U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

8,332 posts, read 5,853,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think a lot of Asian Americans just realized a long time ago that government cannot really do much for them. Not saying American government is evil just saying "improve race relationship" "can we all get along" "we are all created equal" are nothing but buzz words.

You'd be much better off (and happier) if you just try your best to improve your own life and at the same time try to be a decent human being.

It is a very simple concept and nobody needs to over analyze it.
It's not one or the other.

I do all of that and yet I care about society going a certain way too.

One thing that really needs improvement is Asian American engagement in the electoral process. Our voter participation rate is really low. I generally believe that when it comes to civics, if you're not at the table, you 're on the menu. Maybe that's why Japanese Americans have had a pretty high rate of getting involved in local politics compared to other Asian ethnicities - the internment experience certainly was a wake up call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM

31,528 posts, read 18,484,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
It's not one or the other.

I do all of that and yet I care about society going a certain way too.
Please do not make it all about you. thank you.

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

493 posts, read 64,467 times
Quote:
I think a lot of Asian Americans just realized a long time ago that government cannot really do much for them. Not saying American government is evil just saying "improve race relationship" "can we all get along" "we are all created equal" are nothing but buzz words.

You'd be much better off (and happier) if you just try your best to improve your own life and at the same time try to be a decent human being.

It is a very simple concept and nobody needs to over analyze it.
Asians have to pay their taxes like all other groups of color. I would just like to see them get something back in return, for government to fund programs to uplift them as has been done with other groups of color.

Plus as I hinted in post #1, if the Democratic party would get in front of the curve on this, they could get closer to the 90% vote from Asians as we do with African Americans. There is an ongoing effort by Republicans to fragment the African American vote, which could be compensated for by gaining more votes from the Asian American community.

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

31,528 posts, read 18,484,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Asians have to pay their taxes like all other groups of color. I would just like to see them get something back in return, for government to fund programs to uplift them as has been done with other groups of color.

Plus as I hinted in post #1, if the Democratic party would get in front of the curve on this, they could get closer to the 90% vote from Asians as we do with African Americans. There is an ongoing effort by Republicans to fragment the African American vote, which could be compensated for by gaining more votes from the Asian American community.
Here is the deal.

I think “Asians” don’t coordinate votes. 48 countries make up Asia. I think most Asians tend to look at policies as a whole and tend to judge a candidate based on their merits and policies.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but, many first generation Asians/immigrants who came to the states and worked hard and are now part of the middle or upper middle class tend to want stricter immigration rules (especially from the Middle East or other Muslim countries.) this has less to do with racism and hate but more to do with the fact that while terrorist attacks are rare in the USA, they are very common in developing countries. It’s stereotypes reinforced by experience. So they tend to not want “those people” in their new adopted home.

Asians, as they tend to be first and second generation immigrants do not yet exhibit common voting patterns along racial line that they tend to see in black and white. Most of their voting behavior depends on the specific group they belong to, and not because they are “Asian.”

It is hard to predict who will win the Asian votes.

Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Please do not make it all about you. thank you.
Huh? I've shared my personal experience and viewpoint. If you don't care or agree with it, that's fine, but you're out of line if you're trying to shut me up.

If you're trying to say that Asian Americans should just shut up and make money and don't make waves when we need to - I feel that's wrong.

Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM

Quote:

That's really on us Asian Americans to get more involved and engaged civically (voter turnout for AAs is overall pretty low). It's not about trying to "get on the gravy train" to get pork barrel benefits, but to ensure that our voices are heard.

Well, Asian Americans used to vote a lot more Republican - as late as 1992, more of them voted for Clinton vs. Bush II. It's since evolved to become about 70-73% Democratic leaning, which surprised even me.

As for the African American vote, with the way they're going, I doubt the GOP is going to make much inroads into their voting preferences. And that has little to do with whether the GOP or the Democrats are doing with Asian Americans or Latinos - the political parties have to target that appeal to the group in question.

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

48,975 posts, read 39,459,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
They work hard and achieve so much. Asians don't tend to play the victim....
*this made me laugh* on several different levels.

First off, it's a stereotype.

Secondly, Asians in the US are often skimmed off the top from other countries.

My friends recently got US citizenship and they're in the top 0.5% of US families in terms of personal education and attainment and their kids are on the same track.

Many of the asians in this country are more recent immigrants and were some of the most motivated, just like others that came here generations ago.

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

9,137 posts, read 11,684,836 times
Quote:
In fact, they are having to sue just to get equal access to colleges--in 2018!

Following the Civil War, the very existence of blacks, Indians, and Hispanics was at least grudgingly accepted. But there were numerous efforts to completely banish Asians. It was thought that they were incapable of assimilation. On Nov 3, 1885, Tacoma, WA, then still vying with Seattle for regional dominance, expelled all Chinese. The local paper suggested that the date should become an annual holiday to celebrate. California law prohibited marriage between whites and 'Mongolians,' until 1948!

Stanford historian Richard White writes:

And of course there was the internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII. No other group ever faced a similar attack in all of US history.

Yet today we see little help coming from government for Asians as with other people of color. Democrats have given Asian Americans short shrift when it comes help. Not surprisingly, Asian Americans are not nearly the solid voting block for democrats as African Americans are. In the 2014 midterms, Asian Americans actually voted over 50% for Republicans. Hillary Clinton got 89% of the black vote, and only 65% of the Asian vote. This needs to become an area of focus for Democrats in the coming years.

If white American would have used Asians for slave labor I could see them being discriminated against the most.

Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

15,711 posts, read 8,787,561 times
I cannot speak to modern discriminatory practices against Asians, but it is sadly the case that U.S. schools neglect to teach much about Asian history nor Asian immigration to the Americas. Ask the average American about Angel Island or the Chinese Exclusion Acts, and you're likely to get a blank stare. I've met people whose kitchen windows look out on Angel Island but have never visited and have no clue as to its significance.

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

11,066 posts, read 6,233,786 times
Asian americans are the most financially successful group in the country. they don't need the government to do anything for them, except maybe protect them from institution racism in college admissions for being too bright and hard working. Asian americans are kicking ass and more power to 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or