disney, Viacom, large law firms, (who make much more than 8 cents on the dollar), entertainers, athletes, etc. be limited in the amount of money that they can make?

If your answer is Exxon cannot make 7.7% because they are bad, but entertainment companies, lawyers, etc., can make much more because those industries are goodness against a sea of evil corporations, or they deserve it because it makes my family feel good to go to Disney World, then I think that there is a bit of hypocracy going on.
IMO comparing big oil corps. profits with those of non-essential entities is not a proper comparison.
Disney and the legal community are mostly matters of personal choice that unlike oil doesn't nessasarily have the impact on national security, on the overall economy in general. Oil is unique in many aspects.

As far as your profit figures you fail to point out that they are net.

If the pension plans and other investments are an issue I say there are plenty of solid areas where these investments can be made. Oil may not continue to be the preferred investment it once was either--there is a growing public discontent and hopefully American oil corps. will be addressed and remedied--finally.

How many essential consumer products have increased 64% in price in 18 months? And I might add carried 101 other consumer products with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies