Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 07:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When the economy hurts, individuals end up hurting too.
Yes, but it hurts a lot less without all these mooches....just like its bad to fall overboard if you can't swim. But if you have someone else that also can't swim hanging onto you, its gonna be even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's weird, because the migrant caravan has a legal right to come and request asylum.
You've been corrected several times and advised that you are wrong. The law such as it is, requires them to seek asylum in the FIRST SAFE COUNTRY they enter...which is NEVER the United States.
Why do you keep repeating this lie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 08:03 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
When the country is flooded with cheap labor, Americans end up hurting even more.

Which is why most countries do not allow it. Only a country that has two parties dominated by corporations would do something so incredibly stupid and unethical that hurts their own people.

Why on Earth would our leaders deliberately import millions of poor uneducated people into the country to compete directly with their own people? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The only explanation is greed.
^this^
and thank you.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:04 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Yes, but it hurts a lot less without all these mooches....just like its bad to fall overboard if you can't swim. But if you have someone else that also can't swim hanging onto you, its gonna be even worse.

You've been corrected several times and advised that you are wrong. The law such as it is, requires them to seek asylum in the FIRST SAFE COUNTRY they enter...which is NEVER the United States.
Define " safe". "Safe" for you? For me?

Old 11-02-2018, 08:08 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They don't want asylum.
Don't be naive
Mexico offered them that and more, but they refused it.
True colors came out on that one.

Meanwhile there are kids still being kidnapped in DRC and beaten and tortured to become child soldiers...real asylum seekers.

It's rare that I get called naive, so thanks for that.

If I felt I needed to go and seek asylum, I would chose the US over Mexico. Anyway, around 1700 accepted it from Mexico, so when people keep saying THEY turned it down, it is somewhat disingenuous.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't consider them valid asylum seekers, they are from countries where we have been granting the most asylums.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-02-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post

It's not a lie, and I've posted the supporting laws and such numerous times. Our laws state they can come and request asylum, and they can even do it if they have come in illegally.

If you don't want to believe that, I will still sleep well at night.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:14 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
^this^
and thank you.
There used to be a time in this country when the parties were split between workers and corporations.
Now both parties are owned by the corporations.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
There used to be a time in this country when the parties were split between workers and corporations.
Now both parties are owned by the corporations.

Absolutely. Most them don't even care about the issues they fight about, they pick the issues they feel will get them votes.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:24 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
They have already rejected asylum from other countries....they no longer qualify.

This isn't about asylum, this is an invasion.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:52 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
No, it means excessive wages for shareholders and upper management need to take a paycut.
No, if there are fewer people in the next generation you end up with a whole slew of problems when the older generation goes to retire. Like the upcoming issues with Social Security with the baby boomers.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:54 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I think most people would agree with that.

But the problem is that the United States population growth has not just been growing --- it has been exploding. In 1970 the US population was 203 million. Today it is an estimated 328 million. That is an increase of 125 million in less then 50 years!

And that huge increase of cheap labor flooding the country has not just been at the expense of the American worker; stagnant wages, pensions disappearing, increasing part time minimum wage jobs, etc. - it has been the expense of the environment. And the taxpayer.

Some immigration is a good thing, especially if it is skilled labor. The cultural enrichment factor alone makes it worthwhile. But the amount of immigration needs to have some kind of relationship with the economy and the unemployment rate and it should not be so much that it hurts the wages of American workers.
The overall population growth rate has been declining since the 1990s. Now at 0.7%, with all the immigration. We would be shrinking without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies