Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:59 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

To those who are still using oil for home heating - SWITCH to something else for Petes sake - There are newer - more modern heating systems out there!

Why anyone would use oil to heat in this day and age is beyond me

As for the "profit" issues: Oil Companies get somewhere around 6 to 8 cents per gallon profit. A pittance on a per gallon scale. Nothing.

AND, if you are really whinning about their profits - I would have to assume you have no retirement funds invested in Oil stocks - for, if you do - then you are being hypocritical IMHO.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I go through great lengths to justify whats accurate.. Something that you dome seem to be worried about..

Your problem is that you seem to think that accurate is opinion-based.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:16 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
We need to start the conversion to solar and wind power for our homes. Then go for cars that eliminate the use of gas... this would be the best defense to the price of fuel. It would also protect the environment and save our pocket book... to say nothing about creating a new industry. It would also make it harder fort he government to place the 48c/ gallon tax on the power generated.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:20 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Then go for cars that eliminate the use of gas... this .
GM road-tests batteries for Volt electric car

The lithium-ion batteries to be used in General Motors' Chevrolet Volt electric car will soon be installed and tested in specially-equipped versions of the Chevrolet Malibu, the company said.

GM testing Volt batteries - Apr. 3, 2008 (http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/03/autos/bc.na.fin.com.us.gm.volt/?postversion=2008040315 - broken link)

Old 04-06-2008, 10:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Your problem is that you seem to think that accurate is opinion-based.
Then please point out what part of my response was not accurate, without making yet another personal attack this time.

Lets start again.. the photo shows Cheney, pushing Bush on a bike.. a bike not run by an engine, meaning no motor oil is being used.

The photo also shows an Exxon and Mobile sign (like a race car) on the bike, meaning that they have sponsored the bike.

The photo then means, that either Exxon or Mobile are sponsoring greener ways to get around and encouraging alternative energy sources other then motor oil, (since none is being used), or the photo was just really a poor attempt at making an attack at Bush/Cheney.

My contention is that the photo made a poor attempt at an attack, if you want to argue that Exxon and Mobile are sponsoring alternative energy and they want people to use greener ways to get around, please connect the dots.

Until then, the photo should have been a huge, limousine, with Bush and Cheney's head sticking out, and Jet engines along the side.... burning down the freeway at 90 mph, with 55 mph signs being posted. That would have made an argument that you attempted to make, but to show Bush and Cheney using an environmentally mode of transportation, and then to attempt to link them to big oil is a backwards argument.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:31 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Then please point out what part of my response was not accurate, without making yet another personal attack this time.

Lets start again.. the photo shows Cheney, pushing Bush on a bike.. a bike not run by an engine, meaning no motor oil is being used.

The photo also shows an Exxon and Mobile sign (like a race car) on the bike, meaning that they have sponsored the bike.

The photo then means, that either Exxon or Mobile are sponsoring greener ways to get around and encouraging alternative energy sources other then motor oil, (since none is being used), or the photo was just really a poor attempt at making an attack at Bush/Cheney.

My contention is that the photo made a poor attempt at an attack, if you want to argue that Exxon and Mobile are sponsoring alternative energy and they want people to use greener ways to get around, please connect the dots.

Until then, the photo should have been a huge, limousine, with Bush and Cheney's head sticking out, and Jet engines along the side.... burning down the freeway at 90 mph, with 55 mph signs being posted. That would have made an argument that you attempted to make, but to show Bush and Cheney using an environmentally mode of transportation, and then to attempt to link them to big oil is a backwards argument.
Even if I amplified my previous explanation, your bias wouldn't allow you to find any humor.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Even if I amplified my previous explanation, your bias wouldn't allow you to find any humor.

So when the previous photo didnt prove your point, you try to then attack me again (I note you failed to read the previous posting where it says.. no personal attacks), and try a new photo...

Lets review the new photo.. nope.. no oil, no gas powered engines, why it doesnt even have a dollar sign in it, why I contend that even the new photo is off topic.. Why the photo cropper couldnt even get the shades of blue right (which is basic 101 in cropping)

Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Well considering the topic header was rather inflammatory to start with and we are now discussion the merits of photoshop. I think we have seen enough with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies