Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 01:32 PM

7,704 posts, read 12,540,083 times

Advertisements

Medical marijuana for children. It hasn't been studied remotely long enough to be considered safe for them to intake or apply topically. It's absolutely mind boggling that hospitals allow this to occur.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:39 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,727,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
The use of cell phones in cars unless they are parked (yes, even hands-free). I would like to see mandatory factory installed cell phone jammers that activate the moment a car is put into gear. The phones would work fine when parked in case of emergencies.
How about radios too? Or are phones the only thing capable of distracting a driver?

Old 11-02-2018, 01:52 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,286,103 times
Passing gas in public should be a misdemeanor offense.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:06 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,648,866 times
Quote:
The use of cell phones in cars unless they are parked (yes, even hands-free). I would like to see mandatory factory installed cell phone jammers that activate the moment a car is put into gear. The phones would work fine when parked in case of emergencies.
I think this is a horrible idea. Sometimes, people are in an emergency situation that requires them to be driving and there's nothing wrong with talking on a phone hands-free while driving.

Suppose you are in a dangerous situation, being threatened by someone else, having chest pain, your wife is in labor, etc. You want someone to have to pull over and park in order to be able to use their cell phone?

No! If I'm in any of the situations I mentioned above (and I can think of many more) I am NOT going to pull over and park in order to make what could be a life saving phone call.

Not to mention the fact that there are often passengers who might want or need to make a phone call.

Think again!

Old 11-02-2018, 02:38 PM

3,334 posts, read 2,258,074 times
Some states that still hangs on to the uncivilized doctrine of Sovereign immunity, or qualified immunity which in practice become "unqualifed" immunity. These are judge ordered doctrines a hundred years ago that are never written in law and is never constitutional. This had allowed government officials to escape not only criminal prosecution but even civil liability. So ends up being taxpayers liability as a result of their criminal action even those where they are more than 100% guilty of. Most advanced civilized countries today don't allow this to happen. Sovereign immunity against its own citizens and laws fell down with the abolishment of their monarchys. Remember I am not referring to country to country sovereign immunity as outlined in the 11th amendment which mirrors international law that bars International suits from one state/country to the next.

Another one of my pet peeves is how local and state governments don't seem to consider human's basic need of needing a place to relief themselves and to wash their hands. They should really incorporate minimum number of toilets and sinks into zoning codes. I.e requiring commercial zones and strip malls to have a minimum number of "public toilets" Yet they do not., despite being a nanny in other issues. Currently the population needs to beg private business owners for the privilege to relief themselves. As the only truely public facilities are in public buildings which are rare. Its interesting how the government tend to focus more on access of transgenders use of public restrooms, rather than the public health of all people. I would be curious wouldn't any politician gone through the pain of not being able to find a restroom and hoping to find one before they can hold on no more? We do have the American restroom Association which do state that the uniform plumbing code does require toilets for all occupants of a building and that toilet access is a right for all Americans, but they appear to be weak in terms of lobbying power.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:09 PM

15,086 posts, read 7,129,040 times
Quote:
So, passengers shouldn't be able to use a cell phone in a moving vehicle?

Old 11-02-2018, 06:52 PM

6,033 posts, read 4,382,757 times
Credit card interest rates and the fine print that goes along with them.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:17 PM

15,023 posts, read 9,981,608 times
Property tax. It never ends and it doesn't reflect ability to pay nor utility of service or some product used. It's a perpetual lease.

Eminant domain as it is used these days.

I agree with certainly aspects of lobbying should be illegal. It has the potential to detract from will or representation of what is good for the constituents...

Cell phone jammer is a terrible idea from practicality, safety, and nanny government oversight views.

If they removed Marijuana from schedule 1, it would be studied more.

Last edited by usayit; 11-02-2018 at 08:19 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
someone wants to enjoy some pot in the privacy of their own home that is one thing but I foresee that there will be accidents that are caused by people under the influence.
In order for this to happen it would need to be legalized.

Legalization of Marijuana doesn't mean it will be legal to drive while under its influence. It would treated similar to driving while impaired by alcohol or prescription drugs. In some states, being caught driving high not only nets a possession charge but also a driving under influence which can sometimes be harsher penalties than simply posession.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Let's say that 60% of the people in your town get together and contribute to a fund to send you to D.C. to visit your Senator in his office, and tell him about the opinions of your town on certain issues.
Does that make you a "lobbyist", or are you simply a "concerned citizen"?
I think there is no doubt, you would be a lobbyist!
No... Because funding your expenses to talk to a representative doesn't necessarily mean you are a lobbyist. By that definition, sending a letter is also being a lobbyist.

Many elected officials are paid six figure sums by lobbying groups to sway their vote. That's different from simply asking for time to voice community concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies