Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 07:40 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times

Advertisements

Interestingly enough, I didn’t watch and I used to be a huge fan of the NFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 07:40 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
If the NFL were consistent on these things, then that would be nice. But you can't protest against abortion. You can't protest in favor of abortion. Tim Tebow was actually good enough to stick around, but his unapologetic religiousness and praying offending some people, so like Kapernick, at some point nobody was willing to sign the guy. Players were told they couldn't wear a tribute to the Dallas cops that were massacred.

The NFL has been pretty consistent at keeping politics off of the field. Now we can see why. It just pisses off a lot of people and distracts from the game.

I have no issue with the protest, nor do I take issue with the NFL trying to suppress it. I do think the mode of protest is extremely weird. Kneeling for the national anthem? Are you worshiping the flag? Are you signaling your submission to the rules, laws and government of the United States of America? If your core protest is to stick up to "the big orange bully" Trump, are you now worshipping him and signalling your submission?

Yes black people get shot by cops. Its a problem. The bigger problem happens when entities like BLM get their way and the cops are forced to stop patrolling the worst black neighborhoods. The rate of all violent crimes tend to double or triple overnight. The core issue of police brutality -- yes it is an issue. American cops are more rough and tumble and arrogant than any others in the free world, at least on average. But it's not necessarily a race thing. White people, asian people, Native Americans and Hispanics are also victims here. Black people in problem neighborhoods are more likely to have an encounter with the police than elsewhere, this is true. But if you look at the numbers, once the encounter with the police has begun, whites are more likely than blacks to end up getting shot as a result. The police are fully aware that if they do everything exactly right, but a black guy gets shot, there will be riots. It makes absolutely no difference how it all plays out. Guaranteed riots. But if a white or Asian guy gets shot, crickets. Nobody cares. Nothing to see here. No scandal. Perhaps that's why they're apparently showing slightly greater restraint on average when having an interaction with a black person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMAwrCc_qXU

Old 11-02-2018, 07:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
She’s on the clock. Its up to her boss.
If she is fired, it will be one Hell of a lawsuit. I mean the owners never fired a player for doing this but a cheerleader is "expendable" sounds rather sexist. Then again the Niners have been an organizational dumpster fire since the Super Bowl they played the Ravens.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:20 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I said these people could be taking a knee for any number of reasons, everybody's got a gripe against the government for something.
I'd take a knee protesting an authoritarian deep state that sold the country out decades ago. Am I protesting police racism? Not hardly. But the guy next to me can take a knee for whatever reason he wants. And we'd be united in supporting each others beliefs.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:22 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,641 times
She gonna regret losing them $75 game checks

Old 11-02-2018, 08:27 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
San Francisco- what do you expect?

Old 11-02-2018, 08:29 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
The Raiders probably could use her help on defense.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:30 AM

10,752 posts, read 4,342,219 times
They gonna take a knee if there is a Democrat President?
Black (and White, and Hispanic, and Asian) thugs will still be shot regardless of who is President.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:30 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
They gonna take a knee when there is a Democrat President?
Yes, the player kneeling started during the Obama Administration.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:31 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
*shrug* if she's fired she'll "go fund me" for about 6-figs and get to do the talk show circuit.

I honestly don't care either way.

It's not like she lit herself on fire at mid-field like a buddist monk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies