U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,592 posts, read 11,645,281 times
Reputation: 4007

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
In fact, they are having to sue just to get equal access to colleges--in 2018!

Following the Civil War, the very existence of blacks, Indians, and Hispanics was at least grudgingly accepted. But there were numerous efforts to completely banish Asians. It was thought that they were incapable of assimilation. On Nov 3, 1885, Tacoma, WA, then still vying with Seattle for regional dominance, expelled all Chinese. The local paper suggested that the date should become an annual holiday to celebrate. California law prohibited marriage between whites and 'Mongolians,' until 1948!

Stanford historian Richard White writes:


And of course there was the internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII. No other group ever faced a similar attack in all of US history.

Yet today we see little help coming from government for Asians as with other people of color. Democrats have given Asian Americans short shrift when it comes help. Not surprisingly, Asian Americans are not nearly the solid voting block for democrats as African Americans are. In the 2014 midterms, Asian Americans actually voted over 50% for Republicans. Hillary Clinton got 89% of the black vote, and only 65% of the Asian vote. This needs to become an area of focus for Democrats in the coming years.
I'm a very assimilated Asian American, as well as a Southerner and Christian and I'm a very staunch Republican. The American Dream and the traditional American way has worked out very well for my family and I feel blessed to be born in America to LEGAL parents. Things like Obamacare, socialism, etc are NOT good for myself or my family.

Many Asians are also small business owners who would be disproportionately affected by government overregulation. While large corporations may not like overregulation or an overly high minimum wage, its harder for small businesses to deal with overregulation and to pay a ridiculous minimum wage. Here in Louisiana, its pop and mom business owners that gave the most pushback to efforts to increase minimum wage which is terrible for small businesses especially in more rural areas.

Also like many Asian Americans I am a strong Bible believing Christian and abortion is one of the most important issues for me. I believe in the Bible literally and believe it when it explicits bans abortion as murder. The Bible also doesn't mention global warming and I don't believe in that. I have decent health insurance that was better before Obama caused my premiums to rise significantly.

And keep in mind that yes I'm an Asian American but first and foremost I'm an American, Southerner, and Louisianan too. When Obamacare skyrocketed our premiums, Asians were also affected. When the Obama EPA put people out of work by attacking the oil and gas and coal industries across America, Asians, blacks, Hispanics etc were ALL affected. I have a sense of community that transcends race and as a Louisianan I despise the EPA and its attacks on our most vital industries based on false beliefs about global warming

When the Democrats and the media constantly attack the police and make them afraid to do their jobs and our streets become less safe, Asians are also affected.

My race is only a minor part of who I am. In terms of what's best for myself and my family, the Democrats have got nothing to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM
Status: "MAGA" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: New Jersey
10,515 posts, read 6,002,817 times
Reputation: 10327
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And what kind of nonsense rubbish are you talking about? Cites, please.
The whole topic is replete with examples. There is a case that will probably go to SCOTUS right now challenging blatant, un-apologetic, open, race-based discrimination in American Universities against Asians championed and defended by liberal democrats under "affirmative action" policies. Democrats today think they are somehow different from the people who made a law in that town banning all Chinese. They're no different, they just use a different excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
8,332 posts, read 5,853,599 times
Reputation: 5287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The whole topic is replete with examples. There is a case that will probably go to SCOTUS right now challenging blatant, un-apologetic, open, race-based discrimination in American Universities against Asians championed and defended by liberal democrats under "affirmative action" policies. Democrats today think they are somehow different from the people who made a law in that town banning all Chinese. They're no different, they just use a different excuse.

Nope. You're just gaslighting here.

I'm not fooled at all by Ed Blum's role in it - he's just using Asian Americans as stalking horses to preserve white priviledge in the form of legacy admissions and athletic admits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
8,332 posts, read 5,853,599 times
Reputation: 5287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm a very assimilated Asian American, as well as a Southerner and Christian and I'm a very staunch Republican. The American Dream and the traditional American way has worked out very well for my family and I feel blessed to be born in America to LEGAL parents. Things like Obamacare, socialism, etc are NOT good for myself or my family.

Many Asians are also small business owners who would be disproportionately affected by government overregulation. While large corporations may not like overregulation or an overly high minimum wage, its harder for small businesses to deal with overregulation and to pay a ridiculous minimum wage. Here in Louisiana, its pop and mom business owners that gave the most pushback to efforts to increase minimum wage which is terrible for small businesses especially in more rural areas.

Also like many Asian Americans I am a strong Bible believing Christian and abortion is one of the most important issues for me. I believe in the Bible literally and believe it when it explicits bans abortion as murder. The Bible also doesn't mention global warming and I don't believe in that. I have decent health insurance that was better before Obama caused my premiums to rise significantly.

And keep in mind that yes I'm an Asian American but first and foremost I'm an American, Southerner, and Louisianan too. When Obamacare skyrocketed our premiums, Asians were also affected. When the Obama EPA put people out of work by attacking the oil and gas and coal industries across America, Asians, blacks, Hispanics etc were ALL affected. I have a sense of community that transcends race and as a Louisianan I despise the EPA and its attacks on our most vital industries based on false beliefs about global warming

When the Democrats and the media constantly attack the police and make them afraid to do their jobs and our streets become less safe, Asians are also affected.

My race is only a minor part of who I am. In terms of what's best for myself and my family, the Democrats have got nothing to offer.
I'm also an Asian American, 2nd generation, and I have diametrically the opposite political views as you, that are equally if not more valid. And unlike you, I actually value having clean air and water in my home state of California. If it wasn't for our more stringent regulations, Los Angeles would still look like Beijing does today in terms of its air pollution.

In fact, environmental regulations have contributed to the growth of renewable energy in our state and lots of job growth. It's disappointing to hear that you've bought the rubbish that the fossil fuel industry is peddling lock, stock and barrel on climate change, but maybe it's understandable given that they've bought your state government accordingly.

Our state is mistakenly characterized as being "anti-business" but believe it or not, we're actually one of the top petroleum producing states in the nation. Yep, even with Jerry Brown as governor, who isn't actually all that hostile to oil companies, believe it or not. They just don't get everything they ask for. I'm not sure if that's true of your state government.

Last edited by silverkris; Yesterday at 01:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:06 AM
 
17,995 posts, read 9,875,337 times
Reputation: 17493
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Nope. You're just gaslighting here.

I'm not fooled at all by Ed Blum's role in it - he's just using Asian Americans as stalking horses to preserve white priviledge in the form of legacy admissions and athletic admits.
Yep. And Blum knows how he's going to keep out Asians, once he can make racial considerations illegal.

As smart as Asians might be, a lot of them have been duped into thinking that such white people as Blum are really pushing meritocracy. They aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
8,332 posts, read 5,853,599 times
Reputation: 5287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yep. And Blum knows how he's going to keep out Asians, once he can make racial considerations illegal.

As smart as Asians might be, a lot of them have been duped into thinking that such white people as Blum are really pushing meritocracy. They aren't.

And it's certainly possible to have more fairer evaluations of Asian Americans in the admissions category without dumping affirmative action policies. Think about it - it's really about the discrepancies between Asian American vs. white applicants in the admissions process - and the difference is accounted for by legacy and athletic admits, which disprportionately benefits white applicants. Little or nothing to do with affirmative action policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:04 AM
 
17,995 posts, read 9,875,337 times
Reputation: 17493
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And it's certainly possible to have more fairer evaluations of Asian Americans in the admissions category without dumping affirmative action policies. Think about it - it's really about the discrepancies between Asian American vs. white applicants in the admissions process - and the difference is accounted for by legacy and athletic admits, which disprportionately benefits white applicants. Little or nothing to do with affirmative action policies.
Indeed. But it's by affirmative action policies that we can even know it's happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM
 
8,771 posts, read 2,419,745 times
Reputation: 8247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm a very assimilated Asian American, as well as a Southerner and Christian and I'm a very staunch Republican. The American Dream and the traditional American way has worked out very well for my family and I feel blessed to be born in America to LEGAL parents. Things like Obamacare, socialism, etc are NOT good for myself or my family.

My race is only a minor part of who I am. In terms of what's best for myself and my family, the Democrats have got nothing to offer.
Proof positive of peer pressure.

The odds say that if you weren't in an area where "heathens" are actually discriminated against and largely cast out of society, you might be different.

Maybe....or maybe not.

But statistics matter and most of your fellow Asians are clearly more independent thinking. They believe the world is billions of years old and that common sense and morality "trumps" belonging to a certain group.

So be it. Viva La Difference...a saying made up by the very secular and liberal French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
31,528 posts, read 18,484,196 times
Reputation: 12191
I think a lot of Asian Americans just realized a long time ago that government cannot really do much for them. Not saying American government is evil just saying "improve race relationship" "can we all get along" "we are all created equal" are nothing but buzz words.

You'd be much better off (and happier) if you just try your best to improve your own life and at the same time try to be a decent human being.

It is a very simple concept and nobody needs to over analyze it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
493 posts, read 64,467 times
Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Come on, OP, that's a ridiculous claim.
OK, which of the facts cited in post #1 do you dispute? Do you dispute that all Chinese were expelled from certain West Coast cities (e.g. Tacoma WA)? Do you dispute that the WWII internment happened?

In the end it's a subjective call. Blacks suffered slavery, and Indians suffered mass slaughters and forced relocations. But only Asians were ever threatened with total banishment. To call it ridiculous is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top